fuel for the rumor mill - Pumpkins to reunite!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:27 am

Love, love, love Siamese Dream... that said, man the Future Embrace was the worst fucking album I listened to in its entirety in a long, long time.

I went and saw the Djali Zwan before they were Zwan even and thought they were killer. Lots of acoustic guitars and fun, then the album came out and it was Corgan's guitar and voice pummelling the shit out of everyone else playing.

Seriously, the guy has been one continuous letdown to me after Adore came out. I didn't really dig that one but at least there were some decent songs on it.

Here's the other kicker, what the fuck is up with people that stick by Corgan no matter what? Really, is he that amazing that you'll forgive everything? There's more Corgan devoted followers than any other artist I can think of. People that are crazy for Dylan still know that he's put out some shit albums.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:47 am

Proptronics wrote:Here's the other kicker, what the fuck is up with people that stick by Corgan no matter what? Really, is he that amazing that you'll forgive everything? There's more Corgan devoted followers than any other artist I can think of. People that are crazy for Dylan still know that he's put out some shit albums.

Seek you out some hardcore Deadheads. Those folks are constitutionally incapable of a reasoned opinion or negative syllable about Captain Trips and the band in general. Sorry, but there are lots of shows where you can plainly hear that Jerry is on the nod and it drags down the whole band, not to mention the fact that Mickey Hart is, for reasons I can't quite define, one of the more annoying figures in rock. I've got a great story about a friend harshing a Deadheads mellow once upon a time. Buy me a whiskey some time and we'll luxuriate in the telling.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:28 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:
Proptronics wrote:Here's the other kicker, what the fuck is up with people that stick by Corgan no matter what? Really, is he that amazing that you'll forgive everything? There's more Corgan devoted followers than any other artist I can think of. People that are crazy for Dylan still know that he's put out some shit albums.

Seek you out some hardcore Deadheads. Those folks are constitutionally incapable of a reasoned opinion or negative syllable about Captain Trips and the band in general. Sorry, but there are lots of shows where you can plainly hear that Jerry is on the nod and it drags down the whole band, not to mention the fact that Mickey Hart is, for reasons I can't quite define, one of the more annoying figures in rock. I've got a great story about a friend harshing a Deadheads mellow once upon a time. Buy me a whiskey some time and we'll luxuriate in the telling.

Hey, If I'm the token Pumpkinhead here, let me say clearly that I don't love everything Billy's done. As I acknowledged in this (or another?) thread, their last two albums were very spotty indeed, with the last decent one being Adore. Corgan's solo album is another mixed bag. But the Zwan record I will defend to the end -- even if the band's dynamics were very off-kilter.
As for Mellon Collie, DJMurph, the reason that album doesn't do it for me is that it feels like an extroverted record rather than an introverted record like all other Pumpkins. It stands out like a sore thumb in that regard. I can intellectualize that there are some great songs and great vision on there, but emotionally it doesn't sieze me the same way much of Corgan's writing does.
Last edited by n8 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:44 pm

i'm not even a smahshing pumpkins/corgan fan and i really dug thefutureembrace. i didn't think it was going to get him into the hall of fame, but i thought it was a real winner. a throwback nod to a lot of the music and musicians that were making music in the same scene as corgan but long before he came around.

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby redfieldp » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:26 pm

Even though it's much maligned, I actually really liked Zwan. There's some cool genre switching on there, and a load of really good power pop songs. I'd say at least half the stuff on the album has significant staying power with me.

michaelvincent
GLONO Board Playa

Postby michaelvincent » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:30 pm

I loved the Zwan album, and this is from someone who never liked the Smashing Pumpkins. Zwan to me was the Pumpkins minus all the arty pretentiousness and plus some surprisingly good pop hooks.

Of course Corgan still managed to ruin that album just a little by hiring some really good musicians to be in the band then mixing them right off the album. The whole thing is just voice, raging Corgan guitars and drums and the occasional twiddly guitar bit from one of the other guys popping out now and again.

I read an interview with Dave Pajo, who took a rather negative view of the whole thing. Something to the effect of having to ditch a lot of really cool, out of left field stuff for the poppier stuff on the album because Corgan felt it would be a better business move for the group. Sad really, they had a lot of potential.

Return to “Rants and Raves”