First Impressions Of Earth

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

First Impressions Of Earth

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:08 am

Just got the new Strokes - anyone else? Finally, they dropped the crappy mic effect on the vocals.

So far not bad - it'll take a few listens before I decide it's groovee or not.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:02 am

Yeah, I haven't listened to it enough to really give it a good judgement. It sounds like something I'll dig for a while and then stop listening to, just like their first two albums.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:50 am

i've listened to it a few times and have been disappointed thus far. I have been firmly in the 'pro' Strokes camp. However, the new record sounds almost forced to sound different...almost artificially so. I'm hoping I'll like it more upon a few other future listens but I've had it since it came out and I'm not exactly running across the room to do so now.

terrabull
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby terrabull » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:02 am

I'm loving this album, despite its duller moments. I'm peeved to see that Pitchfork gave Impressions a measly 5.9.

This may be a reference that nobody gets, because as far as I can tell nobody listens to the Strokes-aping Razorlight on this side of the atlantic, but holy shit do Casablancas's vocals ever sound like Razorlight on "You Only Live Once" - its a great song, though.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:28 am

i listen to razorlight... but not the strokes. does that make me a bad person?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:20 pm

terrabull wrote:I'm peeved to see that Pitchfork gave Impressions a measly 5.9.

Why do you care? I'm not trying to be a dick; I'm just curious.

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:48 pm

Because whether you like it or not most people see Pitchfork as the highest authority on "indie rock/underground/etc" at the moment. Who cares if many of their reviewers are largely 20 year-old kids who only own 10 albums made before 1980?

The only band I will continue to listen to from this whole movement is Interpol, and that's because they sound like the Chameleons (who they introduced me to, but who are much better).

Bears lost. Boo.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Re: First Impressions Of Earth

Postby steve-o » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:32 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:Just got the new Strokes - anyone else? Finally, they dropped the crappy mic effect on the vocals.

Aw, c'mon man, that's a great effect. It makes "Is This It" sound just perfect on vinyl.

I went into this album not really expecting it to live up to the last two, but there's some decent stuff on there. The best song for me was "You Only Live Once", which was still a little disappointing because I like the best stuff to be buried towards the middle, it makes hearing the whole album seem more worthwhile. "On The Other Side" is pretty sweet too, though I kept thinking I'd rather hear Debbie Harry sing it. I never really much cared for the first single, "Juicebox," because it just sounds like a cross between the Spy Hunter theme and "The Peter Gunn Suite" from The Blues Brothers. But the good songs on there more than makes up for a pretty weak single.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:41 pm

I really can't decide after two listens if I like it or not. I can't get past how different the playing is on it. Everything is So much more aggresive (other than the vocals). The drums are way busier and more complex, the bass tone is a lot growlier, the guitars are - dare I say it - almost heavy metal in spots (I swear there's an Iron Maiden riff in track 6), and the whole thing is less catchy. I had heard it would be different, but I just wasn't expecting this.

I don't know what to do with myself. I'm going to go make a sandwich.

terrabull
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby terrabull » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:48 am

Jake wrote:
terrabull wrote:I'm peeved to see that Pitchfork gave Impressions a measly 5.9.

Why do you care? I'm not trying to be a dick; I'm just curious.

Good question, Jake. Whay do I care? On second thought, I don't. But I did care enough to write it, so I must actually care a bit. Damn.

i care what other people think of the music I like, even those that I don't know (this board should be evidence of that phenomenon). Pitchfork does have a bit of credibility, and a lot of influence. A good review on pitchfork does wonders for the exposure of an album.

Personally, i'd like to see "impressions" do really well, so that someday I might actually hear it on my local radio station or when I walk into a gas station, instead of fucking Nickelback ad nauseum. A bad review anywhere decreases the chance of that happening.

But really, I've listened to this album a number of few times now and I think its actually really good, despite all the lukewarm response. Not as solid as the their first (perhaps a function of being overlong), but fiercer and catchier than their second. I'm sick of the backlash brigades stomping on a record based on popular fashion. Let's face it - it became pretty cool to bash the strokes, almost form the moment they hit MTV. The album is good, better than most rock albums that came out last year. A 5.9 is in bad faith, if you ask me.

Return to “Rants and Raves”