Wish List: The Albums You Most Desire

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:20 pm

amighty wrote:I recently filled a wish to get the Sonic's catalog on vinyl, at least some of it. Found "Boom" at the local record-shoppe.

Goo is actually stunningly good on vinyl...

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:26 pm

DJMurphy wrote:
amighty wrote:I recently filled a wish to get the Sonic's catalog on vinyl, at least some of it. Found "Boom" at the local record-shoppe.

Goo is actually stunningly good on vinyl...

Two different bands -
Boom is the Sonics ('60s rock band)
Goo is Sonic Youth.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:31 pm

n8 wrote:Two different bands -
Boom is the Sonics ('60s rock band)
Goo is Sonic Youth.

D'oh!! Shame on me; I should know the Sonics; a buddy of mine put "Psycho" on a comp for me. I'm thinking it was either Shecks, or a Mojo comp CD which had the song...

Although you can see how it's an easy mistake to make; for all I know, Sonic Youth might have an obscure vinyl release called Boom...

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:31 pm

i'm not much of a fetishist, but there are a scant few i do lust over...

starflyer 59 - the drop 7" - i had a mail order in for it while it was still available and got my check back with a note that it was out of print. it now sells for somewhere in the neighborhood of $130 on ebay.

the entire rhino D.I.Y. series - i have power pop vol. 1 on cd and l.a. punk on cassette, but would love to have the entire series on cd. they're all out of print and mostly pricey.

the left banke - there's gonna be a storm how this one hasn't been properly reissued is beyond me.

guns n' roses - appetite for destruction [original release lp or gold edition cd] supposedly the sonic quality is leaps & bounds different from the cassette / cd releases i've owned. i must know for myself.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:09 pm

Jake wrote:
One recent record I picked up via ebay was Having Fun with Elvis On Stage, a compilation of all of the King's between-song banter that Col. Parker put together as the first release on his own record label. It's unlistenable. And hilarious.

This is one title that I look for when visiting used record stores and the occassional garage sale.

Thought of another one:
Boss Hogg-"Drinkin' Letchin' & Lyin"
A rockin' e.p. with Christina naked on the cover. Of course, I want it just for the songs...

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Re: Wish List: The Albums You Most Desire

Postby Tim » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:04 pm

worpswede wrote:The Beatles-"Yesterday & Today" (butcher cover)
The infamous butcher shot. I'd proudly frame this baby if I owned it.

My aunt, a Beatles fanatic, has this. Its awsome, she has it nicely framed on her wall. I sometimes jokingly tell her I'm going to steal it from her. That is one hard album to find.

Adam2

Postby Adam2 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:45 am

steve-o wrote:Somewhere there is a live bootleg of Elvis Costello doing "Pretty in Pink." I'll gladly trade my first born for a copy.

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=4758

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:37 pm

Adam2 wrote:
steve-o wrote:Somewhere there is a live bootleg of Elvis Costello doing "Pretty in Pink." I'll gladly trade my first born for a copy.

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=4758

Well, shit. Christmas came early this year.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:01 pm

The Long Ryders Native Sons.

Chris G
Dotman

Re: Wish List: The Albums You Most Desire

Postby Chris G » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:26 am

---

I have one word for you: EBAY

Item #4800814400 - Game Theory - Lolita Nation

worpswede wrote:I'm not a record collector, but I play one on occassion. There are a few albums in rock history that I wish I could get my geeky little hands on. Some are verified collector's items. Others I just waited too late to get and then they sadly fell out of print. Here's a chance for GloNo'ers to list the albums they most desire. If it's readily available, then save it for Santa. This list is for that hard to find item that you peruse Ebay for or get kicked out of the record store because you always end up drooling on the counter.
My list:

The Beatles-"Yesterday & Today" (butcher cover)
The infamous butcher shot. I'd proudly frame this baby if I owned it.
Game Theory-"Big Shot Chronicles" & "Lolita Nation"
Two classic late 80's power-pop albums from Scott Miller & company. I retardedly bought them on cassette when they were first released. The cassettes eventually died, the albums fell out of print, and now I'm hoping some label re-issues the entire Game Theory catalog. Until then, I'm wishin' for 'em...
Opal-"Early Recordings"
Before Mazzy Star, there was Opal. They released one album on SST ("Happy Nightmare Baby") and then disbanded. Rough Trade then released a collection of demos before they went bankrupt. Another one of those cassette purchases that I now regret.
The Stooges-"The Complete Fun House Sessions"
Rhino Handmade's box set of the classic second album from The Stooges. Every note from the session is included and many of the songs are repeated. I don't care. I want it. But only 1,500 were made and copies are fetching high cash on Ebay.

Return to “Rants and Raves”