RE: The relevance of R.E.M.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:41 am

hebrew hammer wrote:
We're tired of hearing about your goddamn grizzly lovin' son. Stop bitching, pussy. Good grieving music, though.

hah, i just have to say, the captain obvious tag is hilarious. sorry for pinning that on you if you hate it; you're welcome if you like it. :)

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:00 pm

amighty wrote:So this seems pretty topical.... look what rbally just posted:

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID ... 1761103844

it's a full appearance on WLIR from 1984 in.mp3

I'm still downloading it so I can't vouch for the audio quality, but if it's half of what it should be it'll give you under 30's a taste of what REM embodied back then. WLIR was the best station in New York for alternative music, an indellible part of youth culture in the 80's, and kinda rocking.

AWWWWWEsome!!!!
Thanks for postin'!!!

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:03 pm

Love it. I kinda wish you had called me "Capitan Obvio," though, cause spanish is fucking awesome. But then I'd need a mustache and an accent. Whatever.

Fester Von Zesterberg
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Fester Von Zesterberg » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:12 pm

hebrew hammer wrote:
We're tired of hearing about your goddamn grizzly lovin' son. Stop bitching, pussy. Good grieving music, though.

My son was eaten by a grizzly.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:15 pm

Fester Von Zesterberg wrote:
My son was eaten by a grizzly.

Yeah, have some respect Hebrew Hammer! Jesus!

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:40 pm

I respect no one but myself and Chuck Norris.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:13 pm

my son was eaten by a ferel cat. you don't see me crying over the spilt the milk. no, the cat ate that too.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:07 pm

Re. REM: Discovered them via "Late Night" a short time before Reckoning came out. They played "So. Central Rain," but they claimed as they introduced it that it was so new, they hadn't named it yet. Got Reckoning as soon as it came out and then went back and got Murmur. My metal-loving stoner friends were completely perplexed. They even could understand the Jam and ska thing easier than they could grasp REM. Must have been the lack of guitar solos. Anyhoo, they could do no wrong for me through Document. Green was a little iffy for me, but still had some wonderful songs, and I enjoyed Out of Time, Monster and Adventures just fine, but they are a band that has been around for a long time and I think, like with most bands, they are just running out of interesting ideas. They still manage fine songs and performances on pretty much every album, but my reaction is always "So what?" For me, it's a combination of me having moved on to a ton of other bands and the creative well getting shallower and shallower for the band. It happens. They'll always be a favorite though, and those first five albums, though I consider Fables to be pretty spotty and the first chink in their armor, are fucking monsters.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:21 pm

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:32 pm

Which is why I'm letting the subscription to R.S. die. The wife kept renewing it, stating "But you always read it, so I kept renewing it when it came due. I thought you liked it!"
I like cocaine too. I prefer not to do it because, if you leave an 8-ball at my house, there's a good possibility that I will eventually run to McDonalds and bring back a straw.
R.E.M.'s wonderful label seems to be hurting them at this point; these reviews point to lazy journalism and to a reliance on making sure Warners is happy with the magazine's editorial content. I believe G5A when he says he likes the new one. I don't believe R.S., which sucks because I traditionally agree with Fricke on a lot of his reviews.
I don't know if I'd be able to respect R.E.M. at this point, even if they started releasing their own shit.

Return to “Rants and Raves”