Go See Guns And Roses

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Go See Guns And Roses

Postby redfieldp » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:09 pm

So last night, I went to the Warfield here in San Francisco to see the "new" Guns and Roses. Like probably everyone, I didn't know what to expect and was a little skeptical. There's the whole chinese democracy debacle, and the fact that the band has changed, etc. I'm not even what you would call a big fan of the band, and I guess I bought the ticket more just to see what happened than anything else. Point being, I expected very little.

I was so, so, wrong.

The night was amazing. They are a kick ass, all out, full on, rock band. They played for over two hours. All the hits. Everyone was in amazingly high spirits. Axl sounded great, and was polite and deferential to the audience. It was awesome seeing Tommy Stinson rock out as Axl's right hand man (even though I think little of the audience knew who he was) and the three guitarists all can tear it to shreds. More than anything it was a fantastic, unapologetic, energetic, rock show. It has pyrotechnics. It had confetti. It had lights. And you know what, the new songs are pretty good too! I highly recommend.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:15 pm

I'm going tonight! I'm sure everyone here is SOOOOOO surprised.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:41 pm

Well, I certainly am surprised; not that the band puts on a good show, but that the tour has continued with relatively few fuckups. I am a fan of early G-N-R so I'm glad to hear the shows are going well, but I wonder how closely this road show tends to the Use Your Illusion side of the band as opposed to the ditrty rock of Appetite and Lies?

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:48 pm

Sorry, but if I'm going to go see a cover band, it's going to be Mini Kiss.

Although, I also like Tiny Kiss.

It's difficult to choose. Two great cover bands who are at War with each other. But MiniGene has called a truce, so I think I can listen to both now:

Littleman Entertainment along with the company’s creator, Joey Fatale, will no longer participate in this battle with Tiny Kiss. Minikiss has been around for eight good damn years and has a lot of love from fans ranging from ten and up, including Gene Simmons. This battle is destroying both Minikiss and Tiny Kiss. We are both getting bad press no matter what is said. Tons of people are saying negative statements about both of us. However the line has to be drawn at some point. Tiny Kiss doesn’t care about the word midget so it seems to me that no one is making progress except the Fat Sweaty Guy. He is making people say stupid things and knows that he truthfully copied Minikiss. But we are done with this shit…Minikiss is done with interviews/TV/radio on this subject.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:31 pm

That sounds like something from a Tom Waits song, like the story that a journalist friend of mine is trying to sell about (adopt Waitsian growl) "a one-legged soccer team from Sierra Leone."

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:48 pm

IT WHIPPED A DONKEY'S ASS. that is all.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:26 pm

thinsafetypin wrote:IT WHIPPED A DONKEY'S ASS. that is all.

And the Chinese Democracy tunes?

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:18 pm

I was never a Guns and Roses fan, but a close friend in the music industry got free tickets for my wife and I (Hammerstein Ballroom- NY, NY). My wife was a Guns and Roses fan, back in the day (When my buddy called with tickets, it was 45 minutes before doors opened, we had to jump in a cab and head straight over).

DUE CREDIT- The show was better than I expected, and they did a T.Rex cover (embarrassing special appearance by Sebastian Bach, not withstanding), and Ron Thal's Bumblefoot guitar solo, with heckler outcry was the highlight: During a "puctuated pause" during his solo, a loud shoutout of "NICE GUITAR, ASSHOLE!!!" earned uproarious laughter and possibly one of the largest applauses of the show.

FYI-
If you're a G-N-R fan, there's a local band here in NYC getting a lot of local attention called Diablo Rayale. I don't know that they'll ever break out of the local scene (too early to say), but they have a lot of appeal for G-N-R fans, so if you're into that, check them out:

http://www.diabloroyale.net/

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:28 pm

worpswede wrote:And the Chinese Democracy tunes?

yeah, they did 4 chinese democracy songs at the show i went to: the blues, better, madagascar and IRS.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:38 pm

thinsafetypin wrote:yeah, they did 4 chinese democracy songs at the show i went to: the blues, better, madagascar and IRS.

...but how were those Chinese Democracy tunes, in relation to the rest of the show? And tied in with that, how well were they performed live (assuming you caught the leaked demos earlier this year)? Did they kill the momentum of the show?

Return to “Rants and Raves”