Sacred Cow Bands where you just don't get the appeal: A rant

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by Jiggle Billy »

black heart procession is one i have never been able to get, although their new album seems a little more accessable. i saw them once a couple years ago, and i felt mediocre at best. another (and i'm sure i'll get flak for this one) is interpol. while i've only listened to them a couple times, the lead singer sounds a lot like the guy from the b52s or david byrne on crack (to me).
Phineas
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Phineas »

sumpin wrote:black heart procession is one i have never been able to get, although their new album seems a little more accessable. i saw them once a couple years ago, and i felt mediocre at best. another (and i'm sure i'll get flak for this one) is interpol. while i've only listened to them a couple times, the lead singer sounds a lot like the guy from the b52s or david byrne on crack (to me).
And in person, he looks like Cameron from Ferris Bueller. Interpol's okay to me. Not amazing, but decent. Black Heart Procession though, I feel you dawg. I saw them in Chapel Hill a couple of years ago, and would have fallen asleep if I hadn't gone to the show with someone really excited to see them. It's like: yeah, you're really sad. Yeah, you play a saw. Yeah, you have a long, scraggly beard. Whoop-dee-fucking doo. They/he are as bad as Godspeed You Black Emperor, there's just less of it on stage at one time.
razor's_edge
GLONO Board Playa

Post by razor's_edge »

Phineas wrote: I saw them in Chapel Hill a couple of years ago, and would have fallen asleep if I hadn't gone to the show with someone really excited to see them. It's like: yeah, you're really sad. Yeah, you play a saw.
speaking of guys who play saws, Phineas, you and i are from the same cornor of the globe. have you ever caught a guy who calls himself "Dr. O's Bad Trip"? dude is WILD. i saw him once several years ago, and he came out wearing elbow pads, knee pads and one of those Friday the 13th hockey masks. he wailed (or whaled, maybe?) on everything he could get his hands on for 45 minutes. it was the insanest experiment in sound i've ever been witness to, but man he was good. he converted the controls on his wah-wah pedal so that he could make his guitar make sounds no guitar was ever meant to play, he played the funnels (yes, funnels)... it was incredible--and incredibly different. he called his album "the soundtrack to apocalypse." looking back at it, i wish i could have afforded to buy one. luckily, i was at the club to shoot pics for another band that was also playing, and so i took pix of him too.
Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by Jiggle Billy »

well let's see 'em then, hot shot.
Funkman

Post by Funkman »

Why all the Wilco bashing?

If you guys listen to YHF for more than 10 minutes, maybe you will appreciate it more. If I had swept away every band I've heard just because they weren't immediately accessible, I would of missed out on some great music.

Post by Guest »

i listen to wilco at least twice a day
Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by Jiggle Billy »

guest and i share some unique qualities. we both like wilco and we both are the same person.
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Dr O or whatever the guy is called

Post by miss carol »

Sounds like Scott Irving who is Clang Quartet. He's ...interesting. I had the chance to review his latest offering. It was a challenge to listen to twice.

Godspeed definitely is not everyone's taste. I happend to very much like them as I do Yankee Hotel Foxtrot both of which hit me immediately. Also liked Black Heart Processional's latest right away. Oh and my new favorite band this week Broken Social Scene.

What I don't get, and greatly despise is the current love for friggen YES!! What the fucks up with THAT?? And Journey?? Irony? Indigestion, more like.
jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

Okay, I know this topic is now verboten (hooray for the first amendment), and I know I said that I personally would not comment on it anymore, but two truly moronic things were written that I just have to take issue with. First, Jake, I can most definitely name at least one half-way decent British punk bad other than the Clash... How about the Pistols, the band that started this agrument anyway? While we're at it, how about GBH, Expoited, UK Subs, The Damned, X-Ray Spex?... you get the idea.

Second to Razor's_Edge... you really believe that the Offspring, as dull and uninspired as they might be, are cause to mitigate all of the great punk rock that's come out of the US? That's just a really stupid thing to say. I understand you were being hyperbolic, but them's fightin' words at my house. Okay, I think I'm done now.
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

I thought of another band that gets more praise/credit than they deserve: the fucking Bee Gees. I love "Stayin' Alive" as much as anybody. But come on. They might deserve N*Sync's respect, but not mine.

Another one: Burt Bacharach. Yawn.

Elvis Costello. A lot of good stuff, but a lot of yawn.

Beach Boys. Brian wrote a lot of beautiful stuff, but a lot of it is lame puss pop, wannabe classical, yawn fest, schlock. Plus, those other guys (not named Wilson) are dicks. And Brian's solo stuff sounds like crap.

One more: New York Dolls. They're great fun, but I can't imagine how they get credit for being such an influence on punk (primarily British punk, mind you). They sound exactly like the Rolling Stones. Not that that's a bad thing, but the Rolling Stones sounded exactly like the Rolling Stones at that same time. Was it just the fashion?