Pitchfork's stupid rating system

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:20 pm

Ok, so I check out Pitchfork every once in a while. Why? I don't know. Must be the holier than thou attitude (thou being everyone who writes and frequents this fine site, which is pretty freakin holy if you ask me). Anyway, today they gave a 10.0 review to the new CD by "And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead". Have they ever given a disc a 10.0 rating (other than something that was "ambiant")?

If I ever meet the weasel over there that gave Wilco's "Being There" a 6, I'm gonna take his stupid head off.

God, I love to hate faceless people of the internet.

madness
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby madness » Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:30 pm

DID THEY? Cool! *runs to pitchforkmedia.com*

i'd give it a 10 too

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:43 pm

I've heard a small amout of MP3 material off that disc, and I might buy it tonight at my local record shop. Sounds pretty cool.

I'm just shocked that they gave it a 10.0. Even when they gush over something they stay within a 9, and then they'll still write a short paragraph about some major flaw.

I wonder what they would give my demo tape from my band, Chrome? Hmmmmmmmmm

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:10 am

Well Scotty,

I picked it up over the weekend and it hasn't thoroughly struck me as anything amazing. It was only $8.88 at Vertigo, though. God that store rocks!

It might be that I've been in a drone mood all weekend though and they're anything but. My cd player has been occupied solely with Jesus & Mary Chain, Spacemen 3, Ride, and BRMC all weekend long. I still can't believe that Spacemen 3 are over 15 years old. They have aged better than the rest, in my opinion.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:32 am

I bought it Sunday at Vertigo, their last copy. Yeah, $8.88 is truely a great price. Herm prices off of cost, which means that whatever label they are on is charging very little, comparatively, for the CD. His prices are competitive with any big chain store.

I like the CD, but I definately am NOT giving it a 10.0. Until I listen a couple more times I'm hesitant to even cook-up a review. We'll see.

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:27 am

Yeah, I can agree with that. I certainly don't dislike the cd. I wonder if this cd has received some sort of fast track marketing approach. The cd is dirt cheap, there's articles about it in damn near every music mag, and online sites are rating it a 10.

Do you guys ever wonder if some of these Major labels have so much clout with the dollars they're willing to spend that they can assault us at every level with subliminal marketing?

Look at the Strokes and how ubiquitous they were before anyone had even heard the album.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Mar 06, 2002 5:23 pm

I doubt that it's getting much more than the usually roll-out, at least in terms of $. It's not a catchy, radio friendly disc like "Is This It?". They're also no Radiohead, armed with a fanbase that might be able to handle ambient experimentation. My guess is that the tiny community of reviewers who even understand this musical niche are simply all of the same mind. After all, we're not a very diverse group.

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:13 am

Yeah man, wasn't it creepy when all the guys who post to this site at Founder's the other night were wearing glasses!?!?! We're a veritable army of music-loving glass-wearers.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:48 am

I had my first pair of horn rimmed prescription glasses in 1988. You guys all copied me.

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Thu Mar 07, 2002 10:17 am

From Q, July 2001:

Q: "When do you feel you really found your niche?"

Rivers Cuomo: "Well, we had really been going for that Geek Rock sound and scene but no one seemed to be getting it because we looked too cool. Then I met my bro, Scotty5000, and totally cop'd his style. Since then, it's been a success story for the band. Well, except for that whole Pinkerton breakdown thing a couple of years ago."

Q: "You heard it here first folks, Scotty5000 is responsible for the resounding success of Weezer and is virtually the Godfather of Emo."

Return to “Rants and Raves”