Favorite Shoegaze Albums...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Emerald City

Favorite Shoegaze Albums...

Postby Proptronics » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:13 am

So, I got to thinking about my My Bloody Valentine EPs on Creation and it made me realize that I bought most of my shoegaze a few years after the fact. What am I missing? MBV, Ride, Band of Susans, Slowdive, Jesus and Mary Chain, Spiritualized, Spacemen 3, Swervedriver, the Boo Radleys, Lush....

Those are the bands I've sought out, does anyone else have bands that they could sit and listen to through headphones with there face all agape at their feet?

steve-o
Zombie Jesus
Posts: 2628
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:11 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Favorite Shoegaze Albums...

Postby steve-o » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:53 am

Proptronics wrote:So, I got to thinking about my My Bloody Valentine EPs on Creation and it made me realize that I bought most of my shoegaze a few years after the fact. What am I missing? MBV, Ride, Band of Susans, Slowdive, Jesus and Mary Chain, Spiritualized, Spacemen 3, Swervedriver, the Boo Radleys, Lush....

Those are the bands I've sought out, does anyone else have bands that they could sit and listen to through headphones with there face all agape at their feet?


Well, you pretty much named all the bands I would recommend. Especially Slowdive.

But if you haven't heard of Skywave, that's definitely where you should go next. They broke up a couple of years ago, but they formed two new bands, Ceremony and A Place to Bury Strangers. APBS is more psychedelic and drony, and Ceremony is more Jesus and Mary Chain meets Disintegration era Cure, both really good. Plus, they're from Virginia, so I have to put a word in for the local guys. I've played a couple of shows with Ceremony and they really know their shit. Also, Alcian Blue out of DC is a good band to check out.
Last edited by steve-o on Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:13 pm

Postby blackshoestring » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:18 pm

Not to be all "here's a list" but here's a list.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 1986
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:21 am
Location: close enough to say Chicago

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:28 pm

blackshoestring wrote:Not to be all "here's a list" but here's a list.

Um, not to be all "but a list is what Prop was looking for, why wouldn't you give a list, even if you yourself didn't make it", but but a list is what Prop was looking for, why wouldn't you give a list, even if you yourself didn't make it.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:04 pm
Location: Turlock, CA
Contact:

Postby thinsafetypin » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:33 pm

i will sing the praises of starflyer 59 until i die, and their early albums (silver through americana) would almost assuredly fall somewhere under the "shoegaze" moniker.

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:13 pm

Postby blackshoestring » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:46 pm

DJMurphy wrote:
blackshoestring wrote:Not to be all "here's a list" but here's a list.

Um, not to be all "but a list is what Prop was looking for, why wouldn't you give a list, even if you yourself didn't make it", but but a list is what Prop was looking for, why wouldn't you give a list, even if you yourself didn't make it.


In this season of giving, I try to handcraft as many lists as possible. It's what I do. But if the store-bought google list fits...

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Emerald City

Postby Proptronics » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:46 pm

Ahh.. the listed reminded me that I've been meaning to give Catherine Wheel a relisten! Them and the Cocteau Twins are now on my "To Purchase" list...

Thanks dude, though it would have been sweeter if you walked to my house and quietly knocked. When I answered, you'd simply say "Proptronics thou shalt go forth and investigate Catherine Wheel and the Cocteau Twins".

I've only heard later Starflyer and didn't dig it, should I look into earlier stuff if I didn't like the later?

On a sidenote, if they ever get their shit together, Seattle's The Turn Ons are absolutely stellar!

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:13 pm

Postby blackshoestring » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:00 pm

Proptronics wrote:Ahh.. the listed reminded me that I've been meaning to give Catherine Wheel a relisten! Them and the Cocteau Twins are now on my "To Purchase" list...


Cocteau Twins "Heaven or Las Vegas" is jaw achingly rock solid as a gigantic SweetTart slab

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:04 pm
Location: Turlock, CA
Contact:

Postby thinsafetypin » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:29 pm

Proptronics wrote:I've only heard later Starflyer and didn't dig it, should I look into earlier stuff if I didn't like the later?


It depends. Their work carries a bit of a common thread, but the early stuff is much more dense and noisy and less poppy than the later material. You might want to at least give a listen to something off of Gold, which is probably the best album of their shoegazer era.

If you have iTunes, you can listen to some samples here.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:23 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Postby Maarten » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:18 pm

galaxie 500, loop. but i;m not sure if they qualify as shoegaze


Return to “Rants and Raves”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest