Chronic-les of Narnia

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Heitzie » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:11 pm

I guess that explains why most of the cast is so eager to make the jump to feature films, even when they have to know that 85% of those films are gonna blow junks. I stopped watching SNL entirely during the "Jimmy Fallon era" but that "Lazy Sunday" was great, as was the Lindsay Lohan Harry Potter sketch a buddy emailed me. Maybe I can go back in the SNL waters now.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:19 pm

Heitzie wrote:I guess that explains why most of the cast is so eager to make the jump to feature films, even when they have to know that 85% of those films are gonna blow junks. I stopped watching SNL entirely during the "Jimmy Fallon era" but that "Lazy Sunday" was great, as was the Lindsay Lohan Harry Potter sketch a buddy emailed me. Maybe I can go back in the SNL waters now.

Take into consideration that Jim Carrey only got payed
750-grand for Ace Ventura(after agents ,lawyers and taxes less than half that). If your first movie during or after SNL flops you aren't exactly building that 8 million dollar mansion in Beverly Hills(that's where I want to be!).

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:05 pm

Horatio Sanz weekly contribution to SNL isn't worth $50, let alone $5,000!
I hope he is saving that loot, so when he is off the show and his career ends he won't be penniless.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:35 pm

russ wrote:Horatio Sanz weekly contribution to SNL isn't worth $50, let alone $5,000!
I hope he is saving that loot, so when he is off the show and his career ends he won't be penniless.

Speaking of un-funny SNL cast members, when I was in college Tracey Morgan came to do stand-up. I was really excited about it, because I thought those Brian Fellows skits where he was the host of the nature program, but didn't know jack about animals and was actually scared of them, was pretty damn hilarious.

But his standup routine was insultingly horrible. It was all gross-out sex gags (excerpt: "You gotta eat the ass, you gotta eat the ass.") His closing bit was about having sex with someone in a wheelchair (real original), which was particularly awkward becuase I was sitting next to a friend in a wheelchair.

You suck, Tracey! But Brian Fellows is a cool dude.

GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:44 pm

Lorne chooses these people because they can't carry a picture on their own and probably will stay in the cast for a while.
This may be the reason some of the funniest cast members have been women over the last 10 years. Hollywood doesn't think a female
comedy star can put asses in the seats by herself.
(as opposed to your Julia Roberts or Nicole Kidman).
You have your Sandlers and Ferrells who were able to carry a movie
as the main star. But you have more like Tracy Morgan.
Or the very funny Tina Fey who isn't a movie star.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Q:What happens when you're a SNL Alum who makes a crappy movie?

A:

http://www.freezedriedmovies.com/news/Uploads/duece011005.jpg
why is there a sequel to Deuce Bigelow? I bet LOTS of people get this crap for a present too....

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:31 pm

OK, I have to honest. I love SNL. The last bad era I found was between the Dana Carvey era and the Will Ferrell era. But since then, I've loved every season. And I love Horatio Sanz. The thing I love now is that until recently there were very few great women on the show. Gilda, Cheri Oteri...I can't think of any others. But now...

Tina Fey (incredible), Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph, Rachel Dratch all on the same cast. Four very funny ladies.

GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:37 pm

[quote="trainwreck2"][why is there a sequel to Deuce Bigelow?

First one made money because it didn't cost much to produce.
Big rental market. Parnell is smarter and funnier than Schneider.
Could he carry a lowest common denominator film like this?
Probably not. These retards let their kids watch it cuz its PG-13.
I went to see Shallow Hal at the sunday matinee. The theatre was crawling with uninterested kids because the parents take their kids to see anything as long as it isn't R.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:51 pm

Tom4 wrote: And I love Horatio Sanz.

But...WHY?

He can't do accents, he doesn't do any good characters, and the only 2 he does that I can think of are 'Carol' which is so annoying it makes my skin crawl, and 'Rick' from the sketch where the wonderful Amy Poehler plays Caitlin, the little hyper girl.
He is just an unfunny man, and lucky to have a spot on that show.
Please...If I am wrong, name some funny sketches Horatio Sanz has done. I can't think of one.

The three new guys on SNL blow him away.
They are the freshest thing to hit SNL in years.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:07 pm

the college dorm room one where horatio plays the stoner, and they have their own tv show or something, is pretty good. in that case, horatio laughing all the time is perfectly fitted for the role. i think he was with jimmy fallon in that sketch, who played like a hip a/v kid kinda guy i think.

Return to “Rants and Raves”