Teach Your Children Well (With Lou Reed)

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Teach Your Children Well (With Lou Reed)

Postby worpswede » Thu May 18, 2006 11:48 am

A story to share. Last night, the little dude came downstairs to give hugs and kisses for bed time. The basement is where I have my music stuff and I was hanging out listening to cds while he was getting ready for bed. As most little dudes will do (he'll be 3 in a few weeks), he didn't want to go to bed and proceeded to stall:
L.D.: What are you doing?
WORP: Listening to music.
L.D.: I want to listen to music too.
WORP: One song and then it's bed time.
L.D.: Who's that? (pointing to a cd on the floor)
WORP: That's Lou Reed.
L.D.: I want to listen to Lou Reed.
WORP: Ok
L.D.: I want number five
The cd he was pointing to was "Transformer." Track 5 on "Transformer" is "Walk On The Wild Side."
Good choice, little dude.
During the "plucked her eyebrows on the way" line, he pointed to his own eyebrows. During the "even when she was givin' head" part, he pointed to his own head. Innocence.
During the "do, da do, da do, do do do do" part, he began dancing. When the sax came in during the fade at the end, the L.D. exclaimed
"I like Lou Reed!"
Tonight, we'll dig a little deeper in the Lou Reed catalog and spin "Venus In Furs."

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu May 18, 2006 12:00 pm

That's great.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu May 18, 2006 12:09 pm

That's awesome. You know you've done all right as a father when you end up with a Lou Reed fan.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu May 18, 2006 12:52 pm

Good work, worps!

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu May 18, 2006 12:55 pm

Right on, man!! Ya gotta raise 'em right. And it seems you're doing just fine.

My own LittleDudeMurph is only 2, and his big word is "no". I'll start a song, he'll chime in from behind me in his car seat, "No." So I'll advance to the next song, it'll be "No." Sigh; dude, that was Primal Scream, "Rocks". Are you sure you wanna nix it? Still, the answer from the mouth of babes is "No."

I gotta work on him a little bit...

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu May 18, 2006 1:09 pm

The next word is "mine." Have fun guys :)

Baltimucho
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Baltimucho » Thu May 18, 2006 2:29 pm

Reminds of when my two older kids would love to dance around with me to Walt Whitman's Niece, Hoodoo Voodoo and California Stars on that Mermaid Ave. CD.

I have a third who is now three years old, but she seems to have little interest in music beyond the Little People "Annoy the Fuck Out Of the Parents" CD we have in the car.

GloNo parents -- do you edit your song selections for young ears? I was listening to Waitress in the Sky and my eight-year-old was quite shocked to hear that "kiss my ass" line... From then on I've tried to be a little more careful.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu May 18, 2006 2:39 pm

miss carol wrote:The next word is "mine." Have fun guys :)

We're already there. He has full run of the house except the guitars, the stereo and the cd collection. He doesn't really understand the difference between cds and dvds. He wanted to watch a movie with me the other night and brought over Brian Wilson's "Smile."
He also has a thing for his penis and he refers to his testicles as his "peaches." I'm not sure how he came up with that one.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Thu May 18, 2006 2:42 pm

Maybe he'll get ya one of them there tasty "FUDGY THE WHALE " cakes from up the Carvel for Father's day. On acconna you sound like a "WHALE OF A DAD!"

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu May 18, 2006 3:10 pm

Baltimucho wrote:
GloNo parents -- do you edit your song selections for young ears? I was listening to Waitress in the Sky and my eight-year-old was quite shocked to hear that "kiss my ass" line... From then on I've tried to be a little more careful.

I don't, but his Mom does; her car is filled with children's cds and that's all she listens to with him. That's a good thing as her own tastes run towards the "nu-metal" vein. The Wiggles vs. System of a Down? Tough call.
My car. My stereo. My tunes. "Sgt. Pepper," "Beggar's Banquet" and "Jesus Christ Superstar" were my own babysitters, so I'm not sold on the idea that kids should have age-specific material. Plus, he's got a blend going on between the two of us (The Flaming Lips with Dad, Oscar the Grouch with Mom) so he's getting exposed to both kinds of music. I get dirty glances from her when he's in the car and some profanity pops out of the speaker (last time was when The Fall's "The Classical" was spinning and the line "Hey there, fuck face!" came on). So now, I've been editing the tunage to make sure he's not repeating things like "Support the power of women! Use the word 'fuck'."

Return to “Rants and Raves”