SST back in the day (with POLL!!!Dinosau)

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Fave SST Band?

Husker Du
35%
Black Flag
13%
Minutemen
13%
Meat Puppets
9%
Bad Brains
No votes
Sonic Youth
13%
Dinosaur Jr
4%
Descendents
13%

Total votes: 23

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

SST back in the day (with POLL!!!Dinosau)

Postby trainwreck2 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:58 pm

random boredom stuff...
Husker Du question-I have Metal Circus, Zen Arcade and Warehouse (and the live album on order)...whats the next step
Minutemen question-I have Double Nickels On The Dime and Project Merch V.3
whats my next step?
Also just noticed that Dec 22 will mark 20 years since D. Boon was taken...
finally...what the hell happened to SST.. they went from crucial stuff to crap just like their own Black Flag...ever listened to this turkey?
or Minuteflag which was a great idea that went bad...

Last edited by trainwreck2 on Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:53 pm

Man, those album covers make me feel old...again. blah.

michaelvincent
GLONO Board Playa

Postby michaelvincent » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:10 pm

I gotta go with Black Flag. As a young metalhead I purchased the First Four Years and wondered what the hell I was listening to. Greg Ginn's guitar work was chaos personified, it was beautiful.

I especially love post-My War Black Flag. My War was like Flag's line in the sand, and everything after that just seemed to infuriate the punks, which was kind of punk in and of itself.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:34 pm

one day Ill try again for Black Flag... I cant dig on much stuff once Rollins joined, mostly because what Ive heard seems too much like bad prog...
michaelvincent wrote:I gotta go with Black Flag. As a young metalhead I purchased the First Four Years and wondered what the hell I was listening to. Greg Ginn's guitar work was chaos personified, it was beautiful.

I especially love post-My War Black Flag. My War was like Flag's line in the sand, and everything after that just seemed to infuriate the punks, which was kind of punk in and of itself.

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:09 am

This is waay too hard! Unfair!

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:56 am

anothermonkey wrote:This is waay too hard! Unfair!

I heard that. Some of my alltime favorites in one little-bitty label. Bad Brains did some legendary all-age shows in the DC area, where I grew up, but I always considered them kind of a novelty act. Hüsker Dü was a regular in the clubs of Madison, where I went to college, and I attribute a good bit of my hearing loss to them. But I always liked the proto-alt.country bands like X and Gun Club, so I gotta go with the Meat Puppets. If you look at that list, I don't think any of the other SST bands, as good as they all were, put out as many kickass albums for as long as the Meat Puppets did. If you've never listened to them (or don't remember), Meat Puppets II is a great place to start.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:34 pm

Husker Du: Get "New Day Rising" next.
Minutemen: Get "Three Way Tie (For Last)" next.
Black Flag: What michaelvincent said. Although I've come to terms with the Flag's later direction, it doesn't mean that you'll find me playing "Slip It In" with much frequency. Enter post-"Damaged" Flag territory at your own risk.
Minuteflag: Shite
What happened to SST? I wish I knew. Most of the people in charge of writing the checks also liked to smoke a ton of weed. When you own a record label and smoke weed, you start doing silly things like signing Zoogz Rift, a former pro-wrestler who fancies himself as an equal to Dali and Beefheart.
The label also ran into huge legal issues. First when Das Damen released an e.p. called "Marshmellow Conspiracy" that featured a Beatles cover (used without permission) called "Song For Michael Jackson To $ell." The legal hassles continued..and escalated, when SST released Negativland's "U2" e.p. The e.p., which is highly recommended and available for download at the Negativland website, basically chronicles the store of a dog ("Snuggles"), a disc jockey (Casey Kasem), and an Irish rock band (U2). Island records didn't think it was funny, sued the band, created additional hardships for SST (which was debatable) and caused a wedge between the label and the band.*
But more than anything, I believe the label mis-managed money and failed to pay their catalog's bread and butter artists. Almost all of those artists you mentioned in the poll have jumped ship and taken their recordings with them.

*there's a great interview that members of Negativland did with The Edge about the incident almost a decade after it happened. The Negativland website remains as one of my favorite band sites to this day and it's updated frequently with info, including topics that regularly get discussed here on GloNo.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:05 pm

You should also consider Husker Du's Flip Your Wig if you don't already own it. Smokin'. Go with New Day Rising first, but definitely get around to Flip Your Wig.

I know lots of folks have a problem with post-Henry Flag, but Damaged is a monster of an album; one of the touchstones of hardcore. Every home should have one.

After you finish up with Minutemen (go ahead and get everything) start in on the first three fIREHOSE albums, all released on SST: Ragin' Full-on, If'n and fROMOHIO.

michaelvincent
GLONO Board Playa

Postby michaelvincent » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:35 pm

worpswede wrote:Black Flag: What michaelvincent said. Although I've come to terms with the Flag's later direction, it doesn't mean that you'll find me playing "Slip It In" with much frequency. Enter post-"Damaged" Flag territory at your own risk.

I should point out that I have an unusual fascination bands that release music meant to divide it's audience. It's a perverse pleasure that makes me enjoy a band a little bit more. It would have been easy to keep doing Damaged but something tells me that Flag were getting a little tired of the type of audience they were attracting. In those records I hear a band that is frustrated, and tired of driving hours and hours to shitty clubs to play to 10 people who spit on you.

Radiohead's Kid A is another example for me. Most of my friends hated it, I immediately liked it a little more for the simple fact that it inspired almost instant negative criticism from my friends. :)

rnolan66
GLONO Board Playa

SST

Postby rnolan66 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:00 pm

To my ears the Meat Puppets records have aged better than the rest of the SST catalog by a mile. That stuff still sounds fresh and the production mostly holds up. Husker Du's discs sound incredibly thin and dated to me. They were the kings at the time but they just sound like a really average 80's alt-rock band to me now. The Minutemen were great but there always was a lot of filler in their catalog. Double Nickels is really all you ever need.
Black Flag were, are and always will be HIGHLY overrated in my opinion.

Bob

Return to “Rants and Raves”