Sacred Cow Bands where you just don't get the appeal: A rant

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Kristy who writes for GN

Postby Kristy who writes for GN » Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:23 am

Hey, why am I listed as a Guest when I post to this thing?

Another sacred cow: Guided by Voices. I have one cd by them and
I never play it. I feel absolutely evil saying that, like I've insulted
Jesus.

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby Jiggle Billy » Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:30 am

like it or not, doug martsch sounds exactly like neil young. personally, i'd prefer neil young, although i enjoy BTS.

i just can't stand doug martsch's "do you think neil young would dig this" voice.

just kidding, by the way.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Keep em comin'!

Postby Barabajagal » Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:05 am

You guys are great!

Godspeed You Black Emperor: Nothing Pink Floyd didn't do way better--and it was kinda boring even then. So what the fudge.

Sleater-Kinney: Thank you, thank you, whoever mentioned them. I am not feeling it at all with these grrls. I truly don't get it--except that they're "girls" who supposedly "rock." Well, there's plenty girls who do truly rock (not that SK's that bad. By the way, Ryan, chiding the audience for not rocking IS indeed proof that the artist does not)

I am a Liz Phair phan, particularly the first record. She has a unique approach, a conversational style that has been subsequently copied, odd songwriting twists, and her music (with Brad Wood's inestimable help) often has that stark grandeur Matador records seems so fond of.

The Lilys: Not too bad, but come on--has anyone ever heard the Kinks and the early Who?

Joy Division: What a boring, pathetic and unlasting music they made. Cool name, though. Thanks, Nazis!

Guided By Voices: Pollard is a giant, and their triumvirate of Propeller, Bee Thousand, and Alien Lanes is some of the best music of the last decade. But how they manage to eke out great reviews with each passing too-competent retread release is beyond me. And I'm sad to say, Pollard's divorce reminds me of how Howard Stern's divorce suddenly makes his leering perversion way more gross and pathetic. Now Pollard is just another road slut--no longer the Regular Guy Rock God who comes down from real life in Dayton to spread his rock, only to return to normalsville (and yes, I felt incredibly stupid for writing that).

British bands, in general : I like Radiohead and a handful of others, but whither the Isle of Rocke? Remember when they taught us all how to rock? What the hell?! Now they ape endless permutations on the Smiths and Beatles, mistaking shirts and haircuts for "attitude." Their whole "disco" culture, which always suck/ed/s, has influenced crappy ass knockoff "rock" bands for over two decades now, even as it made horrible watered-down dance music. I won't even mention names--you know them all, and they are legion. Someone over there needs to put some feet up some asses and reclaim the Rock once more! Go! Rule, Britannia, I say![/b]
Last edited by Barabajagal on Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: Music you should like

Postby Jake » Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:21 am

Kristy wrote:This will outrage everybody on this site, but Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. They're great live but I find them aggressive and charmless on record.

The album, Orange, is a great, solid rock and roll album all the way through. None of the other albums that I've heard come close to that one though.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

JSBX

Postby Barabajagal » Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:25 am

I heartily agree about Orange--it seems to be the most inspired of their stuff.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Re: Keep em comin'!

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:58 am

Barabajagal wrote:Guided By Voices: Pollard is a giant, and their triumvirate of Propeller, Bee Thousand, and Alien Lanes is some of the best music of the last decade. But how they manage to eke out great reviews with each passing too-competent retread release is beyond me.

Juh???

Have you not heard Everywhere With Helicopter? Christian Animation Torch Carriers? Did you listen to Isolation Drills? As the resident GBV fanboy I must protest!

The thing about them is you have to really be into them for the long haul - about 30-40% of each album is filler and/or too inaccessible, but there's a handful of gems left over. Pollard is still making songs that count (and really jam).

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Oh yeah

Postby Barabajagal » Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:06 pm

No question Pollard still writes some great tunes--and of course, what a singer. I too am somewhat of a fanboy.

But dude. The four star reviews? The "GBV has returned to form?" The filler? Lets get real. Their best days are behind them.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:01 pm

This will outrage everybody on this site, but Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. They're great live but I find them aggressive and charmless on record.

Derek, that 'key of girl' remark really smarts. I want to defend Liz Phair and I think I can, but most of her songs do use a lot of chords, but so what? Do you want to STIFLE women from being creative? You are just like CLARENCE THOMAS. "Help me Mary please, I've lost my home to thieves" (whatever that's called) is a great little song that doesn't use that many chords ... like that's a CRIME or something.

Kristy,
You're right and Jake has scolded me in countless drunken arguments for being too fond of standard song structure to dig Phair. I guess my real issue is that her work just hasn't blown me away like I think it's supposed to. Most rock snobs hold her on a pedastal as high as the Wrigley Building and I just don't feel it.

You're also right that it was a cheap shot at open mic chicks, but I think you get my point. There are lots of great songwriters who use lots of chords (this is very simplified, I know) and that's great. I just don't find them ever establishing much of a melody, of which I am admittedly quite fond. Endless chord progressions spinning around and around puts me to sleep.

I dig Cat Power though. Now that gal has a way with melodies!

The Troof

Postby The Troof » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:09 pm

"Your favorite band sucks"

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Re: Oh yeah

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:16 pm

Barabajagal wrote:But dude. The four star reviews? The "GBV has returned to form?" The filler? Lets get real. Their best days are behind them.

Again I must ask: did you listen to Isolation Drills? I can't believe anyone could listen to that and write off GBV. Besides, their best days have always been behind them, ever since Bee Thousand.

Return to “Rants and Raves”