New CDs = Love or maybe just like? 2006 Edition

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:09 pm

worpswede wrote:I don't agree with this. I think it's a hair better than the last one; they sound confident on "The Obliterati" while "OnOffOn" sounds a little tenative, like they're shaking away the cobwebs after being apart for, what, twenty-something years. Both are good, neither as good as "Vs" but really, what is. Nonetheless, it's fucking Mission of Burma, the praise is deserving, and they're more challenging than most of the stuff out there.

I prefer ONoffON, but it's really personal preference. It's a coin toss. I agree Obliterati sounds more confident, but like I said, coin toss. There's no more than a hair difference no matter which one you prefer, and, of course, neither is as good as Vs.

Kristy
GLONO Team Member

Postby Kristy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:20 pm

Joanna Newsom, The Milk-Eyed Mender.

It's really pretty. You have get used to her voice, which is very strange, baby-talk-ish and yowly. But the yowly parts are quite neat and her melodies are gorgeous.

At the same time it is a little bit twee.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:13 am

Kristy wrote:Hey Grounded5am, how do you like that new Sonic Youth?

i like it a lot. i don't know that i like it as much as sonic nurse, but i do think a lot of the songs are really good. they're tight, concise songs.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:09 pm

sonic youth; rather ripped. don't like it much
AFX; chosen lords. pretty good
hidden cameras; awoo. after mississauga goddam i had given up on them but this is a fun record with lovely tunes
blumfeld; verbotene früchte. very good!

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:09 pm

Maarten wrote:sonic youth; rather ripped. don't like it much

Really; what is it you don't like about it? I can't comment on how it is in comparison to Sonic Nurse because I never got it, but I really like Rather Ripped. I think it's a step in the right direction. It's different than other SY, but it's good. The production is tight and it's overall a very good album.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:00 am

hebrew hammer wrote:
Really; what is it you don't like about it? I can't comment on how it is in comparison to Sonic Nurse because I never got it, but I really like Rather Ripped. I think it's a step in the right direction. It's different than other SY, but it's good. The production is tight and it's overall a very good album.

i think it's pretty bland. sure some of the melodies are nice to the ear, but even if they only meant to 'rock out' and have a bit of fun on this record like i read in interviews , there's definately no surprise in it, no tension, no real excitement, no balls. i expect more from them, it feels they haven't pushed themselves enough to make something interesting.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:51 am

do they always have to push themselves though? always reinvent so to speak.

Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Batchy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:19 pm

Kristy wrote:Joanna Newsom, The Milk-Eyed Mender.

It's really pretty. You have get used to her voice, which is very strange, baby-talk-ish and yowly. But the yowly parts are quite neat and her melodies are gorgeous.

At the same time it is a little bit twee.

Aw, i really love this album and it's just so good that i'm blinkered to any inherent tweeness. So sincere and such wonderfully colourful lyrics. Yes, Kristy, the melodies are gorgeous. Just beautiful.

I love "Peach. Plum Pear" with the harpsichord and when she hits that line "I am blue and unwell." Magic.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:07 am

well i got a batch of cd's recently. still got more to get, but the wallet needs to breath. here's the list:

dashboard confessional - dusk and summer
old 97's - hit by a train: the best of old 97's
regina spektor - begin to hope
widespread panic - earth to america
thom yorke - the eraser

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:01 am

i'll join in the fun because i can, for the first time in a while. i just got...

francis albert sinatra & antonio carlos jobim
the futureheads - news and tributes
eels - blinking lights and other revelations
architects - revenge
grandaddy - just like the fambly cat

so far i'm REALLY digging the sinatra/jobim record and the eels record, haven't heard enough of the futureheads or architects to make a call (although the architects was a bit of a letdown because i LOVED pretty much everything their previous band, the gadjits, put out) and the grandaddy record just makes me sad, but that has as much to do with the backstory as the record itself. the record is decent, but IMO the sophtware slump is still their best album by a longshot.

Return to “Rants and Raves”