Chronic-les of Narnia

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:28 pm

grounded5am wrote:
bill murray has been doing some great work lately.

that's true... i never even think of him as an snl alum any longer... he's been amazing lately. love his work with wes anderson the most. life aquatic is one of my favorite movies of the past couple years and rushmore is a top ten classic. and then there's his work with coppola and jarmusch. great stuff.

jake wrote:People's memories of the original cast are greatly exaggerated.

i don't know... i have watch some of those original cast episodes all the way through and find them to be quite funny and relevant... especially given their social significance given the time period. nothing like that was on tv at the time. and a lot of the material is period specific. with that, i'd rather sit through a best of snl from the original cast vs the current. though, i can be a little unfair, since i haven't been watching it religously. some of my fave years outside of the original cast... '82 - "the eddie murphy show" - eddie is the only cast member to ever host... becuase he was brilliant, '84 - short, crystal and guest save snl bringing it back to must see television, '89 mike meyers debuts while phil hartman rolls on, mid 90's low brow humor takes center stage with spade, farley, norm and sandler. crude humor proves to work on the small screen (later proves it doesn't work on the big screen). the late 90's sucked... with the exception of farrell and shannon. 2000 - tina fey debuts! 2004 show gets better because crhis kattan is finally gone (left the show in 2003, but did way too many cameos in 2004).

i'll try giving this new group a decent watching.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:59 pm

I think the original show has dated, no doubt. I agree it can be a bit disappointing to watch (unlike SCTV--still genius!), but its spirit was far more adventurous. Except for the news segment, they have lacked edge for years. I also think Lorne Michaels kills the funny stuff.

My problem is that there are so many just plain unfunny people: the Tim Meadowses, Horatio Sanzes, Jimmy Fallons, etc. Pleeeease don't tell me "They have some funny bits"--no, they don't. I know comedy is hard, but this is the creme of the crop? You almost get the idea that the really funny people actually avoid the show.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:14 pm

vitas wrote:crude humor proves to work on the small screen (later proves it doesn't work on the big screen).

Wedding Crashers? 40 Year Old Virgin?

But yeah, I think the unusual thing about this cast is that the women are the funniest cast members. By far. I don't think there has ever been more hilarious women in one cast as there are in this one. We've come a long way (baby) from the days when Belushi refused to appear in any skit written by a woman. Tina Fey, Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph (currently on maternity leave) are all really fucking funny.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:24 pm

Jake wrote: Tina Fey, Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph (currently on maternity leave) are all really fucking funny.

I agree!! I fell for Poeler when I saw her in "Wet Hot American Summer".
She needs to be in some more movies.
How about "HEY RICK!" the movie?
On second thougt, maybe not....

Why not just give that AWFUL Horatio Sanz the boot and get another funny woman on SNL?

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:51 pm

From original 75 to Eddie Murphy and the Christopher Guest years SNL
was about character development and insightful yet edgy comedy.
The characters were like real people you could relate to.
The downfall began when it became mean spirited and only about making fun of celebrities. The casts weren't creative enough to invent characters you liked, so they resorted to cheap celebrity imitations and put downs.
I laughed my ass off at this crazy thing from Parnell and the new guy.
Watched it twice in fact. The beauty is it's done straight with a wonderful sense of the ridiculous.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:09 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:From original 75 to Eddie Murphy and the Christopher Guest years SNL
was about character development and insightful yet edgy comedy.
The characters were like real people you could relate to.
The downfall began when it became mean spirited and only about making fun of celebrities.

That seems overly simplistic. Seriously, look through this episode guide:

http://www.io.com/~serpas/SNL/epguide.html

Click through some of the eps in those first few years, and read the descriptions of the skits. 90+% of them are things that aren't in the "Best of the Early Years" shows because they're not that funny or interesting.

I love watching old SNLs for the same reason I love watching old episodes of Laugh In or the Flip Wilson show. Even when it's not funny (which is most of the time), it's still fascinating to see what those people were talking about, wearing, laughing about, etc. It's like a time capsule. But it's rarely hilarious.

GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:24 pm

Jake wrote:That seems overly simplistic. .

It's a friggin message board. I'd love to write a 10 page thesis on SNL but my dogs need a walk and shit. Yeah I cut through the bullshit.
I bet most people don't read reads the bloated posts anyway.
It's the remote control generation baby!

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:55 pm

Jake wrote:
vitas wrote:crude humor proves to work on the small screen (later proves it doesn't work on the big screen).

Wedding Crashers? 40 Year Old Virgin?

i love the 40 year old virgin. and i love crude humor - all the kevin smith flicks fall into this category. i was talking specifically flicks from the core of the snl slums from the mid 90's.

i'm referencing the fine films of the following:

david spade:
tommy boy
black sheep
senseless
lost and found
joe dirt

chris farley:
tommy boy
black sheep
beverly hills ninja
dirty work
almost heroes

norm mcdonald:
dirty work
screwed
billy madison

adam sandler:
waterboy
big daddy
little nicky
mr. deeds

rob schneider:
deuce bigalow
the hot chick
surf ninjas

though they definitely have their own audience... they aren't exactly great films and the characters in the films are definitley funnier when taken in doses of 3 to 5 minutes vs 120 minutes.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

TOP 10 SNL CAST MEMBERS SO FAR?

Postby russ » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:47 pm

Out of all SNL alumni, who are the top 10 performers?

My list NOT in any particular order of importance:

1. Eddie Murphy
2. John Belushi
3. Dan Ackroyd
4. Bill Murray
5. Gilda Radner
6. Mike Myers
7. Dana Carvey
8. Phil Hartman
9. Jon Lovitz
10. Chris Farley

F*ck Chevy Chase...I never liked that guy.

GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:56 pm

Top Ten

1)Bill Murray
2)Dan Ackroyd
3)Gilda Radner
4)John Belushi
5)Chevy Chase
6)Christopher Guest
7)Mike Myers
8)Jane Curtain