Pet Sounds 40th Anniversary

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Pet Sounds 40th Anniversary

Postby Tom4 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:15 pm

I just ordered my Pet Sounds 40th Anniversary double vinyl and CD/DVD. I've wanted this fucking album on vinyl for so long it's pained me in my bones. I have to wait another 4-6 weeks to get it, but goddamn, it'll be worth the wait.

Anyone have the vinyl or the DVD? How are the docs/interviews? And does the vinyl sound like a million of God's tiny voices or what?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:09 am

I had a scratchy old mono copy of the original that I found in a dollar bin somewhere and it sounded great.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:39 pm

OK...seeking some advice from those who have purchased this:

I'm a BB's fan but don't consider myself to be obsessed or anythign. I have the Pet Sounds remastered mono/stereo release. If the new CD is really sonically better in a non-adiophile way, let me know. I will get the CD if it's worth it. Otherwise, i'll stick with what i have.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:26 pm

Stick with what you have unless you have a 5.1 DVD-Audio system. That, and the DVD documentary, are what separates this new version from the one you already have.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:53 pm

Yeah, I'm the same as you, cat. I love Pet Sounds but couldn't really care much one way or the other about the rest of their stuff. I also have the mono/stereo CD from a few years ago, but I bought the new version for the DVD. I'm very excited about the prospects of documentaries about the making of the album.

Also, an aside: my friend used to work at PNC Performing Arts Center here in NJ, and a few years ago Brian Wilson performed. He was sort of a utility man, helping out at concessions, merch, behind the scenes, wherever. Long story short, he wound up having to drive Wilson in a golf cart around the place the day of the show. I feel like that's a sublime event in one's life.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:08 am

really? if you like pet sounds that much, i'd heartily recommend picking up at least the sunflower/surf's up two-fer.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:42 am

What's everyone's opinions here of Smile? I'm still not quite sure what to make of it.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:06 am

n8 wrote:What's everyone's opinions here of Smile? I'm still not quite sure what to make of it.

i absolutely love it. i was a casual observer of the SMiLE phenomenon before the announcement of the official release (enough to download and burn one of the fan-made bootlegs). when i first got the official wilson release, i loved it, but then set it aside and didn't listen to it for quite a while. i've picked it up again recently in a flurry of beach boys listening and started loving it even more. it is really astounding to me that he could come back so long after the fact and record something that's even arguably a fulfillment of the lofty promise of SMiLE. i still have a bit of sadness that carl wasn't around to record leads for some of the songs, especially after hearing another set of old SMiLE session bootlegs that were cleaned up and finished really well, but for what it is and how it came together, i really think it's a remarkable acheivement, which wouldn't mean squat if it wasn't good to listen to, but it is.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:00 am

i really love it too. however, my ONLY point of criticism (and it's slight) is that sometimes it seems more like one of those history channel shows where they digitally re-create an ancient site to show exactly what it would look like it. Smile, to me, has that feel...it sounds good and is a great record on its' own but sometimes it feels like a 're-creation' or his creation instead of an organic piece of new music.

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby redfieldp » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:10 am

n8 wrote:What's everyone's opinions here of Smile? I'm still not quite sure what to make of it.

I really like it, but I prefer the fan-created version with all the original takes on it better. Having the voices of the original band really makes a big difference to me. The new version sounds too slick and sterile at parts....

Return to “Rants and Raves”