sleater kinney break up

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:41 pm

If I'd known how many people thought S-K weren't that good, I wouldn't have been so embarrassed about holding that opinion, myself!

But Fugazi? Seminal band. Ha! Just kidding. Woo hoo!!!

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:01 pm

that's sad. i was just an inch away from finally seeing them last month. now it will never happen

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:20 pm

I think I'm gonna try to catch them live in Illadelph in July. I don't wanna miss my last chance to catch what is sure to be an excellent show.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:47 pm

miss carol wrote:You know what this means, of course. All Lisa-Loeb-style-glasses wearing, indie feminists, grrls will cry and a tribute album will be released featuring Le-friggen-Tigre. Then there will be MORE feature articles in Bust about their influence and the proliference of chick rock; and MS will do a minor profile and decry the absense of chicks in rock and how we're all put upon by patriarchy.

In other words, it's gonna get ugly. And I'll need a lot of beer....but if they don't put out another singer-on-helium record, the world will be a better place.

And fuck S-K. It's all about Etta today.

Is it 5:30 EST yet?

Yikes! WTF is up your snatch?

Lisa Loeb? Huh?

Words cannot express how you've crushed my BB love for you, Miss Carol. I'm crying inside right now.
Last edited by Sugarcubes Forever on Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:53 pm

This bums be out. I love The Woods. And I still like to shuffle through all the rest of their back catalog. The thought that there won't be another album from them is a bit of a bummer.

They're also one of those bands that I'll probably never get to see live. I have a whole list of them: The Smiths, Pixies, SK, Fugazi, Guns and Roses.....

Well, maybe not Guns and Roses.

Bands breaking up isn't necessarily a bad thing. If their work is really that good it will only become more important over time to their fans. Look at The Pixies. Before they broke up you could get into one of their shows by buying a ticket a the door the night of. After a decade worth of realizing how good they were, people love them even more.

I only pray that they don't get back together and pull a fucking Weezer on me. The Woods was their Pinkerton. Time to put a 40 on the curb for my homies in SK. Peace out!

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:29 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:Time to put a 40 on the curb for my homies in SK. Peace out!

they're not dead or anything. Probably just need to "spend more time with the family"

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:57 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:
Yikes! WTF is up your snatch?

Lisa Loeb? Huh?

Words cannot express how you've crushed my BB love for you, Miss Carol. I'm crying inside right now.

Ok ok. I'll listen to the record again. Just for you, Sugar. Now please stop crying. This bespectacled indie feminist grrl can only take so much crushed emo BB love. It hurts. Truly.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:36 am

miss carol wrote:
Ok ok. I'll listen to the record again. Just for you, Sugar. Now please stop crying. This bespectacled indie feminist grrl can only take so much crushed emo BB love. It hurts. Truly.

I feel like a little Emo boy right now. Oh the pain! Oh the humanity!

Kristy
GLONO Team Member

Postby Kristy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:20 am

Miss Carol, you might not have the right record. I couldn't get into The Rock at all, and I never bought All Hands on the Bad One -- no interest. The Woods I did buy but I couldn't get into it at first (now I like it).

The no-fail, non-stop great-songs one is, as amighty said, Dig Me Out. It's incredible how good it is. I mean, if you like fast, tuneful rock a la early Replacements (Sorry Ma ... era) but played with more precision and even more fire power.

I dunno if the Replacements thing is right -- trying to think of how to characterize their songs. They grip your heart and your rhythm response at the same time. "Oh you've got the darkest eyes ... " sung by Corin T., who I realize you don't like as of now, is one of the greatest lines in rock. IMO.

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:32 am

i dunno... i'm actually a fan. it's not like i've been to a lot of s-k shows, but i can say that they put on one of the most eneretic shows i've ever seen and really connected with their crowd. their sound may not be my thing all the time, but it's definitely pretty great stuff. i'm sure their die hard following will miss them greatly. at least they had a decent run and left behind a lot of albums and a great reputation.

as for deerfhoof... i've gotten slack from jake and phil in the past... even jake's wife has openly mocked me on this... but i actually enjoyed the last album. i've vehemently hated everything they did before, but the last one flipped me... though only after a several repeated listens all the way through. i totally understand why people don't like them... there's a lot not to like... though if you give them a chance, there are a couple songs that come through on the last album... "o'malley, former underdog" is great. it's like a crunchy, sloppy pizzicatto five... total deconstructed kitsch pop. a couple other decent tracks from last years album are "wrong time capsule" and "scream team". and in the middle of a lot of mess on the other tracks are some wonderful noise breaks that are reminiscent of both pavement and early guided by voices. like in "siriustar". The song is a mess, but it's a lot of fun if you let it be.

Return to “Rants and Raves”