What Every GloNo Poster Should Own... And Why

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

What Every GloNo Poster Should Own... And Why

Postby n8 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:33 pm

Hello friends, I am back to resurrect this thread. The lime-peel helmeted cat is gone, but he is only resting. He's still around somewhere. In the meantime, I'm listening to an old mix tape I made in the 8th grade.

So I went through this thread and compiled all of our responses to about two thirds of the albums on the list. However, about a third didn't receive any direct comments, and I want to rectify that so that we can have a complete list with commentary. So far, it's a really entertaining and interesting thing to read through, so I'm excited to finish up this final step.

What we should do now is respond to the albums on this list as if we were writing a post justifying their existence on the list. It should be informal, in your own voice, and basically exuding some sort of experience with or excitement for or general liking for the record. If someone argued that that CD should be off the list, how would you respond? Or, if you suggested the album initially, then WHY?

Let me put it this way: if you don't speak up to defend these CDs, and give us all a good reason to keep them, they'll get cut from the list.

Obviously you should only pick the ones you're familiar with, and don't be a hog and respond to every single album. But repeats are definitely okay, if you feel you have something new to add. As people respond, I'll be crossing the albums off the below list until all are accounted for. Then we'll have not just a kickin' list, but great commentary on each record from true grassroots music lovers (and not just music critics!).

Thanks everyone! Have at it... don't be polite, and LET'S GET SLOPPY!

Bad Brains - Bad brains
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Beatles - Revolver
Beatles - Rubber Soul
Beatles - White Album
Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Bowie, David - Low
Bowie, David - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
Can - Ege Bamyasi
Cash, Johnny - At Folsom Prison
Cave, Nick - Henry's Dream
Cooper, Alice - Killer
Davis, Miles - Kind of Blue
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men
Dinosaur Jr. - You're living all over me
Dylan, Bob - Blonde on Blonde
Feelies - Crazy Rhythms
Gaye, Marvin - What's Goin' On
Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand
Husker Du - Zen arcade
Jackson, Joe - I'm The Man
Jam - All Mod Cons
Love - Forever Changes
Massive Attack - Blue lines
MC5 - Kick Out The Jams
Minor Threat - Complete Discography
Minutemen - Double Nickels On The Dime
Misfits - Walk among us
Mission of Burma - Signals, Calls & Marches
Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
Morphine - Cure for pain
Motorhead - No Remorse
My Morning Jacket - At Dawn
Nirvana - Nevermind
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
Phair, Liz - Exile In Guyville
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace
Pretenders - Pretenders
Prince - 1999
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to hold us back
Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Simon, Paul - Graceland
Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Going On
Smith, Patti - Horses
Social Distortion - White Light, White Heat
Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight
T. Rex - Electric Warrior
Talking Heads - Remain in Light
The The - Mind Bomb
They Might Be Giants - Flood
Velvet Underground - Loaded
Velvet Underground - Nico
White Stripes - White Blood Cells
Who - Quadrophenia
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
X - Under the big black sun
XTC - Black Sea
Last edited by n8 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 pm

I'll start:

Television's Marquee Moon - Besides being an important band that played at CBGB's and all that, Television were doing some extremely innovative stuff with guitars in the mid-70s -- in many ways, outdoing Velvet Undeground. MM, their debut, became an extremely influential and progressive album in the midst of the New York punk scene. But fuck all that, because it's also one of my favorite rock albums of all time to actually sit down and listen to. That's a killer combo. If you love guitars, you MUST hear this album.

U2 - The Joshua Tree - Pretty much the only U2 record I'll ever listen to again. Sad to think how many modern U2 fans have probably never heard this one.
Last edited by n8 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:31 pm

I split this off from the original topic so we (hopefully) won't get all caught up in adding/deleting albums from the full list.

Funkadelic - Standing on the Verge of Getting It On
The ultimate funk album. One listen to Standing on the Verge will prove what really distinguishes funk from disco or any other "dance" music. While most of the tracks are straight-ahead, balls-out rockers, "I'll Stay" is a highlight for its slow-burn, stoney groove, and "Sexy Ways" is a poppy, funked-up response to the Temptations' "I Can't Get Next To You." If you love mind-melting, psychedelic guitar, you've got to listen to this album. Preferably with a head full of acid.

SlangKing
MOJO Freak

Postby SlangKing » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:50 pm

Here's two that i nominated in the previous thread:

The Fall- This Nation's Saving Grace

The Fall's triumphant string of early to mid 80s albums peaks with this offering. Mark E. Smith rants about his new house and spolit, Victorian children. The Fall's jerky repetitive rockabilly/punk riffs are still in place, but Brix Smith's pushing of the band towards more melodic pastures starts to pay big dividends- this is the Fall getting accessible, without losing their scathing fury.

Wire- Pink Flag

Wire's first album blasts 21 songs by in under 36 minutes. Only three break the 3 minute mark and those feel epic in length. If punk was supposed to be the most basic of aspects of rock'n'roll, Pink Flag is an artsy attempt at breaking rock down to the barest minimum necessary. If this all sounds a bit academic, the good news is the record does not play that way. It careens past you with a real ferocity. The more you listen to it, the more you come to marvel at the scope- these aren't just a bunch of speeded-up punk bashers (although there are a few of those). Wire also tackles bizarro psychadelia on "Strange", Stones-type riffage on "Fragile" and post-punk choppiness on "Three Girl Rhumba". Anybody who has ever marveled at the kaleidoscope of lofi goodies that GbV released with Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes, should take note- this is the grandaddy of them all.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:48 pm

two things i'd like to add:

1) i invite anyone and everyone to respond

2) it doesn't need to be an authoritative review or evaluation. it can also be a one-sentence quip or personal reaction, or anything in between.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:12 pm

Before I start on all the "blah, blah, important and unique" b.s., let me preface all these albums by saying they are essential mostly just because they are really fucking good.

Now, on with the b.s.:

Cohen, Leonard - Songs of Leonard Cohen
You could argue almost any Leonard Cohen album being essential. Classic morose poetry, imitated so much that you almost lose sight of how amazing it really is. The only poetry I can stand is Cohen's. Of all the post-hippie dino rock my dad tried to turn me onto, I am forever in his debt for having the good sense to make me listen to Leonard Cohen.

Cure - Disintegration
Same reason as the above album, really. Some could say it's just a collection of melodramatic love songs, but it's been imitated so much that it's pretty easy to forget how well it stands by itself, and even without all the great elaborate orchestral background to it, it's still a great bunch of pop songs. Listen to "Lovesong" or the title song and tell me I'm wrong.

Jesus & Mary Chain - Psycho Candy- because like Loveless (which with all due respect n8, you curiously omitted from the list), the first time you listen to it, you've never heard anything like it before, and you probably never will again. As much as I love BRMC, guys, you don't even come close.

New Order - Power, Corruption, and Lies- in the context of the demise of Joy Division, for the remaining members to surface with something like this, no one could have expected it. It gives it such a bittersweet quality to the synthpop sound, like there's something a lot darker beneath all the poppiness. So much of 80s pop music was a lot darker than the dancey, synthy music let on, and this album showed New Order to be the vanguards of that whole style of music.

Pixies - Doolittle- Again, because it was so unique. Aside from the spastic vocals, bizarre lyrics, and completely ADD music, it's still a fucking solid bunch of rock songs that you can sing along to and sounds really great loud. That album alone brought the art of the pop song to a whole new level.

Radiohead - OK Computer- I know it's cliched, but really, the best point of reference to someone not in that generation would be Dark Side of the Moon. There's just so many layers of music to let your ears dig in to, but not in a way that you have to listen to it a bunch of times to get it. It sounds amazing from the first listen. And the way all the almost schizophrenic music acts as a perfect complement to all these songs about isolation and detachment from society, done in such a way as to not be cliched at all, it really is brilliant. True art as far as I'm concerned is supposed to elicit some kind of emotional response, whether it's ectasy or anxiety or anger, or something, and really few musicians or composers have managed to do that effectively. But this album manages to be unnerving and depressing and totally beautiful all at the same time.

Smiths - The Queen Is Dead - because it (and most of the Smiths catalog) showed that rock or punk music didn't have to be a bunch of machismo and wailing guitars. With "The Queen is Dead" they wrote their own version of "God Save the Queen" and in the process made the Sex Pistols look like a bunch of talentless neanderthals. So many bands owe their existence to the Smiths for breaking those barriers to rock music. Plus, "There is a Light" is probably one of the most amazing love songs ever written. Only Morrissey could get away with that kind of cynicism and still make it sounds heartfelt and genuine.

U2 - Joshua Tree- although much of the credit probably goes to Daniel Lanois for this album, it showed just how great U2 could be- and unfortunately how far they had to fall. Listen to this album and then listen to Pop and I swear you'll be weeping by the end at the injustice of it all.

hausofjl
GLONO Board Playa

Postby hausofjl » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:43 am

I'll be quick here but

Neutral Milk Hotel- In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

I only recently picked this up, but it TOOK OVER my iTunes for months on end. It's a damn shame that Mangum has really put out more stuff, but it would be IMPOSSIBLE to top this CD. Perfectly paced with tempo changes and more instruments than I can even recognize. The only problem I have is that I have to listen to the entire thing, this isn't a singles CD or a casual listening. Holland, 1945 is the perfect pop song in my estimation and I have to jump everytime that break comes in King of Carrot Flowers 2 & 3. If this Cd doesn't move you, you don't have a pulse. Genius

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:10 am

steve-o wrote:

Jesus & Mary Chain - Psycho Candy- because like Loveless (which with all due respect n8, you curiously omitted from the list), the first time you listen to it, you've never heard anything like it before, and you probably never will again.

actually Loveless is of course on the list. It's just no reproduced here because it already had some commentary for it, from a number of people. No way that one could be left off.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:37 am

I'll play.
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds: Both as a testament to what could be accomplished in a recording studio circa 1966 and a testament to the power and majesty of the human voice when blended in unison, Pet Sounds pretty much stands alone (insert Beatles arguments here). In the right mood, there are moments on this album that move me to tears for the sheer beauty of the harmonies. That songs like "God Only Knows," "Caroline No" and "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" perfectly ecapsulate what Brian Wilson must have met when he talked about "teenage symphonies to God" is frosting on the beater, baby. Expertly produced and beautifully sung, everyone should hear this album at least once. If that doesn't make you wanna buy it, I have concerns about the state of your soul.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:12 am

guns n' roses - appetite for destruction
from the opening scratches of "welcome to the jungle," it's clear, neither the old rules nor the new ones apply. it's a freight train of nihilism at full speed constantly teetering on the brink of derailing but never giving way. owing as much to classic punk rock as the los angeles glam scene they rose up from, i would posit it was guns n' roses, not nirvana, that signaled the death knell for the shiny pop-metal that dominated much of the 80s rock airwaves. this was the fulfillment of every promise ever made by motley crüe, poison, et al. and its simultaneous destruction. many, including members of the band and the band itself would attempt to duplicate the reckless abandon that seems so effortless here, but all were doomed to failure. this is the sound of cocky l.a. street rats who had nothing to lose, too drunk and/or high to keep themselves in check. sometimes i wonder just when they realized that they were accidentally making one of the greatest rock n' roll records ever. how do you recreate something like that? obviously, you don't.

Return to “Rants and Raves”