Maybe America has taste after all? Paris Hilton album tanks

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Maybe America has taste after all? Paris Hilton album tanks

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:22 pm

HILTON'S CD IS INSTANT TANKER

In its first week out of the gate, Hilton's first CD is being widely seen as a certified flop. "Paris," which features the single "Stars Are Blind," sold a lackluster 75,000 copies in the United States - a pittance compared to Christina Aguilera's first-week sales of 320,000, according to Soundscan.

And projected sales for next week are said to be a measly 30,000, which is a larger than normal second week drop.

"Paris" is languishing at the bottom of Billboard's Hot 100 - so Hilton's label rushed out her second single, "Turn It Up," which isn't doing very well either.

"The international outlook is not much better for her," one industry source told Page Six. "The international people are not inclined to do a big push since she can't back up the album with a tour. Obviously, she can't sing live."

The source added that Hilton was advised a year ago to train her voice, work with choreographers and learn an instrument to prepare for a limited tour, but "obviously she didn't listen."

According to Hits, with 37.97% of their sample in, PARIS is at #5 with 43,970 copies sold so far...

Previously.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:35 pm

fuckin' a man, that's reassuring.

but you know what? Allmusic gave it a really good review. Stephen Thomas Erlewine seems to have a nasty habit of giving teenyboppers and ho's much more credit than they deserve. here's the thing: as much as you may like that album as a strictly pop pleasure, it STILL has almost nothign to do with Paris Hilton. Think of all the songwriters, producers, and musicians who had their hands in that thing and got paid a pretty penny to make sure it wasn't a stinker. not that they give a rat's ass about what allmusic.com thinks -- they just want it to sell. and it's a damn good thing it's not.

Peace out!

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:37 pm

Hah, I remember seeing that on the itunes homepage last night, and thinking "What the fuck? Don't tell me that album is on there because it's actually getting downloaded." I actually went back to the site to confirm my suspicions, but all the reviews are like "Yuck, this is awful, wish I could give it 0 stars." See that's what I get for prejudging humanity! Nice to see 'em come through for me once in a while.

As for allmusic.com, they don't get a pass on this one. People who are supposed to be as educated about music as they supposedly are should be able to recognize a steaming pile of pitch-correction and compression when they hear one.

Still, it kind of reminds me of a lesson my father taught me: "Expect the best out of people, be frequently disappointed; expect the worst out of people, be occassionally surprised."

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:21 am

Well, all the flavor's gone. Paris is so much chewed-out Juicy Fruit. On to the next one, that's all.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Maybe America has taste after all? Paris Hilton album ta

Postby russ » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:31 am

Jake wrote:[url=http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix/pagesix.htm]HILTON'S CD IS INSTANT TANKER

that's hot...

skyflynn
GLONO Board Playa

Postby skyflynn » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:04 am

I'm certain that, like any powerful person, she'll be insulated from this failure. Unlike presidents and celebrity skanks, you or I would have to answer for this steaming pile.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:39 am

Of course, it's still fairly despicable that her record is in the top ten. And 75,000 is still a lot of people...

Lurker01
Resident troll

I was gonna say that

Postby Lurker01 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:22 am

Jake wrote:Of course, it's still fairly despicable that her record is in the top ten. And 75,000 is still a lot of people...

I'm sure plenty of musicians here would love to "tank" at "only" 75,000 sold in one week.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:04 pm

i remember when naomi campbell released an album. her producers even forgot to computerize her voice into something that wasn't her own. certainly it can't be as bad as that.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:33 pm

If my band ever sold 10,000 I would probably implode. I would be totally thrilled with life if we sold 5,000. OK fine, I see your point, you have to first sell 1,000, but I'm shooting for the stars here. A band can dream for 5,000, can't it?

Return to “Rants and Raves”