Jared Leto as Lennon's killer

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Do you really look to the movies for important insight? I go to see interesting stories that can make me feel something. I like movies about psychopathic killers. I think it's one of the themes that cinema does better than any other medium.
D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips »

Exactly, which is why I asked to remove the names and tell me this isn't an interesting story.

And Missippi Burning is about civil rights like this Chapman bio pic is about gun control...
Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal »

"Requiem" was technically a good film, and perhaps this Chapman deal is a good film. Art? well....But for example, I had mixed feelings about the Gus Van Sant film "Last Days." I think Cobain is a legitimate pop historical figure and I really enjoyed the film quite a bit--but despite myself, I had to wonder whether it was simply the vicarious thrill of seeing what rich messed up decadent rock stars do in their down time, beautified by the almost zen-like serenity of the film's tone (which maybe glossed over the pathetic sordidness of the whole thing).

As to the "nothing is off limits in Art," that's a point of view I used to espouse in theory but don't anymore. I think there's a certain intellectual laxness about that point of view. Maybe viewing film presupposes a kind of voyeurism that is inescapable. I don't know. I know it's a personal thing for me: I'm just sick of certain tropes in our pop culture that ring false and disingenuous, whether it's sensationalism, celeb worship, or nostalgia or voyeurism or whatever. And perfectly willing to admit I'm "guilty" of consuming some of it, too.

As to your other point, I have no problem at all with showing the "human" side of heroes. It's just that personally I know all I need to know about Chapman.
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

D. Phillips wrote: So, was it OK to make the film "I Shot Andy Warhol" or "Missippi Burning" or any other film based on actual events that happen to focus on psychopathic behavior? Is it safe for a film about John Wilkes Booth? What about Lee Harvey Oswald? Why would Chapman be off-limits?
Good point.
trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by trainwreck2 »

there was German film about one of the 9-11 hijackers that went into why the bastard was part of the hijacking instead of simply saying he is a bad man, it explained why...does anyone know if this made it to the states on DVD? I know a lot of people were pissed because they thought it was excusing his actions by wondering what him think this way... (wasnt there recently a Hitler bio the same)
russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by russ »

The reason I am so against this film and ill not see it, is because the reason MDC killed LENNON is because he wanted to be famous.
Thats why he chose to k ill one of the most famous musicians in the world.
And by turning his life and his murderous act INTO ART ( a movie) he is getting EXACTLY what he WANTED in the first place.
Now for the rest of history, long after we are all dead and gone, there will not just be the newspaper, magazine and tv shows about Lennon's murder by MDC, but a HOLLYWOOD MOVIE on dvds and tv for posterity.
They are giving MDC exactly what he wanted.
More and more noteriety.
Movie like "JFK" or "Mississippi Burning", or "I Shot Andy Warhol" were about people that were either full of hate, or mentally unstable, but those people did NOT murder for the sole reason of becoming famous.

Unlike MDC.
Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema »

I wanna party with you Lee Harvey!
You are a MADMAN!
russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by russ »

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:I wanna party with you Lee Harvey!
You are a MADMAN!
LOL!
Caddyshack, right?
jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

russ wrote:
You are a MADMAN!
LOL!
Caddyshack, right?
"Stripes."
russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by russ »

jaimoe0 wrote:
russ wrote:
You are a MADMAN!
LOL!
Caddyshack, right?
"Stripes."
well, I was close....