Since there's more to life than just music...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:42 am

hebrew hammer wrote:Dick Lit

You asked for it, you got it, Toyota.
Dude, Here's My Book
NYT wrote:Mr. Max was referring to his recent promotional tour for his book "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell," a collection of supposedly autobiographical stories that typically involve Mr. Max getting extremely drunk, hooking up with strangers and, as often as not, making a fool of himself.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:14 pm

Lep, it seems you nailed it.

As for the rest, just because the author is male doesn't make the books guy/dick lit.

But I have my answer. Thanks for playing.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:34 pm

Yeah, I was gonna say a classic example of Dick Lit would definitely be Maddox. Personally, I really enjoy his website, and I will definitely be buying his book, when I get a chance. Definitely dick lit, as is Tucker Max. Someone mentioned Palahniauk (sp?) I think that'san excellent example as well, he relies on the fact that people love to be disgusted to sell books. At first I really like his stuff, but now he's just trying to hard.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:30 pm

I think Gina Gershon is pretty freakin' smokin' for a broad with
that many miles on her. Shit yeah!

BeaArthur5-49
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BeaArthur5-49 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:53 am

miss carol wrote:As for the rest, just because the author is male doesn't make the books guy/dick lit.

It's not just that the authors are men that makes it dick lit; the books generally approximate the tone of a guy in a bar telling drinking (or in the case of Dr. Thompson, drug) stories. I based my answer largely on the responses of women I've known and been involved with; well-read women tend to dismiss Kerouac, Bukowski, Thompson, and others as stuff that appeals to the adolescent lad that dwells in eternally within each man. (And I don't mean that as a dis -- hell, my avatar is from Bukowski's grave, and you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger lover of the Beats than me. I've just heard it more times than I can count from more women than I can count; when asked about my favorite writers, they roll their eyes and say "BO-RIIING!" So I've begun to think of that stuff as "guy" stuff.)

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:12 pm

BeaArthur, how sad for your women friends that they miss out on some of the greats of the American literary canon. Pity. I though the women's movement would have made my gender kin smarter rather than forment age-old stereotypes. Hope they enjoy whine with their cheese.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:49 pm

miss carol wrote:Hope they enjoy whine with their cheese.

Hey-Oh!

BeaArthur5-49
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BeaArthur5-49 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:09 pm

miss carol wrote: Hope they enjoy whine with their cheese.

Well put. Upon rereading my last post, I thought "Man, I gotta meet cooler women."

Truth be told, I don't mean to make it sound like the women I know are all dismissive of the finer works of American literature. Like I said, they're all well-read, articulate, intelligent people (do I know any other kind?). But the general consensus is: "these guy tell a good story, but why do they have to spend so much time glorifying getting wasted/laid/arrested/beat up?" After hearing that question from female colleagues, friends, lovers, and spouses (2 of 'em!), I've started to wonder if it ain't a gender thang.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:57 pm

BeaArthur5-49 wrote:
Well put. Upon rereading my last post, I thought "Man, I gotta meet cooler women."

Truth be told, I don't mean to make it sound like the women I know are all dismissive of the finer works of American literature. Like I said, they're all well-read, articulate, intelligent people (do I know any other kind?). But the general consensus is: "these guy tell a good story, but why do they have to spend so much time glorifying getting wasted/laid/arrested/beat up?" After hearing that question from female colleagues, friends, lovers, and spouses (2 of 'em!), I've started to wonder if it ain't a gender thang.

Speaking for myself, I can say it ain't. Perhaps you should to these women why so many women writers feels the need to angst about relationships, victimization, being hard done by, and shoes. Get over yourself, ladies!

Hmmm. Maybe I should get writing!

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:17 pm

hebrew hammer wrote: Someone mentioned Palahniauk (sp?) I think that'san excellent example as well, he relies on the fact that people love to be disgusted to sell books. At first I really like his stuff, but now he's just trying to hard.

I mentioned him because, up until Diary, his books were really formulaic. Weird, but formulaic. Basically, he starts at the end of the story with a really bizarre situation and then spends the rest of the book describing how you got there, which is pretty gimmicky. That holds true for Fight Club, Invisible Monsters, Survivor, Lullaby, maybe others. With that, and his kind of shocky/pulpy, plot-driven books that I can generally read between lunch and dinner on a Saturday, I thought he fit pretty well within the dick-lit category.

I mentioned Hiassen at the same time because, although I've only read two of his books (Skinny Dip and Sick Puppy), they're basically the same book. Almost character for character and plot point for plot point. Hiassen and Pahlaniuk are both fun, but they're not really high-minded stuff. I don't mean to be passing value judgements on their work here.

Return to “Rants and Raves”