Sacred Cow Bands where you just don't get the appeal: A rant

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Ssssstew

Postby Ssssstew » Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:30 am

The VINES SUCK ASS!
Brattish, weedy. The New Rock Revolution? Bollocks!

The VERVE, Dickie Ashcroft. The Science of Silence? Excuse me? Getting Brian Wilson to do backing vox? The nerve, the bloated egotistical idiocy!
Pseudo cosmic bullshit! The arseshole!

and here's a bit of controversy....SLEATER-KINNEY. Give me a cat to strangle and it'd sound better!

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Ranting

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:00 am

On the GBV tip to Mixmaster Shecky: All I can say is, uncle, you win, p'raps I took it too far with my comments on them. Pollard is great. I'm gonna start another thread on what that whole deal

Anyway it's enough to expect one great song out of an artist, much less, one, two, three+ great albums...

Ah, but the catharsis of being nasty!

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:05 am

Two of my biggest "I don't get..." bands would be The Smiths and Radiohead, both for about the same reason. Yeah, these are bands I can acknowledge as good, solid writers and musicians, but the level of obsessiveness to which their fans and the media went/go I feel is undeserved. Much ado about...

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:35 am

Ugh! Did someone say "The Vines?"

I think that Smiths fans owe much of their fixation to a scene that existed in the mid to late 80s, and less to the music itself. Having been one of the freaks in that scene, I do think that that band is fair game for any and all criticisms. A lot of today's alternabands list them as influences, but I'd have to say with hindsight that many others deserve much more credit.

Now, don't any of you dare criticise Depeche Mode or Erasure, or you'll have ME to contend with.

Peace

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Re: Ranting

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:47 pm

Barabajagal wrote:On the GBV tip to Mixmaster Shecky: All I can say is, uncle, you win, p'raps I took it too far with my comments on them. Pollard is great.

Grrr, snap, must defend GBV-huh? Oh.

Sorry Barabajagal , but I think they're under-appreciated if anything, and I get nuts when I'm defending 'em.

And I don't argue about the filler with GBV-see my review of their latest EP :
http://www.gloriousnoise.com/reviews/000748.php

Although Pollard's filler tends to be overly esoteric rather than weak.

Stu Nahan

Postby Stu Nahan » Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:54 pm

Radiohead is on my list for sure. I also wholeheartedly agree with whoever said Zeppelin and the Dead. I've never understood the obsession with Springsteen. He always sounds like a second or third rate Dylan to me.

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:07 pm

Pink Floyd.

Waaah, I've got too much money, my dad died in the war, our guitar player is on too many drugs to be in the fucking band. Waaah.

Also: Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots, Green Day, Tool. Ick.

Everyone pretends to be a fan because their work is so "seminal": The Kinks, The Clash, Kiss, Velvet Underground... The Ramones. If I see one more 12 year old kid or disgusting pop-country crossover ho wearing this shirt, I'm going to pull them aside and beat them. I know none of those people know any of their songs besides "I Wanna Be Sedated," and I'm going to make them admit it.

starymouse

Postby starymouse » Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:47 pm

my little cousin was wearing a CBGB's shirt the other day. i asked her if she knew what it was, she said "i think avril levigne plays there, she's always wearing the shirt." she bought it at hot topic.

razor's_edge
GLONO Board Playa

Postby razor's_edge » Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:39 pm

starymouse wrote:my little cousin was wearing a CBGB's shirt the other day. i asked her if she knew what it was, she said "i think avril levigne plays there, she's always wearing the shirt." she bought it at hot topic.

from now on, there should be a rule: if you don't know the origin or significance of the bands/clubs on your t-shirts, you are no longer allowed to wear them!

razor's_edge
GLONO Board Playa

Postby razor's_edge » Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:44 pm

Stu Nahan wrote:I also wholeheartedly agree with whoever said Zeppelin and the Dead. I've never understood the obsession with Springsteen. He always sounds like a second or third rate Dylan to me.

that would be me. and i'm so confused by the appeal of both Zeppelin and the Dead that i'll even say it again. but i also have to say that i totally agree with you on Springsteen. the stuff he sings about is stuff that Dylan did long before, much better.

Return to “Rants and Raves”