Lindsay and Ryan sitting in a tree...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:19 pm

okay RA fans...I thought the first 3 Whiskeytown releases (FS,SA,RFD) were fan frikken-tastic and pneumonia was boring as crap...Heartbreaker was OK and I attempted Gold also but returned it...Which of RAs solo stuff should I attempt to listen to now? Also how come there is no official release of the "unissued" WHiskeytown stuff? They could do a triple cd box of the F**ker demos and stuff....

kohl
GLONO Board Playa

Train wreck

Postby kohl » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:02 pm

Go for Jacksonville City Nights and possibly Cold Roses.

He's ventured pretty far from Whiskeytown territory. Jacksonville is very honky tonk, more so than Whiskeytown, but has a loose, laid-back almost punk sensibility to it. And it has some of his strongest songs to date, in my opinion. Think you could like that one. Oh and there's also an old Whiskeytown song on it, "My Heart is Broken."

Roses is what the Grateful Dead would have sounded like if Ryan was fronting them. More acoustic and, though I hate the term, more alt-country. If that sounds good to you, go for it. A fine album. (It's two discs though, you probably won't like ALL of it. I know I don't.)

If you didn't really like Pneumonia, Hearbreaker, or Gold, you're not likely to like anything else. Though Demolition has some rollicking stuff reminiscent of Whiskeytown, it also has some rockin stuff and Heartbreakerish stuff. So I think you'd find it uneven and annoying. But you never know.

And yeah, they should have a box set of unrealeased Whiskeytown stuff. But you'll probably have to wait til Mr. Adams ODs. Since he's putting out at least a couple albums a year at this point, record labels are not likely to put out more of his material. And I think some of those recordings could be embroiled in a legal disput between labels.

Well there's a really long asnwer to your simple question. Cheers.[/i]

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:26 pm

I was pretty much going to say the same thing, until Kohl beat me to it. You will probably like Jacksonville City Nights the most out of his recent releases. Its the one the most resembles the Whiskeytown days. Cold Roses is close, but very Grateful Dead-ish (and probably could have been cut down to a single cd.)

I like Demolition too, but I wouldn't bother with Love is Hell or Rock n' Roll which are pretty weak and far from sounding anything close to Whiskeytown.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:22 am

If you don't like Pneumonia, I'm not sure I'd recommend any of his albums.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:31 am

I've tried to like Ryan Adams. I've listened through all of his music......and Whiskeytown never grabbed me at all, Heartbreaker and Gold are alright, Demolition/Love is Hell/Cold Roses/Jacksonville/29 all being unbelievably boring to my ears, and Rock N Roll being my favourite of the lot. By a lot. I listen to it pretty often.

Therefore...don't bash Rock N Roll so much. It makes me sad.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Tue May 02, 2006 5:37 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Sven, is that you??

Hey N8.... DJ Murphy beat ya to it about 10 minutes after Fester's debut..
Thanks for the newsflash Tom Brokaw.

Return to “Rants and Raves”