New CDs = Love or maybe just like? 2006 Edition

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:10 am

prince - 3121
prince - 3121
cocteau twins - lullabies to violaine volume one
cocteau twins - lullabies to violaine volume two

all brand new releases.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:16 am

Batchy wrote:
Sunn 0)))-"Black One"
Been picking this on up in the store, looking at it, puzzling over whether i'd be into it or not, putting it back, thinking about it, reading the crazy stories about it (particularly the one about the lead singer being nailed into a coffin) and musing some more.
What's the deal with it worpswede? White noise, drone metal? Worth picking up?

Ok. Just picked this up with about 7 other titles. I am now opening/playing and reviewing the album as I type this.
The packaging: Simply the coolest thing out right now: Page one has tiny ol' English writing, and then for the next 12 pages, it's all black except for a little silver what-looks-like-a-chandelier symbol on the corner of each page. It looks heavy.
The music: Experimental ambient metal is fitting. White noise drone metal is fitting. Imagine the heaviest, slowest metal you've ever heard, add the guitar moments from Sonic Youth's "Bad Moon Rising," subtract any drums from it, occasionally throw in a guy eerily screaming through some a device that distorts his voice, drop the tuning down to a "D" and distort the shit out of everything and you'll have a good idea of how Sunn 0)))'s "Black One" sounds. At the moment you start getting bored with the sludgefest, they'll throw another creepy drone into the mix. Everything sounds like thick air and I'm sure if you played this fucker loud enough, it would ruin some speakers. And I'm sure an album like this would be great under the influence of drugs; straight people would never get this dark and imposing.
"Black One" should not find its way into most record collections and I imagine that most on this board would ask that the record be changed if it were playing. There's very little song structure to it and it does require some concentration to appreciate the subtle distorted nuances. Some may even be turned off by the morbid fascination of death splattered throughout the lyrics. That is, if you could understand them. Yes, make no bones about it: this is a heavy metal album. But Sunn 0))) have managed to create one of the most heavy and dark albums known to mankind, and they've done it in a very novel way.
Because the last song on one of the most heavy and dark albums is one of the most heavy and dark songs known to mankind. It starts with over seven minutes of low bass tones and bells, before erupting into another wash of feedback. Underneath this, a man screams. It sounds like he's in a box, with the guitar distortion piling on top of his voice like metaphoric soil.
Again, consider that you're looking at over an hour of this kind of music. It may be a long, slow death for some. Will I listen to "Black One" every day? Nope. Am I glad I picked it up? Yep. For me, I have a little satisfaction in knowing that I own possibly the heaviest album ever made.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:37 am

Harry Nilsson - A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night (1973)

This was my childhood introduction to a lot of these great standards (along with Willie Nelson's Stardust). Years later, I got into Frank and Ella and all the greats, but there's still something about Nilsson's delivery that, to me, makes his versions the definitive versions of all these songs. I know that sounds a little preposterous but it's true. Gordon Jenkins' arrangements are fucking sublime.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:57 am

the cure - three imaginary boys (single disc remastered u.s. release)

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:48 pm

Neko Case, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

She's firing on all cylinders on this one, not the least of which is poetry. She has that songwriting gift that makes songs seem as though they've existed for a long time. I've always liked what she does but often felt a bit of artifice seep through, the way it does with some Tom Waits, for example, where you feel the person's "shtick" rather than their "style." But this album is fully realized.

When is she going to hook up with David Lynch already?

Hey, how about I review an album I haven't even heard? The new Flaming Lips album contains more life-affirming songs that Coyne can just barely sing that make dodgy references to outer space adorned with blippery cyber burps and whistles and while the band still insists on dressing in goofy ass makeup and costumes to sell some "space opera" I don't recall ever being very interesting. But the drums sound totally kick ass. God, I am an ignorant bastard! Thanks for letting me vent my jackassery every now and then GloNoids.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:40 pm

I've been digging some of the CDs to come out this year (namely the Arctic Monkeys, Cat Power, Strokes), but yesterday I got the first truly excellent CD to come out this year: Ghostface Killah's Fishscale. This is easily the best CD to come out this year. Actually, I think Destroyer's Rubies is also excellent, barely behind Fishscale. I didn't think of that. But so far, I think those are the only two albums to come out that are really great, although there certainly has been a glut of good music, and the year is mighty young. I also got the Liars' Drum's Not Dead yesterday, but I haven't listened to that all the way through so I can't judge it yet, but it sounds pretty damn good. And Ringleader of the Tormentors sounds great as well, I've been listening to it on Moz's Myspace.

Has anyone gotten Tropicalia: A Brazilian Revolution In Sound yet? It sounds really good, so I think I'm gonna pick it up sometime soon. Can anyone give me some input here?

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:48 pm

morrissey - ringleader of the tormentors
the flaming lips - at war with the mystics

at war with the mystics is much better than yoshimi. really digging this. i'm actually wanting to see these songs performed live, which is odd since i don't like their live shows.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:14 pm

I'm really digging Ringleader of the Tormentors. I think it is a really strong CD. I've been listening to 'You Have Killed Me' and 'The Youngest Was the Most Loved' a lot. It's overall a very strong CD. I also got At War With The Mystics. I like this one too, but not nearly as much as anything else the Lips have done. It's not as good as Yoshimi, but it's a pretty good CD all in all. And I'm a Yoshimi apologist of sorts, I think it's pretty underrated, and I still think think it's pretty close to Yoshimi. Neither are blowing me away though.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:21 pm

i find at war with the mystics far better than yoshimi. love pompeii am gotterdammerung. the whole cd is really amazing. i was really looking forward to the new morrissey, but i'm playing the lips more though. the lips have finally roped me in.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:30 pm

Really loving the new Loose Fur. (Very different from the first one.) Finally, something that my prog rock lovin' hubby and I can agree on!

Return to “Rants and Raves”