After, after. . .

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

After, after. . .

Postby O! » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:12 am

After you've forked over your inheritance to Everyday Music or CDNow or where ever you choose to purchase your Glono Essentials, and after you've got all the other essential recordings once you own what every Glono poster should own, take a moment to consider your fine music collection, be it digital, vinyl or reel-to-reel. What are your truly prized possessions? What albums (or singles) would you not be willing to part with even if a crazed collector threatened you with castration (or something equally grotesque and deforming for the ladies)?

For example, in my collection I have four CD singles from Isn't Anything and Loveless era My Bloody Valentine, and even though I rarely put them on after copying them to my iPod, I get a tingle of happiness just looking at them.

Now, this shouldn't be a common fabulous album, such as Low's classic The Curtain Hits The Cast or your favorite Bob Dylan CD (unless it's signed or somehow blessed by the artist). It should be something presumably and exceedingly rare.

Another example: a promotional compilation of Dead Can Dance. It has no title, but features tracks very similar to their Best Of Album, with a few notable differences.

I am interested in your gilded treasures. These things rarely see the light of day, so here's your chance to showcase them. Not so I can buy them or anything, I just like to drool with envy. ;o)>

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:31 am

I have a four disc reggae best-of. I only have the discs--they're all black with big pot leaves on it and "Disc One," "Disc Two," etc. Classic, classic reggae. I have no idea what it's even called. And I don't know any of the songs or who performs them.

Also, I have two albums from AM/FM--Getting Into Sinking and The Sky Is The New Ground, which is really great experimental indie pop. And when I was writing for Swizzle-Stick, I got a self-titled album from this band Serene, which is like listening to Sunny Day Real Estate while standing outside on a rainy summer night. Also, Nujabes' album Metaphorical Music and Modal Soul. Sorta RJD2ish, except with more flourid production and less grim.

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:23 am

Sweet. Anybody know what those Reggae discs are?

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:34 am

my tortoise remix cd "rhythms, resolutions, and clusters" is a source of some pride for me. i think it's readily available these days but when i got mine it was a rare thing indeed. also i have momus' original release of "little red songbook" with the song about walter/wendy carlos on it before he got sued and the song was stricken from the album. i also have a momus promo/interview cd that i got while seeing him at an in-store in austin. i believe that particular cd is much sought after. i have congo norvell's "the dope, the lies, the vaseline" cd even tho it was never officially released. some promos were sent out but the album never saw the light of day. i got mine from the bargain bin of a used cd store for a buck... on the opposite side of the price spectrum, i have a spoken word cd by a guy named hugh brown shu (real name hugh gallagher) that i ended up paying $53 for after shipping... maybe my favorite/most coveted item tho is an album that a friend of mine released a few years back. the band is called Go Metric USA and the album is "three chords by two verses"... he self released it and not many were made. i have one and i gotta say that it's as good a slice of garage/jangle pop as you're ever gonna hear...

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:17 am

The ones I really enjoy looking at:

1. My 180 Gram vinyl copy of Loveless.
2. British vinyl issue of The Strokes Is This It- the one with the thigh.
3. Autographed version of The Wrens Meadowlands- my one piece of dopey fanboy-dom. This along with two separate bootlegs of Wrens shows.
4. A metric ton of Radiohead B-sides, bootlegs, demos, alternate takes, including recordings from when they were called On a Friday. Of course, those are less rare now thanks to eBay, but that took a lot of legwork to put together.

I had a huge collection of demos and live stuff from Big Star, The Mountain Goats, Iron and Wine, Centro-matic, The Pixies, etc until someone decided to liberate my laptop from my apartment the other day. So yeah, the lesson is, kids...back those files up.

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:36 am

steve-o, I am sure jealous of those Radiohead singles. I have a few random ones, but I was never able to get all of them.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:09 pm

creepy wrote:on the opposite side of the price spectrum, i have a spoken word cd by a guy named hugh brown shu (real name hugh gallagher) that i ended up paying $53 for after shipping...

Wow! I've never heard of anybody outside of my circle of friends who's heard that. My man Vit gave me his copy. Shhh, don't tell him how much you paid. Actually, Vit, if you want it back, you can have it. I've got it copied.

But yeah. It's awesome, probably my favorite spoken-word album ever. His bit on Kojak is the best! But it's all great. I should post some mp3s so everybody can hear it.

His novel, Teeth, blew though. Bummed me out. Has he done anything since then?

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:51 pm

i don't think i have much, but there are 3. one that i am really digging is my copy of the slip's unreleased album give em the slip. this isn't the same slip that can be found at tower or other places. this slip was a dallas based group that lasted about a year and consisted of all but one of the new bo's. the 2nd one is a cassette that i still have. it's abra moore's strangest places signed by her. the last one is patty griffin's sliver bell (the entire cd). i'm not sure how rare it is, but i had a hell of a time trying to find it. there are two i would love to have. they are the original first ep and lp by the 10,000 maniacs. the only thing is they're only on vinyl.

spacehum

Postby spacehum » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:44 pm

Tom4 wrote: I got a self-titled album from this band Serene, which is like listening to Sunny Day Real Estate while standing outside on a rainy summer night.

i saw them live, before they changed their name to serene uk. fantastic cd.

my favorite would be my collection of american analog set tour vinyl. awesome. you have to love their t-shirt design:

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Hmm...

I love holding on to my original Jackie Mittoo on Studio One vinyl.

I really dig my Teenage Fanclub "Thirteen" promo copy that was the first release with all these bonus tracks that aren't listed.

I'm glad to have one of the Gories first 45s, Bug House, and only paid $1 for it.

On a sidenote, Jake, I thought you got rid of ALL of your vinyl?

Return to “Rants and Raves”