Sacred Cow Bands where you just don't get the appeal: A rant

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

razor's_edge
GLONO Board Playa

Post by razor's_edge » Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:12 am

sumpin wrote:well let's see 'em then, hot shot.

gladly... soon as i figure out how to upload images. i'm the only one left in the world without a homepage, so i can't even upload them to a page and direct you to them.

razor's_edge
GLONO Board Playa

Post by razor's_edge » Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:14 am

jaimoe0 wrote: you really believe that the Offspring, as dull and uninspired as they might be, are cause to mitigate all of the great punk rock that's come out of the US?.
i'd throw in Green Day for good measure, but i kind of like some of their stuff.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Not simply overrated bands!~

Post by Barabajagal » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:11 pm

Sacred cows folks, sacred cows! Not just "bands many people like!" Bands that are revered, considered "seminal" or "groundbreaking." All right, I'm guilty of it too.

Big Star--some great stuff, but damn if they don't sound like a less funky Steve Miller half the time.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:43 pm

Janis Joplin. Dead and buried people. Boring boring boring

Doors. The only reason they're revered is Morrison was a junkie who was apparently sexy. I don't see it, but there ya go.

Jefferson Airplane. Yawn.

Mama & Papas. opportunist junkies.

I could go on with 60s icons. I think this is a reaction to the 60s nostalgia I had to live through in the 80s. But I have a difficult time revering anyone. Yes, I'm a Beatles fan, but I don't worship them. Maybe include them? I own a lot and hope to own their catalogue, but I don't hold a fucking vigil every Dec 8th. Poor bugger was shot. It's a loss. Move on.

And there another thing: WHAT THE FUCK WITH THE 80S NOSTALGIA???...maybe that's another thread.

spacehum

Post by spacehum » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:19 pm

How about the Flaming Lips? Way overrated, save for maybe a few songs. Also, Frank Zappa. That stuff is so idiotic it hurts my head to listen to it. Although I like his song titles.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:47 pm

miss carol wrote:And there another thing: WHAT THE FUCK WITH THE 80S NOSTALGIA???...maybe that's another thread.
Oh, don't even get me started on 80's nostalgia! Like we were all sitting around in parachute pants listening to Thompson Twins. What about Husker Du, the Replacements, Camper Van Beethoven, The Minutemen? That was my eighties, not Boy George.

You never hear about the Circle Jerks or Suicidal Tendencies when idiots start going on about the 80's!

Ok, rant off. Back to sacred cows.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:45 pm

I think Babarabajagal just nailed the concept of "sacred cow" right on the head when he wrote...
Big Star--some great stuff, but damn if they don't sound like a less funky Steve Miller half the time.
As a guy who swears by the altar of Alex Chilton, I'm so blinded by my utter fanaticism with Big Star (moreso their first two albums) to even comprehend how someone might not like them. I just listened again, and it's still life-changing stuff for me.

My own "huh?" band is Black Flag. I dunno, I respect the hell out of what they stood for, my perception of their principles, for starting SST while it was good... but I dunno, the music leaves me cold. And all of Rollins's subsequent prancing is like taking a Tommy gun to any credibility he earned whilst a member of said group.

Minor Threat - Please don't get me wrong, I think Ian McKaye is one of the most principled guys in rock today, and he's got my respect just for that fact alone. I bought the Complete Discography disc, and it just didn't grab me by the nuts.

...but at the same time, I really dig Mission of Burma and the first Suicidal Tendencies, which leads me to believe that I like some hardcore. Weird, huh?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:21 pm

Henry fucking Rollins. I hear the sizzle....that's it man...

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:28 pm

Henry fucking Rollins. I hear the sizzle....that's it man...
Carol, I can't tell whose side you're on: are you looking to enshrine the sweat off his perfectly toned abs, or were you thinking of ordering a hit for the sad-bastard has-been?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:29 pm

Ha! Hank has a nice back and great legs (of which I have lovely photos I took back in the day), but alas, I fear he is has-been. Worse, he's doing voice-overs for TLC programming. shudder. My love for dear Hank faded quicker than a Walmart Tshirt in hot water with his first of too many spoken word records. During this stage of his "career", he attempted irony with "Men are Pigs" - not witty or clever, or ironic, or funny, or smart...or, in fact, true*. Just fucking masterbation on vinyl and just thinking about that dumb ass masterbating .... ugh! So, yes, he's decidedly overrated and I really don't understand the fuss...about Henry that is.

*As a sidebar: Men who act like pigs stop being men.