RE: The relevance of R.E.M.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:47 pm

I haven't heard a note off this damn thing, yet, but Mojo and Rolling Stone are making me think I should check it out. Can't hurt to listen, right? Oh, I forgot about Matchbox Twenty... I guess it can hurt to listen sometimes.

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:37 am

jaimoe0 wrote:I haven't heard a note off this damn thing, yet, but Mojo and Rolling Stone are making me think I should check it out. Can't hurt to listen, right?

I picked it up and I like it....well most of it. It has a few great songs on it and the opening song sounds like a throwback to the old REM.

Overall I would say its much better than the past two albums. I would compare it to Monster if there's an album to compare it to.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:48 am

thanks for the compliment worps. i echo the sentiment of tim but would go even further and say it's their best work since out of time for me. i don't think it's anywhere near monster. as monster was to me embarrassing to me. a band trying to sound hip and cool. it paid off on some songs, but not enough to redeem the album. accelerate though is far better and closer, to me, to green than anything. i've been playing it non stop almost for the better part of a month.

for once rolling stone did get it right. they and most of the critics are spot on with this record. remember i did hype around the sun for awhile, but i even eventually saw that as awful and actually grew apart from them. my r.e.m. collection was dying if not dead. the hype surrounding accelerate got me interested again and surprisingly the band did not disappoint. the album comes highly recommended and probably will beat out an album by edie's band the heavy circles for the top spot this year.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:24 am

ACCELERATE is a great album. It just shows that when you release a few albums that even the fans scratch their heads at, a band can push themselves to give the people what they want.

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:40 am

Over 30

I have a promo copy of New Adventures but I will not be purchasing anything from R.E.M. without having a copy to listen to first. I don't have Monster.

I love R.E.M. "Lower, Wolves" is one of my all-time favorite songs. "Voice of Harold" was a neat stunt. When I was 13 I discovered the "alternative rock" radio station and heard "Fall On Me." I spent quite a bit of time collecting R.E.M.'s back catalogue trying to find that song. I had Chronic Town on cassette for fuck's sake. I love R.E.M. I share an office with a fellow R.E.M. fan. We work in the financial industry and have made it a point to listen to all of R.E.M.'s work at least once a quarter. We usually make it through to Out Of Time but when god damned "Shiny Happy People" comes on, I flip out. I can't take it. That song sucks. So does half that record.

I have two theories why R.E.M. began to suck with Green. First, they stopped doing drugs. Second, their commercial success caused them to be surrounded by an entourage of crack pipe smoking yes men. The entourage is usually the death knell for any band worth a shit.

My wife is looking over my shoulder rolling her eyes. But, let's face it - wallowing in obscurity is better for your creativity. That's a sad mystery of life. It must also mean my music is the best music in the universe.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:41 am

but did they ever even do drugs? i didn't think they were the type of band that did that sort of stuff. drink? yes. drugs though i'm not sure about. and the idea that a band has to wallow in obscurity to be good would have to neglect the fact that the rolling stones, the beatles, the beach boys, radiohead, bruce springsteen, and many more don't wallow in obscurity and they're great.

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:47 pm

Peter Buck is a total dope smoker! Tuatara!? Outings with Robyn Hitchcock?! Come on! We know Mr. Buck is a drinker. That's well documented (look up the airplance incident).

Okay, I'm speculating. I don't know for sure that the members of R.E.M. have eve done drugs. But, for the times and who I know to be their fans - they have to have at least experienced pot, LSD, mushrooms - psychedelic stuff.

All of those bands have at one time or another begun to suck. Usually coinciding (generally somewhat after) a rise to prominence. The Beatles imploded before they truly sucked - but Wings and some of Lennon's solo stuff is horrid. Springsteen I'm not so familiar with but the few late '80s nonsense I've heard leads me to believe he sucked then, then brought it back under control - just like Dylan. Come on, The Beach Boys? Are you not paying attention? Radiohead haven't been around long enough to start sucking but In Rainbows has all the hallmarks of them starting to suck.

Everybody begins to suck. That's part of life. Unless you never change (which is a kind of sucking in and of itself), you begin to suck.

Sorry. I even suck. That's just the way of this existence.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:24 pm

R.E.M has been going downhill since Buddy Holly died.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu May 01, 2008 4:22 pm

O! wrote:Peter Buck is a total dope smoker! Tuatara!? Outings with Robyn Hitchcock?! Come on! We know Mr. Buck is a drinker. That's well documented (look up the airplance incident).

Okay, I'm speculating. I don't know for sure that the members of R.E.M. have eve done drugs. But, for the times and who I know to be their fans - they have to have at least experienced pot, LSD, mushrooms - psychedelic stuff.

All of those bands have at one time or another begun to suck. Usually coinciding (generally somewhat after) a rise to prominence. The Beatles imploded before they truly sucked - but Wings and some of Lennon's solo stuff is horrid. Springsteen I'm not so familiar with but the few late '80s nonsense I've heard leads me to believe he sucked then, then brought it back under control - just like Dylan. Come on, The Beach Boys? Are you not paying attention? Radiohead haven't been around long enough to start sucking but In Rainbows has all the hallmarks of them starting to suck.

Everybody begins to suck. That's part of life. Unless you never change (which is a kind of sucking in and of itself), you begin to suck.

Sorry. I even suck. That's just the way of this existence.

i think you may have missed my point. the point i was making with all the aritsts i mentioned was that they were not obscure and they didn't suck. yeah, at some point they started to suck. but it was because they were no longer obscure. my point was that one doesn't have be obscure to be good. dylan is a great example of that. sure, he had his low period but he was still good even when he was so well known.

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Thu May 01, 2008 4:41 pm

grounded, I very much got your point, which is why I wrote that said sucking is usually coinciding (generally somewhat after) a rise to prominence. Dylan's happened to be long after, but he's an exception.

There are so many, many cases of bands that began to suck after they got huge, and not exactly when they got huge, but sometime after. Please don't ask me to list them. We all have to know. The Cure, Pearl Jam, The Stones, The Kinks, Weezer. . . the list is broad and all encompassing.

Return to “Rants and Raves”