The Arctic Monkeys

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

The Arctic Monkeys

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

So what's the deal? Anyone heard them? They were featured on NPR yesterday, and I gotta admit they have a good sound - reminded me of a cross between the Libertines and a little Franz Ferdinand.

UK GloNoids - any thoughts?
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

I've listened to the album a few times now, and I really like it. Sort of a cross between the Libertines and early Blur. I would have never given this band a chance at all because I loathe the NME hype machine (as well as the Pitchfork hype machine, and most other hype machines, I guess), but a friend forced me to listen to a couple of songs and I had to admit they were good. The album is solid. Not mindblowing, but really good.

We linked to some free, legit MP3s here.
Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Batchy »

Yeah, there's a big deal being made of them over on this side of the water. They're kinda the "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!" of the UK. Their "hype" was generated by their playing relentlessly and giving their music away for free on the Internet.

Heard the album once as well as their cannon of singles more than once and they are good. For sure. Dancy guitary stuff with witty lyrics and a good chunkfunky riffin' sound. That said haven't bought the album having been assaulted with so much hype about them. I get the early Oasis Shakermaker vibe off their genesis so far.
Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 »

I have to dissent here. I don't really see what the fuss is all about. I like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah much better. But I give them credit, the singer's only 19 (I think). I'd like to see what they do as his songwriting skills grow.
amy the wineaux
GLONO Board Playa

Post by amy the wineaux »

I was excited to bring back the cd from UK. They do have all my London friends proclaiming them as the new genius rockers.
I'm in the late stages of like right now, not quite in love yet. The Magic Numbers and Bedouin Soundcrash however have moved into heart and ipod top 10.
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Tom, considering your admitted distaste for "leather jacket guitar rock" it doesn't surprise me that the Arctic Monkeys are not your cup of tea.

For those of us who still believe that the Clash opened up a motherlode that has yet to be fully excavated, these kids are the latest in a long line of miners of quality rock and roll.
hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Post by hebrew hammer »

Yes! I diggin' it. I got it yesterday, and it's great. Definitely making me believe the hype. I was thinking British Franz Ferdinand, but now that Jake mentions early Blur, that's right on. I didn't think of that, but it's a good comparison. I'm not hearing that much of the Libertines, though. Except for the accents.

I'm always reluctant to buy into these bands that have the hype machines going full throttle (CYHSY, Arcade Fire), but I always give in (eventually) and I'm usually better for the decision, so I decided to get it, and once again I'm happy about the decision. The hype machines have been good lately.
Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 »

Jake wrote:Tom, considering your admitted distaste for "leather jacket guitar rock" it doesn't surprise me that the Arctic Monkeys are not your cup of tea.

For those of us who still believe that the Clash opened up a motherlode that has yet to be fully excavated, these kids are the latest in a long line of miners of quality rock and roll.
Yeah, you're 100% correct. I'm not one for the "rock n' roll" music. Point conceded.
quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by quasarwutwut »

I heard an interview once with the old bassist from Queens of the Stone Age talking about recording with Dave Grohl, and he said "Dave pretty much invented that beat for "Smells Like Teen Spirit". That beat defined a sound, and I've never heard it before." I'm not saying that the Arctic Monkey drummer is the next Dave Grohl, but I had that reaction when I heard "Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor" for the first time: I've never heard that beat before. You know, the intro part? It's badass.

And for the rest of my two-cents, I hear a big ol' mix of brit-pop, with the Blur, the Libertines, a little Oasis, but for sure some Stone Roses and even some Morrissey-esque phrasing. And I agree with the earlier post that they have room to grow as songwriters, because they're young and you can hear it, but I think that gives them a ton of energy that you can also hear. Big fan of "From the Ritz to the Rubble".
Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

I just downloaded it (legal-like), and I dig. That's some good rock from across the pond. Wait, that sounds like I'm talking about British crack.

It's a little derivative of Libertines/Blur/Ferdinand and the general UK scene, but it's got enough of it's own style. Might be some big things coming from these lads.