How stupid does corporate radio think women are?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:47 pm

It may have been a stereotype that created this stereotype.
More and more radio stations these days are targeting women because they are perceived as more active consumers than men.
This perception or stereotype often creates a glut of radio stations in
one market that are all going after female listeners, There are only so many pieces of the pie. This "Jill" marketing concept may be a desperate attempt at doing something revolutionary with this station to attract women. Obviously they're thinking way too much.
New Country is now a female format. Even "Jack" or "Bob" or whatever they call it in your nearest market is often marketed 50/50 males/females. Some classic hits(Eagles, Billy Joel, Bad Company, REO Speedwagon) are more than 50 percent female listenership.
When I worked for one of the big radio conglomerates I was in on several meetings where we created a person who was our target audience. We gave him/her a name, a job, income, spouse, kid's names, hobbies,etc. I don't need to tell you it was completely lame.
Still it is fun to try to get as many people as possible to listen.
I like Ben and Jerry's but when I go fishing I use worms not ice cream.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:50 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:Still it is fun to try to get as many people as possible to listen.
I like Ben and Jerry's but when I go fishing I use worms not ice cream.

Lately, I like to pretend that Sven is actually Bob Lefsetz.

Alias
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Alias » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:44 pm

steve-o wrote:I've been amazed for years how clueless marketing people seem to be: I mean compare the commercials for Hardees Burgers to the McDonalds salad commercials, its the same kind of absurd stereotyping that this radio station is doing. Not to mention when McDonalds, Ford and even the phone companies have "Black people" commercials and "White people" commercials.

those MickD commericals are the worse. I, especially, find the one with the 4 cartoon AA women revolting, well actually MD is revolting in itself.

but on some level I look forward to the multiracial tendered commercials, when we take over the world. I think these will certainly be far more entertaining and interesting.

also, I had no idea DMB was a chick band, totally thought it was more so a listless male driven cult.

Return to “Rants and Raves”