Sacred Cow Bands where you just don't get the appeal: A rant

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Sacred Cow Bands where you just don't get the appeal: A rant

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:38 pm

I'm new, so if this is a common rant, I'm sorry. I'm only going after bands that seem to have achieved a certain "heavy cat" status. And I happen to like some music by all, as I'll explain. Please take with grain of salt.

Wilco: Here is a band I like a whole lot more on paper than listening to. I admire them. Their taste is impeccable. They do have some wonderful tunes. "YHF" was a brilliantly conceived experiment. But I am not buying Jeff Tweedy's "it's always 4 am"-voice, nor his "Do you think Dylan would dig these-" lyrics. I'm not buying why that pedigreed, oh-so-cool analog (natch) synth needs to burble in during a song that would do double duty as a Maxwell House Coffee commercial if it weren't for its forced surrealism, unless it be for the sole purpose of upping hipster cache. They try too hard, and it shows.

Modest Mouse: This is a decent band I would have to describe as typical indie rock for better and for worse. For better in that they are obviously talented; for worse in that they'll never be anything but a typical indie rock band.

Apples in Stereo: I am gaga for Olivia Tremor/Circ. System and Neutral Milk Hotel. Elf Power and Beulah are OK. Of Montreal seriously blows. But with Elephant 6 sonic mastermind behind this band, how and why must they be so wimpy and empty?

Finally--and I hate to do this, because I own two of their records--ahhh! it's painful: Built to Spill. I am at a loss, here. This group should be great. They sound great. Guitars are great. Songwriting is...well, the music is great, the lyrics are fairly lame. Martsch's voice, while not bad, becomes entirely predictable in both its stretched-out vowels and its double and triple tracking. Majestic tunes are reduced to background music after a few listens. Oh why, why?!!

Rant on, MacDuff! And damned be he who cries "Do you have to hate everything, do you even like music?"

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:56 pm

One man's sacred cow is another man's etc. As for me, I've never really understood why Nirvana is so adored. I mean, life is depressing enough without listening to Cobain go on and on about it.

I just won't hear a bad word about YHF, tho. I'm not even a Wilco fan and I loves that cd! Grrr!

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:27 pm

Oh Shecky, you poor dopey man. Nirvana isn't depressing. Have you ever heard the songs, man?

A band I seriously don't get, and this will mark my indie cred, is Black Heart Procession. Hate 'em.

This will fuck up my cred beyond recognition but I am not ga-ga for Liz Phair's music. I like a handful of songs but the rest seemed to be written in what my good friend Jude Lemrow (drummer for Satellite 66) calls "the key of girl." Why must open-mic night singers and Liz Phair put every single chord they know in every single song they write?

Unleash the hounds!

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:00 pm

Well, maybe Nirvana isn't depressing, but they are to me. I love Nevermind but I stopped listening after In Utero.

And so what if I am a dopey man? Does not the world need it's dopes?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:08 pm

Hey Shecky, you stopped listening after In Utero because Kurt killed himself...I suppose that is a bit a depressing, eh?

You know I'm just joshing with ya. Oh wait, that's Josh's job.

I can't believe there's no backlash to my not going apeshit for Liz Phair. She sure is purty though.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:50 pm

How about Hall & Oates?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:27 am

Radiohead. I like the song "Creep" and Kid A makes me feel like I'm on drugs, but it all seems pretty boring.

Any post-early-90s Britpop/rock. I like a handful of Oasis hits and a couple of Travis songs, but there's been nothing to compel me to buy a whole album.

The Roots. I like that one song, "You Got Me," but everything else is boring.

Bjork.

Sonic Youth.

fountainhead

Postby fountainhead » Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:20 am

U2.

Bruce Springsteen.

There are a million, but those two are the biggies.

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:32 am

Sleater-Kinney. if a band full of guys did as many wow-ow-ows as these screeching hellcats, they'd be laughed off the stage. Yet Sleater-Kinney wants to play on the same field? I just got back from the show tonight and man, they even lectured the crowd for not getting into it more. they didn't seem to entertain the notion that the crowd wasn't into it because their show was sucking ass.

Kristy

Music you should like

Postby Kristy » Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:18 am

This will outrage everybody on this site, but Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. They're great live but I find them aggressive and charmless on record.

Derek, that 'key of girl' remark really smarts. I want to defend Liz Phair and I think I can, but most of her songs do use a lot of chords, but so what? Do you want to STIFLE women from being creative? You are just like CLARENCE THOMAS. "Help me Mary please, I've lost my home to thieves" (whatever that's called) is a great little song that doesn't use that many chords ... like that's a CRIME or something.

Return to “Rants and Raves”