One Hit Wonders

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Mon Mar 11, 2002 10:08 am

I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine over the weekend and would like to solicit everyone else's opinion.

Do you think the Strokes, with their mega-selling hit Last Nite, will go down as "One Hit Wonders"?

As far as commercial radio goes, they've been overplayed and will not likely have another single. Will this leave the "McDonald's Masses" with the idea that the Strokes were nothing but a band that had one good single? If so, do you think they'll have another major label release?

I guess the underlying question is:

What happens to great bands that are forced to fit in to the Clear Channel world of music? Any predictions, examples?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:55 pm

Well, I suppose it depends on well the band's management can get another song into rotation. There are a number of Strokes songs that are as singable as Last Nite. If they could get a cool video out, that would help.

But these next few months will be very interesting to watch, as for music. I am seeing LOTS of Garage Rock on MTV2: The Hives, White Stripes, Strokes, etc. Could spark something. These are mega-catchy tunes with dirty vocals and pounding drums. Watch and see if your neighbor's leather jacket-wearing son's band is the next Nirvana.

madness
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby madness » Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:36 pm

I just got an email from their list today. Seems the new U.S. single is "Hard To Explain" which is already getting airplay on the coasts. I like that song a lot. A video is in the works. They'll also be on Letterman April 9th. The single will also come out on a 7" mid-April with "NY City Cops as a B-side. I think they'll be okay as long as they take some time out from the whirlwind touring to work on their music. They're playing Coachella April 28th.

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Tue Mar 12, 2002 9:37 am

Ok, so I don't know what I'm talking about. The White Stripes and the Hives are on MTV? What the fuck is going on? Could we be in for a renaissance of good music?

Can you picture it? Teenage boys all over America with Meg White posters on their bedroom doors, the Handsome Family doing the milk mustache ads, and Wilco doing the Halftime Show at the Super Bowl?

I was reading an interview with Jason Pierce of Spiritualized and the interviewer kept leading Pierce with these questions that implied that there would be a change in musical tastes in America due to the 9/11 events.

They seemed to say that pop music with it's lack of emotion and message had no bearing in a nation that had been shaken up. Then again, maybe they were trying to sell more Spiritualized albums; worked on me.

Stephen Macaulay
GLONO Team Member

Postby Stephen Macaulay » Sat Mar 16, 2002 7:31 pm

Can you picture it? Teenage boys all over America with Meg White posters on their bedroom doors, the Handsome Family doing the milk mustache ads, and Wilco doing the Halftime Show at the Super Bowl?

. . .and then some Bizarro World GloNo would be cracking all of the above without mercy. . .

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:16 pm

Where can I get one of those Meg White posters?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 19, 2002 8:49 am

White Stripes photos and art: http://www.whitestripes.com/art.html

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Tue Mar 19, 2002 9:30 am

When I see the White Stripes in Cleveland this month, I fully intend to become one of her groupies. It's likely that I won't get much of a chance to log on to the Internet when I'm on the road so I would just like to take this chance to say thanks for all the rambling and I'll drop you a line occasionally to update you on how everything's going.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:15 pm

Prop,
Write up a review of the show and email it to me or Jake.

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:11 pm

How about a review of how Meg kisses?

Return to “Rants and Raves”