guadalcanal diary

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

guadalcanal diary

Postby grounded5am » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:11 am

has anyone heard of guadalcanal diary? i haven't listened to them since high school and then i found their numbered limited edition remastered re-issue of walking in the shadow of the big man. the whole atlanta/athens/southern music scene of the 80's really did produce some great bands/music.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: guadalcanal diary

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:33 am

grounded5am wrote:has anyone heard of guadalcanal diary? i haven't listened to them since high school and then i found their numbered limited edition remastered re-issue of walking in the shadow of the big man. the whole atlanta/athens/southern music scene of the 80's really did produce some great bands/music.

I had an album or two from them I got for free in college.
Used to like that song "Vista".
Their biggun "Always Saturday" had a decent hook.
Pulled it out (the album ha!) a few years ago and
it didn't have the same appeal--sounds like a mix
of Barenaked Ladies and REM. I think they had too much
REM on the brain.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:13 am

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote: I had an album or two from them I got for free in college.
Used to like that song "Vista".
Their biggun "Always Saturday" had a decent hook.
Pulled it out (the album ha!) a few years ago and
it didn't have the same appeal--sounds like a mix
of Barenaked Ladies and REM. I think they had too much
REM on the brain.

We must be related, Sven. I had a couple of freebies from them back in the day too. "2 X 4" was probably their best release; the lead off track "Litany" was a nice tune.
Don Dixon, the same guy who had a hand in R.E.M. stuff also stuck his sausages in G.D.'s first album "Walking In The Shadow Of The Big Man." The working title of that album was actually called "Walking In The Shadow Of The Guys From R.E.M."

GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:12 am

.[/quote]
We must be related, Sven. [/quote]

This is why we must be related....

Passions for me include watching low-wattage Christian television stations and calling them up with ultra right-wing diatribes.
Example:
"I'd like to complain about that last musical act you had on there. That fella was playin' a 'lectric guitar. Les Paul, who was a sinner, made them things. Does that fella know he's playing with a tool of satan?"
It sounds funnier when you hear my voice do it.
I need to get out more...

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:51 am

Then Sven, where were you when I tried to sell the idea of actually appearing on one of those low wattage stations as a musical act? I lobbied some fellow musicians that we should promote ourselves as a secular act and offer our services for a show. I learned the guitar part to "Oh Happy Day" for the idea. We would start out slow and Christiany, and then explode into a feedback frenzy around the three minute mark. The hope was that ChristVision would freak out at the volume and pull the plug on us. Everything would have been captured on tape and the event would have made a great story to sell to a hipster indie, looking for a wacky rock act from small-town America. The problem was that everyone thought it was a good idea in theory, but no one wanted to actually be seen on ChristVision, a station that typically featured awful ventriloquist, born-again retirees reading bible stories to children with ADHD, and Statler Brotheresque vocal groups with no sense of harmony. The other problem was that most hipster indies aren't really looking for wacky rock acts from small-town America.
Like Supertramp said: "Dreamer...you're nothing but a dreamer."

GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:32 pm

worpswede wrote: no one wanted to actually be seen on ChristVision,

Yeah maybe Christ won't want to be seen with you as you enter the Pearly gates. Then he'll send you to hell forever fucker!
Maybe this song I wrote will inspire you to embrace the Lord.......

I had to piss while shopping at the mall
And I saw it written on the bathroom stall!
It said "Jesus has enough love for us all!
Yeah Jesus has enough love for us all!
What color ink I simply don't recall!
But it said Jesus has enough love for us all!
For us all!

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:53 pm

grounded5am wrote:has anyone heard of guadalcanal diary? i haven't listened to them since high school and then i found their numbered limited edition remastered re-issue of walking in the shadow of the big man. the whole atlanta/athens/southern music scene of the 80's really did produce some great bands/music.

I listened to them back in the day. 'Always Saturday' is an excellent song, one of those songs that puts ya in a good mood. I might have to dig that casette tape out.

And I agree with you. I grew up in the south and listened to alot of the music that came out of Athens. Some great stuff. Brings back alot of memories.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:51 am

I am an unabashed Guadalcanal Diary apologist/defender/fan. I had been looking for cd versions of Walking... and the second album, Jamboree, for a helluva long time and when I saw that twofer release with those albums I nearly crapped myself. LOVE: "Watusi Rodeo," "Trail of Tears," "Kumbayah," "Please Stop Me," "I See Moe" and "Cattle Prod." They were, to me, a lot funnier, weirder and more muscular than REM.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:27 pm

i bought that twofer cd but i hated the design and the layout so much. they've got walking in the shadow of the big man and 2x4 released on rhinohandmade as remastered numbered limited editions. they only made 2500, but they still have copies avaible. i was able to get mine at a local record shop. i got walking in the shadow of the big man, as that was all they had. it came with the watusi rodeo ep, a b-side cover. and a previously unreleaed track. the 2x4 one has 11 demos and unreleased tracks. definitely worth every penny and better than the twofer cd. i heard that they are going to be doing all the cd's on rhinohandmade like they did with walking and 2x4.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:12 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:"Cattle Prod"

Forgot about that one. Good tune.

Return to “Rants and Raves”