Costello and Toussaint

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Costello and Toussaint

Postby Lep » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:24 pm

Two of my faves hooking up: Allen Toussaint and Elvis Costello. Costello is supposed to have written some new ones with Toussaint, and apparently the album will also have some old Toussaint songs, too. I'd love to hear Elvis do "Viva La Money" live.

Joe Henry is producing, which I know some folks here like, but I find him a little stuffy... He obviously has good taste, though. Maybe that's the problem, just a little too much good taste.

None of the Web references I saw were better than the others, so just check
http://news.google.com/news?q=Costello+Toussaint.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:35 pm

I read about that in Rolling Stone a while back. I'm really excited about this actually. You could kind of hear EC's return to more r&b elements on The Delivery Man, so it will be nice to see that continue.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:36 pm

Heard a thing on NPR this morning. Sounded like they were recording vocal tracks at the time.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:26 pm

Ha, ha, a friend of mine in Washington sent me a mail about it after having heard in on NPR too. The internets are great, but radio apparently lives as well!

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:44 am

I've never heard any Toussaint, any recommendations?

On a sidenote, I saw Elvis this summer and he was fantastic solo. Really moving stuff, I almost dropped a tear during some of the songs.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:58 am

Proptronics wrote:I've never heard any Toussaint, any recommendations?

On a sidenote, I saw Elvis this summer and he was fantastic solo. Really moving stuff, I almost dropped a tear during some of the songs.

Well, is you have EC's "SPIKE" you have heard Touissant.
He plays piano on many of the tracks.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:01 pm

The Allen Toussaint Collection is a good collection of his work mostly from the 70s. Googling found me a Rhino one, too, but it was a limited edition.

I haven't heard the compilation of his earlier work: The Wild Sound of New Orleans: The Complete 'Tousan' Sessions, but I'd definitely advise getting a Lee Dorsey collection like Charly's (Toussaint wrote and produced most of his songs - it was a great partnership, because Toussaint's not much of a singer).

If you prefer the (more-or-less) original albums, I have (useta have) "From a Whisper to a Scream," "Life, Love and Faith" and "Motion," all of which are worth having, even if the latter is a bit too much L.A.

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby redfieldp » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:18 pm

russ wrote:

I think it might only be on "Deep Dark Truthful Mirror", but I don't have the liner notes in front of me...

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:45 pm

redfieldp wrote:
russ wrote:

I think it might only be on "Deep Dark Truthful Mirror", but I don't have the liner notes in front of me...

You are correct Sir.
My bad.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:33 pm

This is off the top of my head, so if somebody wants to check go ahead: Seems like I remember he produced one of the Band's albums; the Pointer Sisters covered "Happiness," Glen Campbell covered "Southern Nights," and I think he wrote Dr. John's "Right Place, Wrong Time." He also worked with the Meters (Another compilation I need to get; I used to have one on cassette, but I haven't seen it in a while. If somebody knows a great one, please let me know. I should probably go back to that Charly site and look there).

Return to “Rants and Raves”