Wish List: The Albums You Most Desire

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Wish List: The Albums You Most Desire

Postby worpswede » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:46 pm

I'm not a record collector, but I play one on occassion. There are a few albums in rock history that I wish I could get my geeky little hands on. Some are verified collector's items. Others I just waited too late to get and then they sadly fell out of print. Here's a chance for GloNo'ers to list the albums they most desire. If it's readily available, then save it for Santa. This list is for that hard to find item that you peruse Ebay for or get kicked out of the record store because you always end up drooling on the counter.
My list:

The Beatles-"Yesterday & Today" (butcher cover)
The infamous butcher shot. I'd proudly frame this baby if I owned it.
Game Theory-"Big Shot Chronicles" & "Lolita Nation"
Two classic late 80's power-pop albums from Scott Miller & company. I retardedly bought them on cassette when they were first released. The cassettes eventually died, the albums fell out of print, and now I'm hoping some label re-issues the entire Game Theory catalog. Until then, I'm wishin' for 'em...
Opal-"Early Recordings"
Before Mazzy Star, there was Opal. They released one album on SST ("Happy Nightmare Baby") and then disbanded. Rough Trade then released a collection of demos before they went bankrupt. Another one of those cassette purchases that I now regret.
The Stooges-"The Complete Fun House Sessions"
Rhino Handmade's box set of the classic second album from The Stooges. Every note from the session is included and many of the songs are repeated. I don't care. I want it. But only 1,500 were made and copies are fetching high cash on Ebay.

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:11 am

http://www.thresholdhouse.com/arrivals.html

COIL - Ape of Naples (Box)

Collectors of Fine Artefacts will be interested to know that Ian Johnstone, whose work graces the cover of the cd edition, is currently completing on an extremely limited and deluxe hand-made and painted Wooden Box Edition of The Ape of Naples. Limited to 23 in number, and measuring some fourteen inches square and several inches deep, the Boxes will open to reveal framed original artworks, and paintings, as well as the album itself, cut onto three single sided 12" laquers or acetate discs. These discs are individually cut on a lathe in a cutting studio, with all the tracks from the album - while the reverse of each the discs remains obsidian black in best Coil/Time Machines tradition.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:38 am

Hmm, I'd love to get my hot little hands on original Creation CD copies of MBV's EPs Glider, Tremolo, Feed Me With Your Kiss, and the Isn't Anything album. The Creation part is significant insofar as a) they were MBV's original UK label, and b) MBV almost bankrupted Creation in the process of recording Loveless.

I still would love to get a copy of the Japanese pressing of Living Colour's Biscuits EP. The U.S. version had only, like, six cuts on it; the Japanese version had FIFTEEN odds 'n sods by the pride of CBGB's circa '85.

I'd still love to score a copy of Elvis Hitler's Disgraceland, famous for "Green Haze pt. 1 & 2". This, as you all remember, is the Green Acres theme sung to the tune of "Purple Haze".

I have to fill out my Mojo Nixon collection with Root, Hog, or Die and Otis.

Somehow, I'd love to get a digital representation of the quad mix of Dark Side Of The Moon.

Recently, the first two Records albums have been issued on CD. I gotta get 'em while I can.

It's rumored that the Darkest Hours actually released a full-length CD, but multiple Google searches have only given scant info, and no items for sale.

Plus, I still have to buy the Quasars and Riviera CDs; I feel serious guilt that I haven't yet.

Aren't ya glad ya asked?????

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:03 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Plus, I still have to buy the Quasars and Riviera CDs; I feel serious guilt that I haven't yet.

That's kind of funny. When we were thinking about starting the label, we knew that between 40,000-50,000 unique people visited GLONO every month. We imagined that even if only 1% of our readers bought a cd, that we could easily sell 500 copies fairly quickly. Saturday will be the first anniversary of the release party for our first release, and we're still not even coming very close to that number. I'm not suggesting that we're very good at marketing or promoting, but jesus, if we can't even count on our most diehard readers to support the label, I guess our assumptions were completely off base. Ah well, we still love you all. Keep reading!
[/whining]

Back to the topic at hand, over the years I've pretty much picked up all the records I've wanted. Thanks to ebay's "email this search" functionality, I've gotten pretty much all the weird things I've lusted after. And then I gave them all away, ha ha.

One recent record I picked up via ebay was Having Fun with Elvis On Stage, a compilation of all of the King's between-song banter that Col. Parker put together as the first release on his own record label. It's unlistenable. And hilarious.

The last thing I'd been wanting (and just won via ebay!) is a compilation of Hunter S. Thompson's favorite songs that was put out by a British label a while ago, and that his son played as his body was driven away from his house.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:04 pm

Somewhere there is a live bootleg of Elvis Costello doing "Pretty in Pink." I'll gladly trade my first born for a copy.

And one that's not hard to find despite being out of print, but a little expensive: Daniel Lanois Acadie. My brother snatched up a copy before they stopped pressing them, but I have to make do with my burned copy.

I've also been trying to pick up an original White label single of Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence," but I haven't had much luck. They pop up on eBay occasionally but I always lose the auction because I'm not paying $20+ for a copy.

And Murph, if you want those MBV singles to have the songs, and not out of some completist collector's fetish, you should check eBay. A friend of mine just paid a nice price for some import box set that combines all the old EP's. It was well worth it.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:58 pm

steve-o wrote:And Murph, if you want those MBV singles to have the songs, and not out of some completist collector's fetish, you should check eBay. A friend of mine just paid a nice price for some import box set that combines all the old EP's. It was well worth it.

<sheepishly>Well, you sorta nailed it as to why I want that particular edition of the EPs when you said "collector's fetish", but at best, I'd call myself an INcompletist. I don't need to get any of the pre-Bilinda Butcher MBV.</sheepish>

My thought process goes something like this: yes, I do want those songs, but would I rather pay a little extra and get the real, historic item, or pay some knucklehead with a scanner and a CD burner who wants to turn a profit on eBay for tracks which are clearly not his?

Although for most of you in that last sentence, I'm sure I lost you at "hello"...

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:22 pm

All I can say is that I have a list about 100 strong of albums I'd like to get. I carry this list around with me at all times, because you never know when you're gonna end up in a record store and need to check it out.
Few of them are rare; it's mostly a matter of money. I will type up the first 15 from the list, just to give you an idea:

Production Club - Follow Your Bliss
Comets on Fire - Blue Cathedral
Mr. T Experience - Making Things With Light
Grandaddy - Sophomore Slump
National Skyline - self-titled
Electronic - self-titled
Public Image Ltd - 1st Edition
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
10 Ft. Ganja Plant - ?
Bob Marley - Live @ the Roxy
Naked Raygun - ?
Ignite - Call on My Brothers
New Order - Low-Life
The Slip - Live is My Jumby
Failure - Magnified

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:13 pm

I love old '60s band covers and '50s covers. I covet a REAL Beatles butcher cover (a guy I knew bought one for $40 bucks. He was over the moon till we took a closer look. It was a fake.) One day, when I have a home/house of my own with space and a (lockable against tiny fingers) basement, and I'm independently wealthy (or find a sugar daddy, anyone?) then I can fulfill that wish list at the WFMU record fare.

till then...I dream...

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:58 pm

Aw geez. This list changes almost daily, but one's that have been on it for a while include:

Howlin' Wolf: This is Howlin' Wolf's New Album...

Velvet Underground: Velvet Underground and Nico (with unpealed banana)

Sonic Youth: Daydream Nation

Blur: Modern Life is Rubbish

Capt. Beefheart: Troutmask Replica; Safe as Milk (with bumper sticker)

DEVO: E-Z Listening

Nick Drake: Pink Moon; Five Leaves Left

Tom Waits: Swordfish Trombones; Rain Dogs

The Fall: Live at the Witch Trials; This Nation's Saving Grace

Dee Dee Ramone: King Dee Dee (just because it would be good to have the absolute worst album ever.)

I'm sure there are a ton more. Just can't think of them at the moment. And then there are a boatload of 45s that I want. Won't get into those, though.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:09 pm

I'd like a copy of The Velvet Underground's post-lou reed "Squeeze". Just to have it.

In that vein I'd also like to get back the double LP of 4 live versions of Sister Ray, I think it was called "Sweet Sister Ray". I saved up for months and bought it form St. Mark's Sound and my mom just gave it away at some point.

I recently filled a wish to get the Sonic's catalog on vinyl, at least some of it. Found "Boom" at the local record-shoppe.

Return to “Rants and Raves”