Would you buy religion from this man?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Would you buy religion from this man?

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:57 am

Mel Gibson....tsk tsk tsk.

It's freaking crazy how fast the media has jumped on his little Anti-Semitic tirade.

I personally hope that he gets raked over the coals for this one. He has for years defended the Anti Semitic and sick statements of his father, and his "blood curse" jew-traitor passion-play of a movie was nothing but another in a 2000 year old Catholic campaign to incite and blame jews for the killing of their diety.

TMZ reported it was a profanity-laced tirade, and that the deputy audiotaped it. TMZ did not say it had heard the audiotape.

The Web site reported that Gibson's alleged remarks included: "(Expletive) Jews. The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world."

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:13 am

Well, speaking as a Jew, I have to say that I'm offended by a lot of the continuity in Braveheart. I mean, have you ever watched it sober? One minute he's charging across the field with a huge sword and in the next shot he's running with an axe! That's only one example of many. Really poor continuity. And don't even get me started on how white everyone's teeth are, it's just silly.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:26 pm

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:37 pm

I don't know what's worse -- his spewing of such racist bile or the fact that he was that fucking blotto behind the wheel. I'm surprised he only blew a .12 on the breathalyzer. I usually don't care much for the neo-Prohibitionists of MAD, but I hope they organize a boycott of his movies.

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:46 pm

Christopher Hitchens has a good, albeit probably hammered piece on it.

http://www.slate.com/id/2146880/nav/tap1/

I don't think it's fair to lump Gibson's maniacal bullshit in w/mainstream Catholicism. But, Gibson has been an anti-Semite for years. For "The Passion...", he quoted mainly from the gospel of Matthew, not the other evangelists. The reason being that Matthew is the only one who expressly blames Jews (and not just Pharisees). Matthew was alos the only Jewish evangelists and his gospels was written mainly for Jews (Mark for Romans, Luke for Drs. women and Greeks, and John to correct oversights or to redress parts where his rolewas underrepressented). Hence, I have always seen this part of Matthew's gospel as being akin to someone trying to make his point while speaking privately tohis own ppl. Something akin to a black guy saying "nigger". It's interesting to note that none of the other gospels mention this, particularly John's, which was written with 60 some yrs. of afterthought and knowledge of contemporary interpretations.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:55 pm

Well, Ol' Hitch should talk.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27996

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:01 pm

I know. When I saw Hitchens' article, my first thought was this Onion article.

Then, I realized that I through around the word "akin" like Gibson says "Jew".

I sincerely apologize to anyone offended by my shit vocabulary and steadfast refusal to spellcheck. it's akin to...ah, fuck it.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:12 pm

stickman45 wrote:Christopher Hitchens has a good, albeit probably hammered piece on it.

http://www.slate.com/id/2146880/nav/tap1/

I don't think it's fair to lump Gibson's maniacal bullshit in w/mainstream Catholicism. But, Gibson has been an anti-Semite for years. For "The Passion...", he quoted mainly from the gospel of Matthew, not the other evangelists. The reason being that Matthew is the only one who expressly blames Jews (and not just Pharisees). Matthew was alos the only Jewish evangelists and his gospels was written mainly for Jews (Mark for Romans, Luke for Drs. women and Greeks, and John to correct oversights or to redress parts where his rolewas underrepressented). Hence, I have always seen this part of Matthew's gospel as being akin to someone trying to make his point while speaking privately tohis own ppl. Something akin to a black guy saying "nigger". It's interesting to note that none of the other gospels mention this, particularly John's, which was written with 60 some yrs. of afterthought and knowledge of contemporary interpretations.

Alas, the rub. The version of 'christianity' that won out in the years following the death of its supposed diety is a version which necessarily relies on Matthew. The "passion play" is simply a propaganda piece to INCITE the followers. To whip them up into a frenzy.

I can only imagine that if Eashoa' had known what his legacy would become he would have either kept his mouth shut or tried really hard to get it all written down himself! :)

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:16 pm

I agree with you. I just don't feel that Gibson or his film reflect the views of mainstream Catholicism, no matter how he presents himself. He's a spokesman for himself and those like him, whom I feel (hope?)are lesser in number than you would believe.

The official Catholic church stance is that these quotes from Matthew have been disavowed since vatican II. Granted, it shouldn't have takne until 1963.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:18 pm

stickman45 wrote:The reason being that Matthew is the only one who expressly blames Jews (and not just Pharisees).

Matthew might be the only gospel that includes the "Let his blood be on us and on our children" bit, but all four gospels contain the scene where the Jews bring Jesus to the Roman governor Pilate, who offers to set one prisoner free. In all four gospels, the Jews demand that Barabbas be released and not Jesus.

Dig it.

Return to “Rants and Raves”