Wolf Parade - Why The Hype?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Wolf Parade?

Love Em
60%
Don't Get It
40%

Total votes: 10

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Wolf Parade - Why The Hype?

Postby redfieldp » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:57 am

Okay, so I've listened to the album, saw them live last night, and I still don't get it: what's the draw of this band? It seems like rehash of things already done, but with less energy. Anyone?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:16 pm

You know why there are so many bands trying to sound like Modest Mouse? Because Good News for People Who Love Bad News has sold 1.5 million copies.

I get it; I just don't like it.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:22 pm

ok...i'll open up myself to contempt, scorn, etc. but i don't think they sound much like MM. i've listened to quite a few MM albums and don't get the sense that they're somehow copping their sound.

i love the cd. imo, they are get a backlash b/c they have been an 'it' band and got strokes'-like praise. i think its' warranted though. apologies to queen mary is a great disc beginning to end.

and even more possible ridicule...i feel the same way about 'clap your hands say yeah.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:52 pm

cat153 wrote:and even more possible ridicule...i feel the same way about 'clap your hands say yeah.

I'm certainly not going to to ridicule you. I just think you enjoy a particular style of music that I don't care about/for. Bands like Modest Mouse, Wolf <strike>Mother</strike> Parade, Clap Your Hands, and Arcade Fire all share a common sound (to my ears -- and I realize that not everyone lumps them together). I think there's a common yelping vocal style that is inspired by David Byrne.

And I think all of those bands get the attention they got because the Fork's Ryan Schreiber is a huge Talking Heads fan. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :)
Last edited by Jake on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:38 pm

For what it's worth, I really like "Shine a Light," which is the only Wolf Parade song I have heard. But as far as music fads go, Talking Heads inspired indie rock is way better than previous fads (i.e. Ska, Jam music, Big Band revival...geez, I'm getting nauseous just think about it.)

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:42 pm

yeah, i can understand that. i have to say too that i am a fan of talking heads and generally like pitchfork.

that said, i really think wolf parade and cyhsy and arcade fire are all very different. interestingly i hear the talking heads influence is cyhsy but i also hear a lot of gordon gano/violent femmes as well. maybe even more so than byrne.

for me...wolf parade is a fun album of songs that are highly listenable and they havne't gotten old for me...which is saying something b/c i have a bit of adhd when it comes to music. i really like spencer krug's new/other band sunset rubdown quite a bit as well. i'm also very much looking forward to the swan lake cd which features krug, dan bejar, and casey mercer from frog eyes.

i haven't listened to wolf mother. based on reviews...didn't think that would be my cup of tea, so haven't given it a chance.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:51 pm

cat153 wrote:i haven't listened to wolf mother.

Doh, I totally meant Wolf Parade. Fucking Wolf bands!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:00 pm

This discussion has convinced for me why I probably won't like Wolf Parade: apart from Arcade Fire (which is ok), I'm a huge fan of the rest of the bands. Which means 1) they'll be a huge mainstream-friendly indie band, and 2) one of my best friends will think they're amazing. She played me the last Modest Mouse record, which I thought was good, burned it for me, and it doesn't bear repeated listening (too angular). The guys at Soundscapes here in Toronto said Good News borrowed heavily from Built for Spill. So I gave their 2006 release a spin in the store and lo and behold they were right---to my ears anyway. I walked out of the store with The Normal Years (not sounding like MM) and am pretty happy with it.

Nothing's new, it seems.

This payweek's purchase: I'm aiming for a Bad Brains reissue.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:19 pm

I'm a Wolf Parade fan, as I am with Clap Your Hands and Arcade Fire, and Modest Mouse. So there, bitches.

I think, vocally, the comparison's definitly accurate. David Byrne inspired all of these guys. But the music itself, to me, is different. Arcade Fire are more lush (lusher?), elegant. Wolf Parade sounds sort of gothic to me, and Clap Your Hands is brighter, more sunshiney and fun. Of course, they're all dead to me until I hear the second albums. But CYHSY is working with Dave Fridmann, of Flaming Lips / Sleater Kinney / Low fame. I think it's a good fit, he'll be able to get the most "atmosphere" out of those hella jangly guitars.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:29 pm

i like wolfmother...

Return to “Rants and Raves”