Teach Your Children Well (With Lou Reed)

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri May 19, 2006 4:48 am

Jake wrote:I'm guessing there's probably an age range where you might want to shelter their ears. That's why if I ever have a baby, I'm blasting NWA into the womb from the moment of conception until baby turns two. Then they'll be on a strictly John Denver/Kenny Rogers diet until they turn 8, at which point they can listen to whatever they want.

That might not work, Jake. I remember reading a news article about a study on music and kids a while back. They tested kids to see what kinds of music put them at ease, or helped them concentrate, or something, and it tended to be the kind of music their parents liked. The researchers figured the reason might be that the kids were listening to and getting used to their parents toons before birth. (I googled for this briefly but couldn't find it.)

So you might want to use the Denver/Rogers as a threat: "If you don't go to bed this minute, I'm putting on 'Thank God I'm a Country Boy,' junior!"
"Yes, daddy, yes, please, not 'Country Boy'!"

Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Batchy » Fri May 19, 2006 9:30 am

Lep, i know it's off topic and been said before but that avatar is bitchin. Just bitchin.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri May 19, 2006 11:13 am

foxforcefive wrote:If anyone's looking for KIDS kids music off the beaten path, I would suggest the old Carole King/Maurice Sendak (of "Wild Things") collaboration called "Really Rosie." She put several of his stories to music, and they are really good in that 70s vibe way ("Pierre" is a classic.) It is on iTunes, I think.

Seconded. That's just good music; I'd recommend it even to those without little bitches and bastards at home, too.

johnhl
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby johnhl » Fri May 19, 2006 11:39 am

I'd never had an issue with this at all until a few weeks ago Foutains of Wayne's "Bright Future in Sales" was on downstairs, and I was upstairs and still heard the "gonna get my shit together" line get replayed. I went down and heard my 10 year-old son whispering to my 7 year-old daughter, "He's saying the sh-word." I just told them that they needed to not make a big deal about it--unless they wanted me to limit what they could play. I hate the idea of having to send the kids outside when I'm playing something "explicit", but if it comes down to that or having to listen to John Denver around them all the time, the choice is clear.

Damn, couldn't it have been something cooler? I couldnt tell you how many times has he heard Westerberg sing "You're all fucked" and never noticed.

Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Batchy » Fri May 19, 2006 12:12 pm

Don't They Might Be Giants have a couple of "kids" albums. Anyone heard 'em? They up to much? (or They Up To Much)

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri May 19, 2006 3:34 pm

Batchy wrote:Don't They Might Be Giants have a couple of "kids" albums. Anyone heard 'em? They up to much? (or They Up To Much)

Not only do they have some kids albums out, but they're pimpin' for da MOUSE!!!! Two shows that my 2-year old watches on the Disney Channel (Higgley Town Heroes and the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse) have theme songs written & performed by the 2 Johns in TMBG. I say good for them... the songs are sorta catchy, too. Not insipid (until you hear 'em for the 200th time; then anything gets insipid).

Catch the blog, if you must...

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Sat May 20, 2006 11:50 am

I'm expecting a little one of my own in early October and although I haven't had any food cravings, I have been craving the Stooges and '70s NY punk. Hmm...

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sat May 20, 2006 3:02 pm

Dreamin wrote:I'm expecting a little one of my own in early October and although I haven't had any food cravings, I have been craving the Stooges and '70s NY punk. Hmm...

HOLY TOLEDO!!!! Congratulations! That's great news! I think Murph did this, but a fun thing to do (if you're a music geek) is to go into your collection and make a tiny human-appropriate mix cd. We made a tape for Kait and a cd for Aidan when they were wee little one with Beatles and Beach Boys and Jonathan Richman... good tiiiiiiimes. Again, Congrats to you and your prog-lovin' hubby.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat May 20, 2006 3:06 pm

Dreamin wrote:I'm expecting a little one of my own in early October and although I haven't had any food cravings, I have been craving the Stooges and '70s NY punk. Hmm...

Congratulations!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat May 20, 2006 5:52 pm

Congrats! That's wonderful news. I'm thrilled for you all. Keep us updated.

Return to “Rants and Raves”