What Every GloNo Poster Should Own... And Why

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:32 am

Come on people, I know you have opinions to add.

Seriously, you can drop a one-liner if you like. Don't use capitalization, or correct spelling. Don't reference years, or track names. Don't know a damn thing about the artist. I don't care. Just write as you would normally post - on a whim, in a rush, at work, at home, bored, excited, whatever.

If you have a passion for any of the records listed below, let us know. What does it mean to you? What did it once mean to you? What does it make you think of? Why is it essential? Why should everyone own it?

Also, I think personal anecdotes are best, if you have any. Those are the most interesting to read.

If you don't respond, these albums will get dropped from our list. If you do respond, it will be included as commentary in a really cool project we are putting together that will list all of the GloriousNoise essential discs, and will have commentary from all the excellent people and lovers of excellent music that helped put the list together.

Bad Brains - Bad brains
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Beatles - Revolver
Beatles - Rubber Soul
Beatles - White Album
Bowie, David - Low
Bowie, David - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Can - Ege Bamyasi
Cash, Johnny - At Folsom Prison
Cave, Nick - Henry's Dream
Cooper, Alice - Killer
Davis, Miles - Kind of Blue
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men
Dinosaur Jr. - You're living all over me
Dylan, Bob - Blonde on Blonde
Feelies - Crazy Rhythms
Husker Du - Zen arcade
Jam - All Mod Cons
Love - Forever Changes
Massive Attack - Blue lines
MC5 - Kick Out The Jams
Minor Threat - Complete Discography
Minutemen - Double Nickels On The Dime
Misfits - Walk among us
Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
Morphine - Cure for pain
Motorhead - No Remorse
My Morning Jacket - At Dawn
Nirvana - Nevermind
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace
Pretenders - Pretenders
Prince - 1999
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to hold us back
Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet
Simon, Paul - Graceland
Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Going On
Smith, Patti - Horses
Social Distortion - White Light, White Heat
Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight
T. Rex - Electric Warrior
Talking Heads - Remain in Light
The The - Mind Bomb
They Might Be Giants - Flood
Velvet Underground - Loaded
Velvet Underground - Nico
White Stripes - White Blood Cells
Who - Quadrophenia
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
X - Under the big black sun
XTC - Black Sea
Last edited by n8 on Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:19 am

Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Listening to this record again, I'm struck with all of the reasons not to like it, it's too derivative of Simon & Garfunkel and Nick Drake, it's too cute, too impossibly fey, it quite possibly the reason the term "twee pop" was invented. And yet, somehow it overcomes it all. How? Why? Well first, the songs. The songwriting on If You're Feeling Sinister is close to downright perfect. From the loping gait of the title track and "Like Dylan in the Movies" to the heartbreaking soft folk of "The Stars of Track and Field" and "Judy and the Dream of Horses," you just can't deny that this is an exquisitely crafted song set that stands equally strong individually as it does as a cohesive whole. Furthermore, you can't very well fault something for being too cute when it's as genuine as it comes off here. It's sort of like the girl/boy you just didn't want to like because they seemed so perfect in every way, so pretty, so personable... and when you ultimately realized they really were that amazing, you were head over heels in love. Belle and Sebastian would go on to make some great records after this one, but never again would they fire on all cylinders the way they do on If You're Feeling Sinister and, try as you may to deny it, it really is that amazing.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:03 am

Rolling Stones- Exile on Main Street

Well there's so much said about this album that I really hate to rehash it all. However, I will say that I discovered this album very young...around 12 years old. When I first listened to music, it was Prince, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles (blue and red GH albums) and a few others. My uncle gave me Exile and I hated it b/c I had really only listened to their greatest hits. Several years and a bunch of different music I came back to it b/c I read an article in Rolling Stone that listed it as the greatest record of all time. There was no looking back after that...i relistened and everything came rushing forward...the rock, the blues, the soul, gospel, the fury, humor...it's all there.

I will also say that I was reading an article in some magazine or other years ago and Paul Westerberg was being interviewed. He was asked a question about what he thought would be an ideal sound for the Mats b/c they had changed so much over the years...and his reply was Exile on Mainstreet would be his ideal. If it's good enough for him...

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:20 am

Well, n8, since you put it that way that those albums are gonna get cut just because we the posters are too damn lazy to give our two cents? Kinda puts a little urgency into the process. Let me chime in with some ceedees thats gots ta make tha list...

Joe Jackson - I'm The Man
Coming off the breakout success of Look Sharp!, anyone could expect a sophomore slump. But Joe defies the prediction of slumpsville, and whacks another one out of the park. The sound isn't light years away from its predecessor, but here that's a good thing. If anything, the songs are more confident, the arrangements tauter. Still present are the bitterness and cynicism, but also happiness, clever lyrics, catchy-as-hell melodies, and energy that can't be denied.

More reviews to come, but I gotta get back to work... n8, if you dare take anymore off that list until I get a chance to respond, I will send you a CD with Barry Manilow singing everyone else's songs BADLY!!!!!! And you all thought Rod Stewart's "standards" CDs were horrible...

hannahsmom
GLONO Board Playa

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:03 pm

YES I love Joe Jackson! Thanks for reminding me. Hey how about XTC, "Generals and Majors"? That was a great albumn! More good ones:

Elvis Costello - Get Happy!!
Elvis Costello - New Amsterdam
Joe Jackson - Beat Crazy
Joe Jackson - The Harder They Come
Madness - Absolutely
Madness - Work Rest & Play
The Specials - More Specials
Squeeze - Argybargy

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:21 pm

hannahsmom wrote:YES I love Joe Jackson! Thanks for reminding me. Hey how about XTC, "Generals and Majors"? That was a great albumn! More good ones:

Elvis Costello - Get Happy!!
Elvis Costello - New Amsterdam
Joe Jackson - Beat Crazy
Joe Jackson - The Harder They Come
Madness - Absolutely
Madness - Work Rest & Play
The Specials - More Specials
Squeeze - Argybargy

Hi Hannahsmom,
We've already compiled a list of albums. It took a lot of time and a lot of work and a lot of different opinions, but we did it. Now we want to compile commentary from GloNoids on why they're on the list in the first place. So if you want to contribute, please see the list that I just posted, select a couple that you're familiar with, and tell us why you like them and why they're essential.
short personal anecdotes or reactions related to the records are best, if you have any to share.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:27 pm

liz phair - exile in guyville

this album was proof that you didn't need the majors to break into the music scene in a fairly big way. this album also shows all that was cool within the college rock scene. here was a woman who was daring and bold enough to talk in a very open and frank coversational way. she didn't hold any punches. she was relenting. she also couldn't sing that well. but we didn't care. here was an avergae type person speaking/singing for those who couldn't. the production is minimalist yet bright and crisp. it was pop in liz's own distorted/perverted way. her words had a way of cutting right through the bullshit and grabbing you. stopping you right in your tracks. some of the highlights are 6'1, canary, and never said.

she was like your best friend or an old lover. one you were real comfortable with and knew all too well. she made music because she wanted to make music. she was the kind of woman you admired and the kind of woman you'd want in bed. with this record she took a big stab at the industry and the indie scene. she came out on top. the whole album was smooth from start to finish and nary a bad song. the play on words and sexual frankness gave the album a breath of fresh air. brad wood adds just the right touches where and when needed. he didn't smother liz or her personality, but rather gave her the means to be heard. the produciton was clean and sharp but it was still all liz.

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:18 am

All right, I'll take these on as I am a huge Pink Floyd fan.

Pink Floyd - Meddle
This is by far my favorite Pink Floyd album. From the opening psychosis of One of these days "I'm going to cut you into little pieces" to the thundering glissando of Echoes, The Floyd really bring it home on this record. The bluesy sojourn Seamus (repleat with howling dog) is weird and kind of a nice break from the seriousness of the rest of the album. The only place it gets a little much is the long section in the middle of Echoes with all the feedback and loops. But, in the end, they bring the song back into focus and this album leaves you haunted, wanting more. "So I throw the windows wide and call to you across the sky..."

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
What can really be said about this record? Blistering guitar leads, blissed out electronica (in 1973!), screeching banshees straight out of Solid Gold, mystic pub goers and a healthy dose of RAWK. So many of these songs are still in heavy rotation on Classic Rock radio that it's hard to find anything new to say. Just go out and get it if you don't already have it. Schmuck. "There is no dark side of the moon. Really, it's all dark."
Last edited by O! on Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeaArthur5-49
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BeaArthur5-49 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:38 pm

The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady

It was hard to be a young suburban punker. Sure, the loud guitars sounded way more exciting than anything by Steve Miller or Journey. Yeah, the antisocial lyrics were perfect for making your mom worry. C’mon, doesn’t it feel great to listen to something only 2 or 3 other people in your high school have even heard of? But let’s be honest: punk rock just never quite fit right. The Clash were gods, but what the hell were they talking about, anyway? Unemployment? The dole? (Confession time: I’ve owned their first record for more than 20 years and I STILL have no idea who Janie Jones is.) Home in America, the Ramones were no easier – I wasn’t living on “Chinese Rock”, and I couldn’t have found “53rd & 3rd” if you dropped me off at 52nd & 2nd with a map. But “Sneaking in the backdoor with dirty magazines/now your mama wants to know what are those stains on your jeans” were lyrics I could relate to. Those guys were singing about MY 15-year-old life in the suburbs. The Buzzcocks were punk’s perfect gateway drug: up-tempo buzzsaw guitars, melodies and hooks as sweet as anything by the Monkees, and songs an American kid could dig. Singles Going Steady was a chronicle of romantic and sexual frustration: “I just want a lover like any other/What do I get?” “Oh shit I though you and I were friends/Oh shit I guess this is where our love ends.” “Ever fallen in love with someone you shouldn’ta fallen in love with?” “Orgasm Addict” was titillating in a Cinemax kinda way, “Autonomy” had the kick-ass “chug-chug-chug” guitar riff, and “Harmony in my Head” ripped it up and lodged in your cranium just like promised. No more fake fury, impenetrable lyrics, or gross-out spitting; just shining pop wrapped in furious production.

Mission of Burma – Signals, Calls & Marches

Mission of Burma weren’t like you and me. They came at it from a totally new angle. They weren’t as much a rock band as they were abstract artists. Their songs took strange, unpredictable turns and they could be alternately melodic and jarring – sometimes simultaneously. On “That’s When I Reach for my Revolver,” their almost hit, there’s no guitar solo – it’s done by the bass. “Outlaw” feels like it’s shaking your skull, “Fame and Fortune” is strangely punk yet not punk, “This is not a Photograph” is closer to punk but without the mundane lyrics, and a screechy, boing-boing guitar break, “Red” has got a weird improve part where the solo oughta be and “All World Cowboy Romance” is a jam from outer space. There wasn’t anything like it at the time, and as far as I can tell, there still ain’t.
Last edited by BeaArthur5-49 on Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:16 pm

Hey, thanks everyone who's written so far.

But really, these don't need to be reviews. In fact, they shouldn't be. More ideal would be a shooting-from-the-hip, knee-jerk reaction.

If I say Pet Sounds, what do you say? If I say Nirvana sucks, what do you say?

The point is this: we're not journalists (or even if you are, turn off your thinking cap). At GloNo, we're fans first and foremost. But also very knowledgeable fans.

Fans talk differently than journalists. We want to hear how fans - smart fans, who know how to compile a list of essential records - feel about the records they've chosen.

Also, the shorter the better. We're gonna compile these into a massive GloNo essential records list, so the shorter, more readable ones are going to be the most interesting.

Some examples from the original thread:

AC/DC - Highway to Hell

Jake
And doesn't everybody agree that AC/DC's Back in Black is like Led Zeppelin IV? There are better AC/DC albums. Like Highway to Hell, for example.

worpswede
"Back In Black" is probably the definitive classic and it has sold more copies. But if I'm forced to take it down to one album, I gotta go with the Bon Scott era.

jaimoe0
The Bon Scott years absolutely need to be represented

Band - Music From Big Pink

Dreamin
Even if you don't like The Band, it's ridiculous to cut Music From Big Pink and their s/t "brown album". Everyone from Elvis Costello to Jeff Tweedy cites them as a major influence. The Band got Dylan to rock out and helped him grow as a live performer (they were the journeymen and he was the apprentice). They also inspired the break-up of Cream (that alone should get them a spot on the "essential" list).

Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Jake
I think it's either gotta be Gilded Palace or Sweetheart of the Rodeo, not both, and I'm leaning toward Sweetheart. As much as I love Gram Parsons, Sweetheart is a way more solid album than any of his solo/Burritos/etc stuff.

Josh B.
I will vote for Sweetheart of the Rodeo as the more essential album. I agree that it's a more solid and concise record, even without Gram vocals.

Return to “Rants and Raves”