If you like____, you might like ____.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

If you like____, you might like ____.

Postby blackshoestring » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:11 pm

Have you guys tried this yet? http://www.pandora.com/
You plug in a band name or a song and it finds other things you might like. Eventually they ask you to set up a free account. They also limit the number of songs you can skip per hour due to their licensing agreement. But I did like some of their recommendations...

The Music Genome Project

On January 6, 2000 a group of musicians and music-loving technologists came together with the idea of creating the most comprehensive analysis of music ever.

Together we set out to capture the essence of music at the most fundamental level. We ended up assembling literally hundreds of musical attributes or "genes" into a very large Music Genome. Taken together these genes capture the unique and magical musical identity of a song - everything from melody, harmony and rhythm, to instrumentation, orchestration, arrangement, lyrics, and of course the rich world of singing and vocal harmony. It's not about what a band looks like, or what genre they supposedly belong to, or about who buys their records - it's about what each individual song sounds like.

Over the past 5 years, we've carefully listened to the songs of over 10,000 different artists - ranging from popular to obscure - and analyzed the musical qualities of each song one attribute at a time. This work continues each and every day as we endeavor to include all the great new stuff coming out of studios, clubs and garages around the world.

It has been quite an adventure, you could say a little crazy - but now that we've created this extraordinary collection of music analysis, we think we can help be your guide as you explore your favorite parts of the music universe.

We hope you enjoy the journey.

Tim Westergren
Founder
The Music Genome Project

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:35 pm

If you like the Decemberists, you'll like Neutral Milk Hotel.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Postby Johnny Loftus » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:40 pm

All Music Guide has Tapestry on its way out; the big push will be at CES '06, but for now check:

http://tapestry.allmusic.com/

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:16 pm

Pandora's kinda cute.

"Based on what you've told us, we're playing a song that features subtle use of vocal counterpoint, subtle vocal harmonies, mild rhythmic syncopation, mixed acoustic and electric instrumentation, and major key tonality."

Yeah, that's what I like, baby! Gimme some of that! Gimme some more...

"To start things off, here's a track that's similar to Boris in that it features hard rock roots, mild rhythmic syncopation, extensive vamping, and thru composed melodic style."

More mild rhythmic syncopation! Plus extensive vamping! Ohhhh yeah, I like it like that, bab--Wait, what? What's "thru composed melodic style?"

Alias
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Alias » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:41 pm

oooh, new distraction at work, love it, thanks blackshoestring

Barabajagal wrote: "Based on what you've told us, we're playing a song that features subtle use of vocal counterpoint, subtle vocal harmonies, mild rhythmic syncopation, mixed acoustic and electric instrumentation, and major key tonality."

ha! I was just about to post this exact same explanation, my list is based on PJH, anyhow I like this way better than iTunes...Pandora is right, this is trouble at large, already want to buy a buck load of new stuff...found new loves: Snow & Voices, The New Year & Bedhead...

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:42 pm

bedhead and the new year are totally faboo...

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:21 pm

I've played around with Pandora for a while now....it can come up with good music, but it's easily stumped. My friend asked it to play him stuff similar to Frank Zappa, which very possibly isn't a fair request, but nothing was at all similar or really, even that good. And there are probably millions of bands that sound PRECISELY like the Beatles. Like, precisely. Minus the creativity, of course.

Worked quite nicely for everything else I tried though. :) It's a fun internets toy.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:44 am

`'`'`'

Bahhh!

`'`'`'

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:39 pm

This is pretty cool. Never knew that Spacemen 3 sound a lot like the Jesus and Mary Chain!

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:29 pm

Never thought I could endure a Scorpions song.. (via Can).

Return to “Rants and Raves”