"Everything but country" and fine music snobbery

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

kohl
GLONO Board Playa

"Everything but country" and fine music snobbery

Postby kohl » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:29 am

I just love this.

For everyone who has ever responded to a question regarding their music taste by saying, “I really like everything besides country,” I have a message for you: you don’t really like music...

What I’m saying has nothing to do with the quality of country music.

In fact, you could substitute “country” for rap, classical, emo or any other type of music that people somehow sense is uncool to like and wish to distance themselves from.

Read on...

Okay, it's not groundbreaking or supremely poetic or anything, but it hits the nail on the head. And towards the end, it's unprententious music snobbery. Can the two co-exsist? Yes, yes they can.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:15 am

This is an opportunity for GloNo message board geeks to examine their own musical tolerance and put their personal likes and dislikes here for all to ponder-------

LIKE AT LEAST SOME OF IT---punk rock, new wave,classic country,
new country, disco, standards(Sinatra etc.), heavy metal, americana,
pussy eatin' classic rock, Gospel, Classic Christmas
cheesy 70's pop(Afternoon Delight), bluegrass, psychedelic rock,
chicken rock (America, Little River Band) tv show themes,muzak
80's cheese rock (Scandal), 50's and 60's rock oldies, polkas, rap,
folk, acoustic guitar mass, rhythmic dance r and b(Shaggy, Beyonce), industrial dance, spoof rock(Ween),reggae, jazz(although my knowledge of jazz is limited), zydeco, industrial rock (hate NIN but like some Ministry) banjo music, ska,Blink 182, death metal, yodeling,
commercial jingles, Neil Diamond

DISLIKE------80's video game pop(She's A Maniac, Let's Get Physical)), opera, , slow modern r and b(kCI and JoJo shit), boy bands and their solo projects(Timberlake),new standards ripoffs(Michael Buble), doowop, active rock(Staind), Blink 182 ripoffs ,
modern hippie(Dave Mathews), show tunes, classical
modern Christmas rock(Mellencamp )
contemporary christian, new age, Streisand

DON'T KNOW ENOUGH--foreign music, world beat

Anyway that's enough about me.
I obviously left some stuff out but this has grown tiresome.
In closing isn't it funny how the word "Alternative" has now taken on the exact opposite meaning for anyone who has an open mind to music?
I asked this kid about 15 what kind of music he liked and he said ,"Alternative you know like Green Day and Simple Plan."
Last edited by Sven Killer Robot Spacema on Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:09 am

I like everything except country.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:34 am

I forgot moog(Hugo Montenegro especially) and pipe organ under my likes

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:24 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:I forgot moog(Hugo Montenegro especially) and pipe organ under my likes

We took that as a given.

I have a beef with purists. You know the type: classical fans who dismiss rock or pop as not music but merely noise; folkies who can't bear the thought that a traditional song be improvised. Thank god for evolution so these dinos will die soon.

My dislikes: hateful stuff (this includes some rap, some rock), muzak (this includes wailing divas and emasculated versions of good stuff), wacky jazz, jam rock, some experimental, Tragically Hip, music I'm regulated to listen to.

My likes (includes all derivatives): rock, metal, country, pop, jazz, blues, some opera, classical, celtic, "world," folk, punk, gospel, some experimental, etc.

If someone whose taste I respected sat me down to listen to something I didn't like, I'd try to appreciate the music. And I'd expect the same of them. I find this reciprication rarely happens. Apparently I'm a music snob who simply doesn't understand. Case in point, Tragically Hip. Why must I listen to a bar band without beer headphones? If you want me to appreciate this pap, prepare me properly. Sobriety and crap simply don't mix.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:59 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111ONEONE!!11I LOvE PUNX LIKE GoOD cHARLOTEE AND SUM 41 AND BLiNK 182!!!!!1111!!11CUNTRY MUSiC IS FOR FAGGS AND HOmOS LOLZ0RZ!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!11 OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:59 pm

Hey, I'll admit it: like everyone else, I'm guilty of a generalization now and again. But I do it because I care.

Music that I hate: Jimmy Buffett. Worthless thug-posturing/glorifying rap music and most jam music. Though in keeping with that article, Moe does a cover of "In a Big Country" that is pretty sweet

An even better list is music that I had decided I hated, but took the chance to become more familiar with and I'm glad I did: Most country music, the Who, Power Pop, and songs with an occasional guitar solo.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:52 pm

C'mon, we all know there's only a handful of great country musicians: Cash, Kline, Hank Sr., Dwight, Buck, George, Willie and Waylon, Faron, and a few others.

Country has generally gone down the shitter in the last 10-15 years, and if you brand me a snob for saying that, I will throw my drink in your face and laugh.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:33 pm

i thought this was a thread about the robbie fulks song "every kind of music but country"

i don't listen to much classical or jazz... this is more out of ignorance than dislike tho. there is plenty of both of these that i like, but my day to day listening is more rock/hip hop oriented. i don't think i can dismiss an entire genre really, but i definately listen to some stuff more than others.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:15 pm

How the fuck can you not like doowop!?!? Seriously, that caught me out of the blue. Doowop is pure bliss for me.

Return to “Rants and Raves”