Iron Fist of Metal

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Iron Fist of Metal

Postby quasarwutwut » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:58 pm

I just purchased The Swords' Age of Winters from iTunes. I saw a blurb on them on the MTV2, and then a friend of mine mentioned them the other night and said they were "louder than death". With that strong a recommendation I figured I better give them a shot, and at first blush they sound like a really determined, really well recorded Sabbath. Kind of all the best elements (including the borderline-idiotic lyrics mostly concerning Norse mythology), but curiously they look about as threatening as The Shins and are from Austin.

I waited until I was alone in my office, turned it up fairly loudly to see what would happen, and sure enough an iron-gloved fist actually came out of my monitor and punched me in the nuts. I'm going to go get an ice pack and try it again in about 20 minutes. It seems like a lifetime since I've been wounded by metal.

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:24 pm

metal's been making a comeback in a big way over this past year. from your comment and the write-up on allmusic.com i think i might have to give this one a chance.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:09 am

New metal that achieves nut-punching goodness? I must hear it. You know, I was a huge metal fan when metal meant Zep, Sabbath, Deep Purple up through Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Saxon and even into some of the early thrash metal (that's what we used to call your metallica's and your megadeath's even though that nomenclature probably no longer applies. Is there another genre with as many sub-genres as metal? or where the rules of what qualifies as "metal" have changed so radically?), but I must confess to not being able to appreciate to its fullest the death metal and the black metal and movements like grindcore. I'm quite certain the flaw is with me.

Herb Tarlek
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Herb Tarlek » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:05 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:but I must confess to not being able to appreciate to its fullest the death metal and the black metal and movements like grindcore. I'm quite certain the flaw is with me.

Damn straight it is. Because honestly.....

what's not to like?

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:33 pm

Seriously, I think the make-up and outfits are ridiculous, but I'm really just talkin' about the music here. I always wonder whether I would have liked the more extreme kinds of metal if I had been younger and angrier when I was introduced to it. I don't think my age group is their targe audience.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:43 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:... I must hear it. You know, I was a huge metal fan when metal meant Zep, Sabbath, Deep Purple up through Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Saxon and even into some of the early thrash metal

You guys (and gals) ever check out "Wolfmother"? They're from down under, have been getting kinda hyped, and I had a big dorkument with some guy over at Audioscrobbler/Last.fm about whether or not they were "metal" or not.

Anyway, on their EP they sound like Sabbath with Jack White on vocals. The album version seems to have backed off the falsetto a bit, but otherwise it still rocks HARD. Tracks like "Apple Tree" and "Joker and the Thief" will set off some major face-melting.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:05 pm

That Sword album is the shit! Rock out with your sword out... for real.

A friend of mine put to me like this, "Dude, I'm a 32 year old carpenter. I grew up listening to punk rock with political lyrics and agendas and all that shit. Now, when I have time to chill out and listen to music, I want something with some fantasy. I want wizards, witches, demons and queens, I've got enough reality in my life that I don't need it in my music."

After he said that, I have to admit my view of fantasy lyrics changed quite a bit.

Return to “Rants and Raves”