New Releases Question

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

New Releases Question

Postby cat153 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:23 pm

Hey, I have been having diffculty finding a decent source for lists of new releases. Amazon lists thousands of cd's and is too much to wade through, billboard used to do a decent job but has fallen way off and is no longer accurate, and CMJ does a decent job but isn't completely accurate/up to date either.

Any suggestions/sources would be be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
CAT

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:30 pm

Largehearted Boy does a weekly feature every Monday called "This Week's Interesting CD & DVD Releases." He uses good judgment in what he lists.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:49 pm

Also, www.allmusic.com has everything released on a given day. Problem is, they're a little TOO comprehensive, so you'll have to slog through a lot of stuff you don't care about. Free registration required.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:23 pm

If you go to Amazon and go through and rate a bunch of albums you own, won't it start giving you recommendations based on those? You can also narrow down the genre in which you're searching if you still get too much. I think the only requirement is that you have bought something from them in the first place, which creates an account at Amazon for you.

There've been a couple times when Amazon totally kicked my ass with how good its recommendations were.

No, I'm not on their payroll.

Also, Other Music in NYC puts out a pretty good new release list with reviews every week, but it's limited to stuff they actually stock, which is basically just indie/alternative/experimental stuff. You can even sign up for their mailing list and have the new release list sent to you every week.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:29 pm

LionIndex wrote:If you go to Amazon and go through and rate a bunch of albums you own, won't it start giving you recommendations based on those? You can also narrow down the genre in which you're searching if you still get too much. I think the only requirement is that you have bought something from them in the first place, which creates an account at Amazon for you.

There've been a couple times when Amazon totally kicked my ass with how good its recommendations were.

No, I'm not on their payroll.

Yeah, Amazon is pretty good with their recommendations. I buy a fair amount from them, so they're steady with giving me new stuff. But their New Releases section leaves a little to be desired. Between Amazon and All Music, you have every tool for music research you need.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:26 am

the best place for new releases is www.pauseandplay.com

they have new releases up through july. and they even have a more upcoming releases sections which tells you of cd's being released in the future but have not set a date yet.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:02 am

Or was Cat asking for our favorite new releases?

If so,

Parts & Labor
Pink Mountaintops
Eagles of Death Metal
DFA - The Remixes Volume 1
Loose Fur - Born Again In The USA
Mystic Chords of Memory and Nobody

All great new releases! You may not like them but I fucking love every one of them.

hausofjl
GLONO Board Playa

Postby hausofjl » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:43 am

Proptronics wrote:Or was Cat asking for our favorite new releases?

If so,

Parts & Labor
Pink Mountaintops
Eagles of Death Metal
DFA - The Remixes Volume 1
Loose Fur - Born Again In The USA
Mystic Chords of Memory and Nobody

All great new releases! You may not like them but I fucking love every one of them.

How do you get the title of whiny noisy complainer? and new DFA, fuck yeah.

i agree with the allmusic assessment. as much as i like drudging through 3 pages of new releases each week to see a handful who are interesting, its gets rather tedious. their bios and discos rock though and apparently everyone on the web agrees as they seem to pop up everywhere. good work, mr. loftus.

i guess no one really wants to take the time to go their local indie and the omnipresent dry erase board anymore. <sigh> and not to state the obvious, but ITUNES has a great list of new and pre releases.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:58 am

hausofjl wrote:How do you get the title of whiny noisy complainer?

I have no recollection of this. Does anybody remember?

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:38 am

No, I was asking for good sources of new release lists. The ones I use or used to rely upon are now either far too lengthy or horribly incomplete. Thanks for the suggestions...beyond amazon i hadn't heard of a lot of these. Very helpful...

CAT

Return to “Rants and Raves”