Sacred Cow Bands where you just don't get the appeal: A rant

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:08 pm

from now on, there should be a rule: if you don't know the origin or significance of the bands/clubs on your t-shirts, you are no longer allowed to wear them!

AMEN!!! Can we add patches to that, too??

As for Sleater-Kinney, bah! SSStew, you're right on with that. So I let down the feminist sisterhood by hating that band. Big fucking deal. I have standards and they simply don't meet them.

Among "alt-country"-types, Jon Langford is a sacred cow whom I can't stand. His voice bugs me. And the Sadies are just ok - they ain't shaking my world, tho'.

Led Zepplin are boring. Ozzy Osbourn is past it. Please don't tap on the glass or the dinasaurs will think they're relevant again.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:26 pm

Katy wrote:Everyone pretends to be a fan because their work is so "seminal": The Kinks, The Clash, Kiss, Velvet Underground... The Ramones.

But those are all really good bands. Except Kiss. And even they had a bunch of great songs in the beginning. And I find a lot of Kinks stuff boring as shit, but they've got so much great stuff.

But you really can't touch the Clash or the Velvet Underground. And how can anybody not love the Ramones? Come on!

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:48 pm

miss carol wrote:
Led Zepplin are boring. Ozzy Osbourn is past it. Please don't tap on the glass or the dinasaurs will think they're relevant again.

i fear we're a little too late. perhaps you've heard of The Osbournes?

but i wholeheartedly agree with you. and yes, we can add patches too the list too. and stickers, while i'm thinking about it.[/i]

razor's_edge
GLONO Board Playa

Postby razor's_edge » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:50 pm

Anonymous wrote:i fear we're a little too late. perhaps you've heard of The Osbournes?

but i wholeheartedly agree with you. and yes, we can add patches too the list too. and stickers, while i'm thinking about it.

that was me. forgot to login. whoops.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

regardless

Postby miss carol » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:25 am

Yes, I've heard of the television show. He is still past it - old and irrelevant. Let the beast alone so it won't feel the need to breed...uh oh too late. Now KELLY has put out a record. lord help the delete bin.

yes, you may add stickers. I'll let you, but only this time.

wastro
GLONO Board Playa

Postby wastro » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:02 am

watching the osbournes is depressing. seriously, the show's a viable anti-drug psa.

but i've never been able to 'get' radiohead, wilco or tool. i have a few mp3s by each of those bands, but i feel like i'm missing out on something whenever i listen to 'em.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:59 am

wastro wrote:but i've never been able to 'get' radiohead, wilco or tool. i have a few mp3s by each of those bands, but i feel like i'm missing out on something whenever i listen to 'em.

Buy Wilco's double album, Being There, and spend some quality time with it. You're guaranteed to find something to love.

Stu Nahan

Postby Stu Nahan » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:45 pm

Jake wrote:
wastro wrote:
but i've never been able to 'get' radiohead, wilco or tool. i have a few mp3s by each of those bands, but i feel like i'm missing out on something whenever i listen to 'em

The earlier stuff (AM/Being There) is more straight ahead rock and roll material and it might be more accessible. I think that they are a great band who has grown and taken chances with their work. However, I know that they are not everyone's cup of tea. Jake's right about Being There. There's so much stuff on it that you're bound to find something that you will really like.

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:08 am

Being There is the best Wilco album because it offers some of Wilco's most direct, emotionally resonant songs. Summerteeth is also very interesting in this regard, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot doesn't offer much to grab onto in my opinion, but Being There offers a lot of direct emotional expression without overthinking it too much.

Being There is sort of like Wilco's Revolver, Summerteeth is maybe their Sgt. Pepper, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is their Magical Mystery Tour.

Being There rocks!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:24 am

ryanking wrote:Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is their Magical Mystery Tour.

Ouch! That seems a little harsh, Ryan.

Return to “Rants and Raves”