Music's Worst Year

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:04 pm

steve-o wrote:I was thinking of stuff like Motown, which I think was good for it's time, but I still wince whenever I hear some of those ridiculously bright highs. You don't get as much of that on modern recordings.

To react to a side issue: Maybe because they were produced with transistor or car AM radios in mind?

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:43 pm

Lep wrote:
steve-o wrote:I was thinking of stuff like Motown, which I think was good for it's time, but I still wince whenever I hear some of those ridiculously bright highs. You don't get as much of that on modern recordings.

To react to a side issue: Maybe because they were produced with transistor or car AM radios in mind?

Very true, I'm sure they weren't as worried about low end response as people are now.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:01 am

i like music in my earhole...

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:16 pm

Jake wrote:You guys are all crazy. Music has been bought and sold since the 1800s (as sheet music) and centuries before that if you count paying for musicians to play for you.

Grounded and n8, you've had this conversation before (not that long ago), and now you're saying the exact same things. So I will repeat myself to join in on the fun:

4 months ago, I wrote:It's important to keep in mind that the whole idea the album as we know it is a very recent invention. Only since the 1960s (a little earlier in the jazz world) have artists considered the LP a cohesive piece.

Are you saying that before the 60s, there was no art of music? If so, that's just dumb.

Rock and roll was built on the singles market. 45 revolutions per minute. Seven inches. In a plain paper wrapper. Later, record companies started adding picture sleeves.

What comes around goes around.

Heck, don't forget 78's. I still have some of them kicking around.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:17 pm

n8 wrote:It's an interesting question and different people have different views. From my viewpoint, I'd have to agree with you grounded, that the advent of MP3 made the difference. The reason is that up until that point music was still largely released in album format (whether vinyl, 8-track, cassette, CD, etc.), and an album is as a whole a work of art. A song, no matter how good, is just a song, and as soon as we could buy and sell songs on a mass level, music became commodified. I believe the critical difference between an MP3 and a physical album is that the song has become dissociated from visual art, from permanent media, and from a prescribed context.

Once someone started making money from it, it beame commodified. What's taking the soul from music isn't how it's being transmitted, but what people are doing with it once they buy it (or steal it).

Return to “Rants and Raves”