Show Killers

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:35 pm

Chiming in on Jordan's post:

I never hold it against an artist for playing what he/she wants. Lots of people get mad when Neil Young or Dylan don't play their big hits. Seriously? Imagine how many times Neil has played "Old Man" or Dylan has played "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" since the 60s. Or, God forbid, they play it but in a different arrangement!!!

There are songs in the vast Riviera catalog that the band has grown tired of but we know people like to hear. But if we're not into it, what's the point?

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:48 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Chiming in on Jordan's post: Imagine how many times Neil has played "Old Man" or Dylan has played "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" since the 60s. Or, God forbid, they play it but in a different arrangement!!!

Dylan did that when I saw him, except with 'Highway 61'. I didn't even recognize the tune till it was almost over. God forbade it.

Seriously, God's a huge Dylan purist. 0_0

And the worst at a show? The inevitable drunk guy who's jealous of the attention the band's getting and tries to insert himself into everything. I usually end up in fisticuffs with these assholes (I almost broke up a Stan Ridgeway show once shutting a drunk idiot up - but he did calm down and behave himself afterwards).

"LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT MEEEeeeeeee...." (as he's getting hauled away).

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:23 pm

D. Phillips wrote:But if we're not into it, what's the point?

To sell off the existing stock of your album and thereby recoup the costs of your record label?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:26 pm

Jake wrote:
D. Phillips wrote:But if we're not into it, what's the point?

To sell off the existing stock of your album and thereby recoup the costs of your record label?

Shut it, suit!

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:43 pm

I don't mind people getting a bit rowdy unless they are potentially harmful or getting in the way of the performance. Hopefully there's a Jack White to put them in their place, too.

When you go to see a Neil, Dylan, Elvis Costello, Joni Mitchell--you take whatever they're bringing. They've earned the right to do whatever they want--BUT they should throw the audience a couple bones (and usually do).

Absolutely agree about meaningless "political" statements (unless they've brought Amnesty or Greenpeace or something with them and they want you to sign a petition or something). That apology stuff is douchey in so many ways--unless they are apologizing for Bush, say, in Texas, which would be pretty rock. I hate ANY chastising of the audience (unless it's hilarious, like Bob Pollard). If you want reaction, try rocking us, douches. Similarly, if you require silence, either earn it with your mesmerizing performance or go play a recital hall. We paid for this shit--and now YOU expect something in return?

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:17 am

in regards to the chastising of the audience that reminds of the time micheal stipe stopped what he was doing and yelled to someone in the audience "that better not be styrofoam buddy".

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:29 pm

My previous comments aside, whoever the first guy was that yelled "Summer of '69!" at a Ryan Adams show is hilarious in my book.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:28 pm

that happened where i live. ryan had the guy thrown out and the local paper gave the show a shitty review (aside from the whole summer of '69 thing). well hilarity ensued because ryan wrote the paper a scathing letter in reposnse to the bad review. he called this "hick town" (in his own words) some awful names. the paper printed it and responded back.

Return to “Rants and Raves”