Underrated bands

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:53 pm

steve-o wrote:I know its out of print, but if you can find a copy of Acadie, do yourself a favor and buy it.

Second this one.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:16 pm

Pailface

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:11 pm

cub

I finally managed to get my paws on Betti-Cola at Amoeba when I was visiting San Francisco last month. I can't stop listening to this mix:

My Chinchilla
Cast A Shadow
The Day We Met
Surfer Girl
Leapfrog
Everything's Geometry
My Flaming Red Bobsled
Tomorrow Go Away
New York City
Voracious
So Far Apart
Vacation
Pillow Queen
Magic 8 Ball
Loaded
Main And Broadway
One Last Kiss

rnolan66
GLONO Board Playa

underrated bands

Postby rnolan66 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:05 pm

NRBQ! It's a tired cliche to even say it anymore, but so many people still don't get it. "Aren't they a blooooze band?" they always say. NO! and yes...sometimes. Mostly they are just pure, genius pop songcrafters. The other tired cliche is people still mentioning the loss of Big Al Anderson. I got news for ya...in many ways the current version of the band with Johnny Spampinato on guitar is the best ever. It's a bitch to collect their stuff at this point because so much of it has gone out of print, but it's worth the effort. After 35 years they are still doing it with remarkable consistancy. Look for copies of Peek-a-Boo, NRBQ, Scraps, At Yankee Stadium, Kick Me Hard, Grooves In Orbit...even the recent Atsa My Band and Dummy are really solid pop records.

Bob

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Heitzie » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:39 am

Last time we had a thread like this I listed the Furs. I was a dumbass and forgot to putthem on my list this time, so make that 3 votes for Richard Butler & co.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:56 am

i'll 4th the furs and second squeeze... and as wacky as it may sound, i'll throw fugazi in there... their outstanding music is often overshadowed by their bushido like ethics and that's a shame...

oh, and bedhead... and disco inferno...

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:18 am

Fatih No More doesn't get near the credit they deserve IMO

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:30 pm

steve-o wrote:And Mark Kozelek deserves a mention as well.

Good catch, steve-o. I wasn't a big fan of Red House Painters, but Ghosts of the Great Highway by Kozelek's current band, Sun Kil Moon, is absolutely phenomenal.

I know Cake has been written off here as a nerd band, but has anyone heard Pressure Chief?

Return to “Rants and Raves”