Billy Bragg snubs British MPs

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:29 pm

Here's an interesting AP release regarding Billy Bragg. Imagine this happening in the USA. The closest we get is Fleetwood Mac at the Democratic convention. Anybody remember Lee Atwater and his Fender?

From AP:

Bragg snubs British MPs
LONDON, England (AP) -- Rock singer Billy Bragg hiked up his sweater to show off a T-shirt featuring the punk band the Clash as he testified in Parliament, telling legislators they were out of touch with the British people.

"I look at you here in your suits and ties and me sitting here in my Clash T-shirt, and I don't really see myself represented here," he told the House of Commons Public Administration Committee Thursday. "The majority of us don't see ourselves."

Asked to speak about how public appointments are made, Bragg blamed Prime Minister Tony Blair's Labor party government for making young people cynical by failing to live up to its promises.

He rebuffed a 44-year-old Welsh legislator who pointed out that he and the 44-year-old Bragg were from the same generation and both grew up on punk rock.

"You should see my audience," the musician told lawmaker Kevin Brennan. "They are all the same age as us, and they don't look like you, mate."

Bragg, whose music has a leftist political message, said it was important to convince young people that they could have an impact on government.

He urged lawmakers to change the way members of the House of Lords are selected, saying the legislative body should include ordinary people who lack political connections.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Mon Mar 11, 2002 10:12 am

I'm shocked that they would allow him to even address them? I wonder if they knew that he would act that way?

I'm willing to bet that addressing the government has been on the minds of Metallica as of late. I can picture it now, Lars Ulrich and Dick Cheney pictured on the front page of the paper shaking hands with the title, "Metallica Rocks DC Like It's Never Been Rocked".

Return to “Rants and Raves”