Page Turning

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Page Turning

Postby miss carol » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:57 am

Emo boy lit??

And what are y'all reading? Me, I'm enjoying Jeffrey Euginendes' Virgin Suicides and Gwynne Dyer's War.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:27 am

Well, it's about time some enterprising authors jumped on that untapped demographic. They can only read Bukowski and David Eggers but so many times before they start getting bored.

Lately for me it's been a lot of non-fiction. I just waded through Richard Hostadler's Anti-Intellectualism and American Life, which despite the la-de-dah title, was actually really interesting and insightful. There's also a new book on the Cajuns I need to pick up.

I don't know, other than that I've had a hard time finding new stuff that grabs me lately. If you want to really mourn the death of American culture, browse the Barnes & Noble Top 20 some time. It will leave a knot in your stomach.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:51 am

I'm a fool for books about the captains of the record industry (still waiting for Jake & Derek: The GloNo Records Story), especially if they're about the classic times when the majors actually had a clue. To that end, I'm reading Exploding by Stan Cornyn. Cornyn was at WB Records from the very beginning, and he has a barge-load of tales of WEA's glorious '70s heyday. Good stuff, and I just started it!!

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:56 am

The new Guided By Voices biog--totally entertaining for the GBVer--takes precedence over the other stuff: The Collected Works of Emily Dickinson and Plato's Republic. ED's always been one of my very favorites; and every now and then I need to remind myself that I can't read nor understand the purpose of philosophy.

LOVE Eugenides' style--at least what I know of it from VS--and that Hostadler book is one of those on my never-ending reading list. Dudes.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:00 am

DJMurphy wrote:I'm a fool for books about the captains of the record industry (still waiting for Jake & Derek: The GloNo Records Story)

Murph, didn't Hollywood just adapt that story, but as a western? I think it's out in the theaters, now.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:36 am

I wish I knew how to quit you.

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:53 am

Barabajagal wrote:
DJMurphy wrote:I'm a fool for books about the captains of the record industry (still waiting for Jake & Derek: The GloNo Records Story)

Murph, didn't Hollywood just adapt that story, but as a western? I think it's out in the theaters, now.

Fucking awesome.As for myself, I'm finishing P.J. O'Rourke's "Parliament of Whores" today. Quick snack this weekend will be this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031232 ... s&v=glance

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:13 pm

Jake wrote:I wish I knew how to quit you.

omg THANK you for that! too fucking funny!

If you want to really mourn the death of American culture, browse the Barnes & Noble Top 20 some time. It will leave a knot in your stomach.

Rest assured that that placement is bought and paid for by the publisher. Sadly, the buying public has no clue and won't believe me when I tell them. sheep...

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:25 pm

miss carol wrote:Rest assured that that placement is bought and paid for by the publisher. Sadly, the buying public has no clue and won't believe me when I tell them. sheep...

Actually that makes me feel a lot better to realize that millions of people aren't actually buying the fifty different incarnations of The Purpose Driven Life.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:23 pm

steve-o wrote:
miss carol wrote:Rest assured that that placement is bought and paid for by the publisher. Sadly, the buying public has no clue and won't believe me when I tell them. sheep...

Actually that makes me feel a lot better to realize that millions of people aren't actually buying the fifty different incarnations of The Purpose Driven Life.

um sorry, but they are. Religion/spirituality is a HUGE category second only to self-help. Nevertheless, the rest holds true, but usually only for the chains. Independent shops often don't have "comp" deals and "face out" books based on other criteria. At my store it could be we like the book, it's pretty, we know the author, or it's big and we need to fill the space. In some shops, they do and end cap of yellow books. We may have small market share, but our flare will NOT BE CRUSHED BY THE MAN!

Return to “Rants and Raves”