Wonderwall

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Wonderwall

Postby hebrew hammer » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:53 pm

I realize my opinion is of little or no (mostly no) consequence, so I don't have a blog or anything of that sorts to express my opinion in, but I have to say this somewhere: Wonderwall is an amazing fucking song. I always thought Oasis were just a bunch of pompous britpop assholes, and I guess they still are, but holy crap. I listened to this song for some reason, and then I downloaded it cause it fucking blew me away, and I realize that this song was only relevant about a decade and a half ago, but I don't care. It's fucking awesome. I can't believe I lived so long without listening to it. But what really kills me is how a band can create such a perfectly amazing song, but make such complete shit otherwise. Oasis have no other songs I'd spend money on (then again, I didn't drop any change on Wonderwall, but that's besides the point.) I'm considering buying What's the Story (Morning Glory) just for the hell of it. I could love the fucking album. I haven't given it a chance. Anyway, can anyone name any other bands that crafted such a great song (not album) but never made anything else worthwhile?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:02 pm

I pretty much agree about Oasis, but I love the"Champagne Supernover in the Sky." DP and Loftus both LOVE the Oases though, so I'm def in the minority among my posse.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:58 am

I'm in the exact situation, Jake. I like "Wonderwall," "Champagne Supernova," and "Don't Look Back in Anger" and I hate the rest of their stuff. But all my friends love them. As for other bands, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:46 am

Well, there's the Starland Vocal Band. "Afternoon Delight" rules so hard, but their death metal crossover comeback album in 1988 was abysmal.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:08 am

Bah! Jake loves more Oasis than he's letting on. For a while I was putting a new Oasis song on every mix I made for him--and he loved it.

Buy What's the Story and see how it fits. It's a great album, to be sure. Then get their debut Definitely Maybe, which has some excellent pub rockers and the awesome "Live Forever".

I have liked all their albums except Be Here Now, which still has a few great tracks. And their snotty mouths and rediculous bragging is part of why I like them. They maintain a stupid Rock attitude. Thank God someone is!

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:44 pm

how about the La's "there she goes"...such a great pop gem...but nothing else from them comes close to replicating that song or anything else of note.

skyflynn
GLONO Board Playa

Postby skyflynn » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:48 pm

If by that you mean they never topped that album, of course, you're right. They never recorded again as far as I know. But the song Timeless Melody is a pretty perfect pop gem on the same album.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:12 pm

I'm gonna give What's the Story a shot. What's the worst that could happen, besides having to eat my words?

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Re: Wonderwall

Postby steve-o » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:08 pm

hebrew hammer wrote:Anyway, can anyone name any other bands that crafted such a great song (not album) but never made anything else worthwhile?

The Foo Fighters never put out a lot of memorable stuff, but "Everlong" is probably one of my top 5 all time favorite songs. Never cared much for Better Than Ezra either (one of those late 90s alt bands for those who don't remember), but "At the Stars" is a fucking amazing song.

I admit I recently had revise my hatred towards Oasis. And I have to say, Definitely Maybe is worth picking up if you feel like giving them another chance.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:34 pm

hebrew hammer wrote:I'm gonna give What's the Story a shot. What's the worst that could happen, besides having to eat my words?

You won't have to. It's a great album. The biggest complaint is that the band released two great albums, listened to their own hype, and couldn't manage to replicate their promise. Regardless of how irritating they are, or how disapointing they turned out to be, the first two albums are awesome.

Return to “Rants and Raves”