Debbie Harry at the hall of fame awards.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

hannahsmom
GLONO Board Playa

Debbie Harry at the hall of fame awards.

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:26 pm

What was the deal with Debbie Harry at the Hall of Fame awards when she told the musician (I don't know who he was) that he couldn't play in the band that night and, he said something about the whole band being inducted not just her. I couldn't tell if that was a joke or they were really arguing. It was a little awkward....

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:56 pm

Guess there's an ongoing fued. It was sad and uncomfortable to watch.

Not to add to the whining, but couldja maybe try and sing it like the original Debbie, just for old times sake?

hannahsmom
GLONO Board Playa

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:20 pm

That was so uncool of Debbie. She made herself look like a bitchey brat. My love of her music just turned to stone.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:09 pm

"When Blondie, the most commercially successful band to emerge from a fertile New York rock scene that also produced Talking Heads and the Ramones, reformed after 15 years, they didn't include former members Frank Infante and Nigel Harrison. They sued unsuccessfully to join."
why werent they allowed to join back then?thast what I wanna know

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:42 pm

Chris Stein's blog sheds a little light.
if those guys really had wanted to play with us the first thing they might have done was to call one of us and ask... of course this never happened... do you know what did happen?
a person from our managment pulled me aside and said:
"you're not gonna believe this..."
"what?" i said
"...the old guys from the band?"
"yeah..."
"they called and said that they have a girl singer and a lawyer and they want to play blondie songs..."
"yeah so? thats weird but fine with me." i said
"WAIT WAIT! they called the hall of fame and said they wanted to do it on the show... the people from the show went ballistic!"
so this conversation really took place... i dont know if any of it is true or not or much care... but i really mean it that if one of them had tried to speak to me in person... well i dont know what i would have thought even then but i certainly wouldnt have been mean to them or told them to piss off... debbie said the same thing... any of you who are pissing and whining about us playing without nigel gary or frank, just get this through your heads: none of them ever asked any of us if they could play with us at the event! that would have had to have happened as a first step...

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:51 pm

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

from 1999
http://www.salon.com/ent/music/feature/1999/03/03sidebar.html
Infante and Harrison assert that the Blondie that recorded "Plastic Letters," "Parallel Lines," "Eat to the Beat," "Autoamerican" and "The Hunter" was the only incarnation that can represent itself as Blondie, and thus they are entitled to concert and merchandise royalties from the current lineup, as per the band's internal incorporation agreement signed in May 1979. The reconstituted Blondie assert that none of the reunion spoils are covered under the agreement. (The band is incorporated as Blondie Music Inc.; Harrison and Infante hold a 20 percent stake.) The four working members of the group assert (according to Infante) that Harrison and Infante have no claim to the new monies because they weren't part of the "original Blondie" that debuted in New York in 1974. (Harrison joined in late 1978; Infante, earlier that year.) And so the litigation wars begin.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:46 pm

Nice find, Train. The reasons those guys were originally fired back in the day, according to that article, remain unclear:

Infante was fired by the group in 1982 and never got an explanation for his dismissal, according to the lawsuit he filed later that year against the band.

So Infante first sued them back in 1982. That would explain the bad blood when Stein and Harry reunited Blondie in 1998. No real explanation for ditching Harrison though... Unless, maybe he sucked.

Return to “Rants and Raves”