Would you buy religion from this man?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:50 pm

it's all a part of the celebrity obessed world that we are living in now. people love to build stars up only then to tear them down. of course there are those that do that on their own. pete doherty anyone? at times it's really sad.
Last edited by grounded5am on Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

KC32
GLONO Board Playa

Postby KC32 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:16 am

I think this is probably a potential career-crusher for him. Touchstone will release his next flick because they've got too much invested in it not to. I don't see him getting off relatively easy like Jesse Jackson or old Ice Cube.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:18 am

i'm not entirely sure. many, many celebrities have done the same or far worse and made a comeback. it all depends on how sincere he really is in his apologies and subsequent actions. for now i'm giving him a little benefit of the dobut. but it hinges on what he plans to do about the problems other than apologizing.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:23 am

miss carol wrote:
HOLY SHIT! According to the sell line in the banner at the bottom, Jesus had a film crew with him the whole damn time. Hmm...I wonder if it's available on You Tube.

Hell yeah, that was a great read. I'm a little confused though, because I could have sworn that the right to keep and bear arms wasn't one of the original commandments.

Studying the Bible as literature is actually pretty interesting. But to take it as fact, well, you might as well believe in the tooth fairy. I mean, allegory anyone?
But that's just my opinion. That and that Bruce Willis is ten times the action star that Mel Gibson ever was. Admit it, Die Hard kicked the shit out of Lethal Weapon, hands down.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:42 am

Right on steve-o.

Since you guys have pushed my historical Jesus button, thought I'd recommend some John Dominic Crossan. He kind of explains/does away with the "magic Jesus" thing and has done more work than anyone on the historical context of Jesus and the fascinating beginnings of Christianity. He is a former Catholic priest and professor of theology at DePaul.

KC32
GLONO Board Playa

Postby KC32 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:45 am

The first Lethal Weapon was good. The rest got far into too much winking at the camera. Gibson does have The Road Warrior films on his resume. Though I like to think the third one doesn't exist.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:58 am

So anyway, I been out of town. What's this I hear about Jesus getting hammered and fucking with the cops?

I've cut Gibson a lot of slack over the years because of Mad Max, but now he's officially a douchebag. Sad, really...

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:07 pm

steve-o wrote:I'm a little confused though, because I could have sworn that the right to keep and bear arms wasn't one of the original commandments.

It's there, but it's buried in the back somewhere, right after the part about tithing the poor for centuries to build brilliant cathedrals. But by "bear arms", perhaps it was pointy sticks and lemon-sized stones that they had in mind.

I haven't seen Passion of the Christ, but has anyone else been flashing back to Life of Brian throughout this thread? I wonder what Mel would think of the People's Front of Judea?

Alias
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Alias » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:20 pm

it really makes my heart break ppl still foolishly choose to believe the Bible is a work of fiction, especially given the concrete evidence in our day to support the validity of its content.

Pilate did not seek to have Jesus killed, in fact he urged and pleaded with the people to release him, this is a truism, as well as the fact Pilate did indeed wash his hands, this was a common gesture to resolve one of bloodguilt.

All scriptures are inspired by God, and its inconceivable to believe any of the gospels were written to placate one group of people or hammock their point of view or prejudices. the gospels were not written to condemn the Jews, but to draw closer and appreciate exactly what Jesus has done for us and zeal to his father.

God is not parital. the gospels as well as every book in the Bible, is to provide greater insight as to why this system of things are as tulmultous as it is and how God's sovereignty and his original purpose will be restored, plus our role in this great challenge.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:26 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote: Sad, really...

The sad part is he didn't have any flunkies to drive his drunk arse around. Doesn't he have anybody he can trust working for him?
Somebody he can trust to wipe his arse for him? Family members?
This guy had a piece of the snuff film 'bout Jesus so he could easily pay 5 different guys 6 figures to cater to his every whim.
His movies never exactly made me cream my jeans but you have to admit he kind of broke the mold a bit for big action stars.
Maybe he really is a family guy who has fallen on fucked up times.
Who cares? He's super rich and that's the important thing.

Return to “Rants and Raves”